Weird argument - positive integer proves god?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-06-2017, 03:56 AM
RE: Weird argument - positive integer proves god?
I think whilst it may be 'wrong', there is a way to make 1=2 using algebra, so using maths to prove fictional characters exist is probably not the best idea.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2017, 11:34 PM
ok math is purely conceptual, its just a byproduct of linguistic conventions being acted upon by arbitrary rules leading to their natural conclusion

numbers are just language and nothing else

1 apple = an apple
2 apple = an apple and another apple
7 apples = an apple and another apple and another apple and another apple and another apple and another apple and another apple

As you can see it gets really long and tedious and impossible to even remember how many there are after you have enough of em involved so you make new words that represents a specific quantity to save time, energy, thats how numbers were invented.
Addition, subtraction, division and multiplication are basically just making numbers interact with each other via arbitrary rules

The only reason 1+1 = 2 is because 2 is defined as an addition of 1 with another 1, its only true because definition wouldn't allow for anything else

if 1 was defined as just a singular unit and 2 was defined as the sum of three singular units then 1+1=/=2 but would rather result in 1+1+1=2 for no other reason than because the definition wouldn't allow it to be anything else. And all definitions are true so long as they are consistent, non-contradictory and people agree to use the same definition

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
27-06-2017, 05:50 AM
(26-06-2017 03:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think whilst it may be 'wrong', there is a way to make 1=2 using algebra, so using maths to prove fictional characters exist is probably not the best idea.

a = b

[*a] a^2 = ab

[-b^2] a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2

[factorise] (a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)

[/(a-b)] a+b=b

[a=b] b+b=b

2b=b

2=1

GOD

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2017, 06:38 AM
(27-06-2017 05:50 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(26-06-2017 03:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  I think whilst it may be 'wrong', there is a way to make 1=2 using algebra, so using maths to prove fictional characters exist is probably not the best idea.

a = b

[*a] a^2 = ab

[/(a-b)] a+b=b

[a=b] b+b=b

2b=b

2=1

GOD

It is unfortunately not a proof Tongue Nice try though. There's another one that 1 = -1 I've seen as well.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
28-06-2017, 08:37 PM
(27-06-2017 06:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  There's another one that 1 = -1 I've seen as well.

i = sqrt(-1)
i^2 = ( sqrt(-1) )^2 = -1
i^3 = i^2 * i = -1 * i = -i
i^4 = i^2 * i^2 = (-1)*(-1) = 1
i^6 = i^4 * i^2 = 1 * (-1) = -1

Therefore....

i^2 = (-1) = i^6
sqrt(i^2) = sqrt (i^6)
i = i^3
i = -i
i/i = -i/i
1 = -1 Q.E.D.

Much like mathematical proofs for gods, this proof was imaginary.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
28-06-2017, 11:55 PM
(27-06-2017 06:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 05:50 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  a = b

[*a] a^2 = ab

[/(a-b)] a+b=b

[a=b] b+b=b

2b=b

2=1

GOD

It is unfortunately not a proof Tongue Nice try though. There's another one that 1 = -1 I've seen as well.

For sure. I used to give it to people as a challenge to see if they could spot the problematic step. Relatively few could.

It's the step where I divide by (a-b), which is equal to zero (look at the first statement in the "proof"). Dividing by zero isn't "allowed" as it removes all meaning from any mathematical statement. Technically speaking, the division operator is explicitly defined so that it cannot take zero as its second argument. Basically this is saying 2*0=1*0 [correct] so 2=1. But you cannot "cancel out" zeros from an equation like you can other numbers.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
29-06-2017, 12:23 AM
(28-06-2017 11:55 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(27-06-2017 06:38 AM)morondog Wrote:  It is unfortunately not a proof Tongue Nice try though. There's another one that 1 = -1 I've seen as well.

For sure. I used to give it to people as a challenge to see if they could spot the problematic step. Relatively few could.

It's the step where I divide by (a-b), which is equal to zero (look at the first statement in the "proof"). Dividing by zero isn't "allowed" as it removes all meaning from any mathematical statement. Technically speaking, the division operator is explicitly defined so that it cannot take zero as its second argument. Basically this is saying 2*0=1*0 [correct] so 2=1. But you cannot "cancel out" zeros from an equation like you can other numbers.

Yup, I'm familiar with that one. I first saw it as a freshman in high school and puzzled it out in under a minute. (When in doubt, plug in numbers, just to get a feel for it.)

But you forgot the OTHER problem with that proof.

"God" is a non-sequitur.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-06-2017, 01:02 AM
Wait, what! Someone told me that part was totally cool. Now I stop and look at it...

29-06-2017, 06:45 PM
(27-06-2017 05:50 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  

a = b

[*a] a^2 = ab

[/(a-b)] a+b=b

[a=b] b+b=b

2b=b

2=1

GOD

> How does that old saying go?

> "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit." Thumbsup