Weird antique alphabet blocks

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 09:28 PM
RE: Weird antique alphabet blocks
(15-05-2017 12:47 PM)kmc Wrote:  Don't forget that talk of the Devil and demons was fairly widespread in bygone eras. Our current culture is a mix of pearl-clutching fundamentalism *and* pearl-clutching protect-the-children-ism. I hold a more modern view of whether to traumatize children to elicit good behavior, but religious people used to take a much less "The Secret"-influenced approach to evil and, rather, talked about and depicted evil things with regularity, especially in children's books and toys, so that they would know what to fear.

i.e., Grimm's Fairy Tales. Some grotesque shit, there. Cinderella's stepsisters mutilated their feet to try on the glass slipper, for instance.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
19-05-2017, 12:55 AM
(18-05-2017 09:28 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(15-05-2017 12:47 PM)kmc Wrote:  Don't forget that talk of the Devil and demons was fairly widespread in bygone eras. Our current culture is a mix of pearl-clutching fundamentalism *and* pearl-clutching protect-the-children-ism. I hold a more modern view of whether to traumatize children to elicit good behavior, but religious people used to take a much less "The Secret"-influenced approach to evil and, rather, talked about and depicted evil things with regularity, especially in children's books and toys, so that they would know what to fear.

i.e., Grimm's Fairy Tales. Some grotesque shit, there. Cinderella's stepsisters mutilated their feet to try on the glass slipper, for instance.

The Brothers Grimm were appropriately-named, that's for sure. Cannibal witches and whatnot.
19-05-2017, 08:10 AM
(12-05-2017 08:40 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  America is definitely the country bumpkin

In this case it's a country of blockheads.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
19-05-2017, 08:58 AM
Going by the representations of different countries and the soldiers, they seem to be Victorian english. From the Dickens days, so mid 19th century.

Must have been quite pricey when they were new. So there's a bet they were intended for upper middle class children. Would be interesting if you could find out who manufactured these.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
19-05-2017, 11:02 AM
(19-05-2017 08:58 AM)abaris Wrote:  Going by the representations of different countries and the soldiers, they seem to be Victorian english. From the Dickens days, so mid 19th century.

Must have been quite pricey when they were new. So there's a bet they were intended for upper middle class children. Would be interesting if you could find out who manufactured these.

Unfortunately, there are no maker labels. A history forum I belong to helped me pinpoint them to circa 1860.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-05-2017, 11:25 AM
(19-05-2017 11:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  A history forum I belong to helped me pinpoint them to circa 1860.

Yeah, that's what I would have guessed. Somewhere between 1850 and 1860, going by how they represent the style of different countries.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]