Weird science news

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2012, 12:18 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 12:25 AM by Bucky Ball.)
Weird science news
Who'd a thunk Scotland had such a diverse genetic pool, and that porridge changed everything.
http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sco...-1-2465715

You can have your male lineage tested, and your mitochondrial line determined also.
They know we are all related to Mitochondrial Eve, ( about 200,000 years ago), and another "Adam", ( 140, 000 years ago), who never met. Weird.

http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join....tish-Clans

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/p...cestry-kit

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2012, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 16-08-2012 09:05 AM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Weird science news
(16-08-2012 12:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can have your male lineage tested, and your mitochondrial line determined also.
They know we are all related to Mitochondrial Eve, ( about 200,000 years ago), and another "Adam", ( 140, 000 years ago), who never met. Weird.

I've explained on another thread why the two never met. It really isn't weird if you think about it. The men and women of the original small human population of Africa passed on their genes just like everybody else does. But not all of those separate lineages survived. Some of the original people either didn't have children due to injury, disease, or death, or someone in their lineage down the line didn't have children due to those same reasons. Countless lineages have gone extinct just like different animals species. The Mitochondrial DNA (that passed from a mother to her children) of one woman was lucky enough to survive the dangers of prehistoric life to be passed on to every human alive. The Y chromosome of one man born thousands of years later was also lucky enough to survive as well. The chart below is a good illustration. Notice how some of the top lineages either don't get started or stop only a few generations down. The black figures represent Mitochondrial Eve's lineage:

[Image: MtDNA-MRCA-generations-Evolution.svg]
I've always wanted to get my DNA tested to know more about my most recent ancestors (as in the last few hundred years) and my ancient ancestors (as in my haplogroup). The only thing that stops me is the price. I'll wait until it goes down in the future.

For those wishing to know about early human migration and the splintering and spreading of haplogroups, you should watch this documentary:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Weird science news
(16-08-2012 09:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 12:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You can have your male lineage tested, and your mitochondrial line determined also.

I've explained on another thread why the two never met. It really isn't weird if you think about it. The men and women of the original small human population of Africa passed on their genes just like everybody else does. But not all of those separate lineages survived. Some of the original people either didn't have children due to injury, disease, or death, or someone in their lineage down the line didn't have children due to those same reasons. Countless lineages have gone extinct just like different animals species. The Mitochondrial DNA (that passed from a mother to her children) of one woman was lucky enough to survive the dangers of prehistoric life to be passed on to every human alive. The Y chromosome of one man born thousands of years later was also lucky enough to survive as well. The chart below is a good illustration. Notice how some of the top lineages either don't get started or stop only a few generations down. The black figures represent Mitochondrial Eve's lineage:

[Image: MtDNA-MRCA-generations-Evolution.svg]
I've always wanted to get my DNA tested to know more about my most recent ancestors (as in the last few hundred years) and my ancient ancestors (as in my haplogroup). The only thing that stops me is the price. I'll wait until it goes down in the future.

For those wishing to know about early human migration and the splintering and spreading of haplogroups, you should watch this documentary:

Not a bad explanation but Occam's Razor says to accept the simplest explanation: Mitochondrial Eve was a little slut and she couldn't remember who it was who knocked her up.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Well, we don't like to talk about it the way you guys do but... we women... we like to play the field. The new guy comes to town... he's different... not like the same old, predictable ones, who all think they understand us - think they have us pegged. No, this new one...he is our "Roman Holiday" our "wild oat". We know we only have a short time before we know we have to settle down and be responsible for taking our stab at evolution... or whatever the kids are calling it these days. The female of our species has an innate understanding of the future. Sorry 'bout that.... but not really. Wink

(16-08-2012 09:02 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've always wanted to get my DNA tested to know more about my most recent ancestors (as in the last few hundred years) and my ancient ancestors (as in my haplogroup). The only thing that stops me is the price. I'll wait until it goes down in the future.

I would love to have my DNA tested ... I think I'm the last Neanderthal!! Big Grin
How much does it cost - is it really that expensive? I don't know what I would use it for other than to satisfy curiosity... although, it could have some medical value, as well.
Stand back ... Consider thinking is when I get dangerous ...

Maybe, if testing were more popularly promoted, expense would go down and it would get more investment funding. I should do it and start tweeting and facebooking about it... really get DNA testing into the social spotlight.

Attention Atheists: Your chance to be personally involved in a mainstream project. Lets take science to the streets! Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-08-2012, 10:30 AM
(16-08-2012 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Mitochondrial Eve was a little slut and she couldn't remember who it was who knocked her up.

Jealous. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
16-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Weird science news
(16-08-2012 10:30 AM)kim Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Mitochondrial Eve was a little slut and she couldn't remember who it was who knocked her up.

Jealous. Dodgy

It's just the way it is. You meet a chick and find out how wild she used to be, only now she says she's reformed her ways and won't be having another ménage with you. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
16-08-2012, 10:43 AM
(16-08-2012 10:25 AM)kim Wrote:  I would love to have my DNA tested ... I think I'm the last Neanderthal!! Big Grin
How much does it cost - is it really that expensive?

Check out the prices on the last two links in the first post.
16-08-2012, 10:50 AM
(16-08-2012 10:37 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 10:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Jealous. Dodgy

It's just the way it is. You meet a chick and find out how wild she used to be, only now she says she's reformed her ways and won't be having another ménage with you. Weeping

Well, yea. Drinking Beverage
Around 40+ there is a sweet spot, you know.
The "post divorce" time frame is "our year of living dangerously". Use this information discretely and wisely and honestly and you may make many friends ... with benefits.

I have spoken. Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-08-2012, 11:28 AM
(16-08-2012 10:43 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-08-2012 10:25 AM)kim Wrote:  I would love to have my DNA tested ... I think I'm the last Neanderthal!! Big Grin
How much does it cost - is it really that expensive?

Check out the prices on the last two links in the first post.

OOps - m'bad. I was distracted by first article.

Hmm... up front, it doesn't look all that expensive. However, there seems to be different "depths" of knowledge. Not sure which to choose. Blink For I am somewhat a goofball.

I guess I would go for the comprehensive test - for genealogy and anthropology - Super DNA $518 and the Comprehensive Genome $797. I think that would give the most in-depth information I could afford.

But I guess I have to ask; what depth is necessary? National Geographic is offering the pretty box with explanation at $200 smackers. Consider I don't give a crap about the pretty box; I want to know if I came from a caveman in Scotland or a caveman in the Congo. I want what will help gather the most scientific information.

See... if you tell me that I can find out if I came from the Congo or Scotland for $797, I have to weigh that against the new flat screen TV I've been saving up for... or the new set of tires ... or the cheap-ass vacation I was planning. Gonna be a hard sell for the average American - even the scientifically conscientious ones. Undecided

NGO has the right idea - we just need to make sure it is at a comparable level of the Super DNA test... or even the Comprehensive Genome test. I think that would provide the greater in-depth, scientific prospects.

16-08-2012, 12:17 PM
(16-08-2012 11:28 AM)kim Wrote:  See... if you tell me that I can find out if I came from the Congo or Scotland for $797, I have to weigh that against the new flat screen TV I've been saving up for... or the new set of tires ... or the cheap-ass vacation I was planning. Gonna be a hard sell for the average American - even the scientifically conscientious ones. Undecided

That's my way of thinking. The second that I spend $100-$200 or more on this, my car will end up breaking down.

Quote:NGO has the right idea - we just need to make sure it is at a comparable level of the Super DNA test... or even the Comprehensive Genome test. I think that would provide the greater in-depth, scientific prospects.

From what I understand, the NGO test only tells you what your Haplogroup is. If you are of European descent, then your group is one of these. That narrows it down a bit. The documentary that I linked above says that people in Europe are descended from people who came from Central Asia. This is because a group split in India and headed towards that area. Those in India can be traced back to Saudi Arabia and then Africa.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post