Weird Food You Eat.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Weird Food You Eat.
(19-08-2012 12:58 PM)cufflink Wrote:  DLJ--Hmm. There's gotta be some local fruits you like. Rambutan? (They're kinda dull, but OK.) Duku? Langsat? They have those in Malaysia--smooth-skinned shiny fruits, dusty yellow, about the size of a walnut, with little sections inside tasting somewhat like grapefruit. I could never tell them apart, although to the locals it was like apples and oranges. ("A catty of those dukus, please." "Dukus??? These are langsats." I thought I had the word wrong. The following week: "I'd like some of those langsats, please." "These? These are dukus!") I felt like they were gas-lighting me.

Kim--Yup, adventurous eating is one of life's great pleasures. Glad you feel the same. My two major extended foreign experiences were Malaysia and Iran, both of which had amazing food. I've mentioned elsewhere about how Iranians love to cook meat together with fruit and vegetables. Fesenjaan--duck or chicken cooked in pomegranate and walnut sauce--is not to be missed.

As for dragon fruit, it's visually incredible but tastewise pretty meh. Surprisingly watery and bland. But boy does it make an impact on a plate!

Erx--I've never had duck feet, but chicken feet aren't bad! I used to teach a course for international students, mostly from east Asia, and towards the end of every semester I would take them out on a Saturday or Sunday morning for dim sum at a local Chinese restaurant. Among the little dishes on the carts that came around to the tables were two different varieties of chicken feet, which I surprised (and I think delighted) my students by ordering. I would recommend the hot braised chicken feet over the cold, jelled variety, however.

Dim sum in Hong Kong is where I had duck's feet. I've had chicken feet several times and the taste is fine, I just don't find them worthwhile to eat because of the bones. Duck, however, is as rubbery as the web feet imply. Not really a fan of chewing rubber, which is also why I don't enjoy squid or octopus very much.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2012, 01:14 PM
RE: Weird Food You Eat.
(19-08-2012 12:28 PM)kim Wrote:  Great stories Cuff! You're so lucky to be well travelled - I'm an adventure eater as well! Smile
Sweet or not; Crème Chantilly - YUM!! As for the French language - I also speak it like a toddler but hey... your story is proof that sometimes, it can pay off. Wink

Cuff or D -
I've seen the dragon fruit at my local Asian market, but I've not tried it. It's so beautiful, what's it like?

Mmm... I like Mangosteens! Smile

It's like a very mild kiwi, in my opinion. It's more fun than delicious, as far as flavour goes. It's pretty and I have to take pictures every time I get one.

Cuff, those were the best stories, I laughed out loud at the garlicky office scenario. Ha ha! But that dish sounds amazing, I'd love to try it! Garlic is a staple in our house.
19-08-2012, 01:18 PM
(18-08-2012 04:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Occasionally I'll have sushi. But with that much soy and wasabi you could be eating snot and you couldn't tell. Sadcryface

Sushi is the best! I LOVE it. I make some good sushi, too. Big Grin

My father in law tells everyone in the family that my cooking is horrible, but that's because I don't cook mennonite food, I have more ethnic (by Canadian standards) food taste. I should make him dishes from all these weird foods just to strengthen his case against my cooking Evil_monster
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
19-08-2012, 01:20 PM
Cuffs,
Yup. Funnily enough, I tried the langsat/duku only last week. Here it's called langseh.
The stall owner peeled one for me and I said "Hey, it's grapefruit!" The owner gave me one of those "Ah! Silly foreigner" looks. They don't keep long, I've discovered (the fruit, I mean, not the stall owners).

I'm ok with all of those (longan and all the lychee-like fruits) though they all taste prety much the same to me too.
Mangosteen tastes a bit ... urm... chemical, to me. I don't like the aftertaste.

19-08-2012, 01:22 PM
OH Cuff - you mentioned Malaysian and that got me thinking of Indonesian food - I'm a serious Gado-gado freak. I could probably eat just about anything bathed in the stuff everyday... let's face it, it's really just gravy... but oooooh mmmm, gravy.

Ok. I'm going to lunch. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-08-2012, 01:25 PM
(19-08-2012 01:20 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Mangosteen tastes a bit ... urm... chemical, to me. I don't like the aftertaste.
They do have that odd astringent thing going on... I kind of like that - it's kind of refreshing in summer.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Anyone of these might be weird to some folks. But put together, they're making one hell of a magic sandwich right now:

Braunschweiger
Pepper Jack Cheese
Miracle Whip
Sweet Pickles
Dill Potato Chips
Wheat Bread.

Yum.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
19-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Dash of pepper on strawberry jam toast.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
19-08-2012, 03:49 PM
There are some things I think I wouldn't even have eaten back when I was really hungry. For example LadyJanes Millenium-Eggs aka rotten egg. Basically you let the egg rot so much that chemics take over and I am not sure that it is still healthy. I have a pretty weird digestive tracks, that will reject some things (I don't vomit but my body won't let me swallow even if I try).

One thing cufflinks long post just reminded me of was how I received food when I first came to Romania. I wasn't used to meat that much because I didn't like it a lot, still don't like it a lot. And when they cook nice they will make a HUGE plate with all kinds of meat, all cooked together. And that is really weird for me because I did not think you could mix so many kinds of meat and enjoy that.
So my very first meal in Romania, at my hubby's mother's house was a huge bowl full of different meats, pulenta, white joghurt, cheese, fish fingers, and a bit of salad. At that time I did not know that kind of pulenta and I did not eat much Big Grin I had a lot of salad but the rest I just tried a little. Was to freaky for me.

Then when I came to Ireland I found white beans in tomato sauce served with bacon and potatoe rashes... And weird enough I really liked that combo! Actually the Irish have some really good food! Although they mix things weirdly. But I like it! Big Grin

When I was younger I would sometimes pick something up from the turkish palce and it was always delicious. I tell you, the Turkish now to dine! There is this kind of sweetish bread roll thing but it is filled with some kind of crumbly white cheese. Dunno what cheese it is but omg that things is so delicious. Then there is something they make with puff pastry and it also has this cheese and spinach in it, and some really nice conduments. Or do you know these things, those very sweet things, I never knew the name but it is also puff pastry and some kind of very sweet nutty filling, and it is stored in some sweet liquid.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
19-08-2012, 04:23 PM
(19-08-2012 03:35 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Anyone of these might be weird to some folks. But put together, they're making one hell of a magic sandwich right now:

Braunschweiger
Pepper Jack Cheese
Miracle Whip
Sweet Pickles
Dill Potato Chips
Wheat Bread.

Yum.

Just curious... have you started to feel a bit sick when you wake up in the morning?