Weird shit happens to me at grocery stores...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2018, 02:18 PM

RE: Weird shit happens to me at grocery stores...
(06-03-2018 01:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Emma, your stories sound like Walmart horror stories. I spend most of my time at the store trying to stop my six-year-old from causing damage I'm going to have to pay for. Last night, she was getting milk, and when she got to the refrigerated section, she just speeds up, and lets go of the cart to get some milk. If I weren't right there to grab the cart, it would have crashed into two people who were just a few feet away. Luckily, they thought it was pretty funny.

(06-03-2018 01:39 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Side Note: Why is it called Manwich?

It's been a very long time since I've heard it called that, but I do remember the name. I would have guessed it's a manly sandwich, or something, but I don't really know.

That was my first though too--This sounds like Walmart Laugh out load Clearly the world would come to an end if that guy didn't find the Manwich. Wink

Emma, hugs to you Heart Sorry you had to deal with those weirdos.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
06-03-2018, 02:25 PM
LOL.

Gee, it's good to know that it's not just me. I've had so many weird in-store experiences that I've come to hate shopping, and do it as seldom as necessary. If it's not being mistaken for an employee, it's getting followed around by a store dick who's pegged me as a likely shoplifting suspect.

'course, to be fair, I do sometimes mess with their heads.
Smile

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
06-03-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm the queen of weird shit happening at grocery stores. Most often our local Safeway. I've always got a story about it when I get home.

One person asked me if Clamato was vegan. I said I didn't think so, it's got Clam Juice in it. They then asked what would be a vegan alternative....

Fucking tomato juice you stupid twat. No I didn't say it, I just walked away. I've learned to not make any eye contact with anyone in any store. It's better that way. I just look at my shopping list or pretend to be reading a label.

There are several checkers that I actively avoid. One in particular just annoys the shit out of me. We'll call him smarmy guy. He just annoys the crap out of me. He looks at each purchase and makes a comment. Then he comments on my payment, "yay it went through" or "Oh what's this? Dollar bills I've never seen this, better check that they're real." Yeah, because I might be printing up $1s and $5s in my basement.

There's a lady who is just off the bat weird. She's argued with me on more than one occasion, interjecting herself into a conversation she didn't belong....she whines. "Oh that gallon of milk is too heavy for me. Just leave it in the cart and I'll just punch in the code." which she does at the wrong fucking price. Then she gets totally bitchy when I point out it's wrong. She's one of those people with her thumb on the scale and has given me back the wrong amount of change more than once.

Then there's the other person who a bit like smarmy guy but female. She always has weird things in her hair and is useless when bagging my stuff. I always bring my own bags. She constantly overlooks them and starts putting my purchases into plastic bags. I don't want plastic bags. I've got reusable mesh bags for veggies and fruits, she always comments on them, "why do you use those?" or something else equally vapid. It's never positive.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-03-2018, 02:31 PM
(06-03-2018 02:09 PM)julep Wrote:  One of the less-than-fun things about being female: random strangers thinking that they have a right to critique the look on your face and also to call you a bitch if you don't respond flirtatiously to their overtures.

A harmless but extremely annoying geezer serenaded me one Sunday morning in the grocery store. I ran for the checkout lanes and wound up buying my peanut butter somewhere else.

Ugh- for real! I mean, I didn't doubt it at all before and I knew what I was getting into even though I never had to deal with anything like this living as a guy. I'd heard the stories from my wife, and from most other women. Still- it's really weird and sometimes a bit scary. That first guy, the "baby-girl" guy gave me the creeps so much that I kept looking over my shoulder as I shopped. I knew he was leaving, but I was still that creeped out.

The Manwich dude just felt entitled to "service with a smile" or something. And really what made me angry was that after he called me a "bitch" (or so I am pretty sure I heard, but not completely certain) I felt ashamed of my reaction and a bit scared- like it was my fault for overreacting and that I needed to de-escalate. So my gut reaction (and what I did) at that point was to apologize and and that I wasn't in a bad mood. As I walked away from there, that's made me very angry with myself. Because I didn't do anything wrong! I just wasn't all smiles with the guy.

I do try to be nice to strangers generally, but this dude caught me by surprise and his question was really jarring- and if he really did clock me, and was mocking me, or just was generally following me because I'm a woman, potentially dangerous.

(06-03-2018 02:18 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 01:46 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Emma, your stories sound like Walmart horror stories

That was my first though too--This sounds like Walmart Laugh out load Clearly the world would come to an end if that guy didn't find the Manwich. Wink

Emma, hugs to you Heart Sorry you had to deal with those weirdos.

Yeah, and it's because of stuff like that that I avoid Walmart! I'm starting to think that the problem isn't Wamart, maybe the problem is Florida! Unsure

Aaaanyway- I have more similar stories since transition, but not really as weird as those three.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
06-03-2018, 02:37 PM
(06-03-2018 02:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm the queen of weird shit happening at grocery stores. Most often our local Safeway. I've always got a story about it when I get home.

One person asked me if Clamato was vegan. I said I didn't think so, it's got Clam Juice in it. They then asked what would be a vegan alternative....

Fucking tomato juice you stupid twat. No I didn't say it, I just walked away. I've learned to not make any eye contact with anyone in any store. It's better that way. I just look at my shopping list or pretend to be reading a label.

There are several checkers that I actively avoid. One in particular just annoys the shit out of me. We'll call him smarmy guy. He just annoys the crap out of me. He looks at each purchase and makes a comment. Then he comments on my payment, "yay it went through" or "Oh what's this? Dollar bills I've never seen this, better check that they're real." Yeah, because I might be printing up $1s and $5s in my basement.

There's a lady who is just off the bat weird. She's argued with me on more than one occasion, interjecting herself into a conversation she didn't belong....she whines. "Oh that gallon of milk is too heavy for me. Just leave it in the cart and I'll just punch in the code." which she does at the wrong fucking price. Then she gets totally bitchy when I point out it's wrong. She's one of those people with her thumb on the scale and has given me back the wrong amount of change more than once.

Then there's the other person who a bit like smarmy guy but female. She always has weird things in her hair and is useless when bagging my stuff. I always bring my own bags. She constantly overlooks them and starts putting my purchases into plastic bags. I don't want plastic bags. I've got reusable mesh bags for veggies and fruits, she always comments on them, "why do you use those?" or something else equally vapid. It's never positive.

OH MAN! I haaaate it when people comment on what I'm buying! I'm sure they're bored as hell, but- what I buy and why is my own business! I've complained to a manager before about that type of behavior. I don't mind when people says stuff like, "Oh, I've always wanted to try this!" or "I love these things!" or whatever, but other less-positive remarks just always come off as judgey and there's just no room for that shit. Ugh!

Also- LOL @ the person wanting to know if Clamato is vegan! Or what a vegan alternative is! Just... look it up on the internet! Why would you assume other rando shoppers would know?!
06-03-2018, 02:39 PM
I can't think of anything approaching that level of crazy that's ever happened to me Confused God there're some real arseholes out there.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-03-2018, 02:55 PM
I couldn't tell if the dudes asking me how many jobs I have were remarking on the amount of groceries I was getting or if they were commenting that I look like a prostitute or something. It was very strange, and made me feel very self-conscious.

I don't have a problem with prostitution at all. It's just that, I don't really want to look like what people think a sex worker looks like. I guess? I've gotten looks before- but usually from other women who are looking me up and down and then judging me. Undecided

Maybe I was dressed a little risque, but that's the extent of it.
06-03-2018, 03:02 PM
(06-03-2018 02:55 PM)Emma Wrote:  I couldn't tell if the dudes asking me how many jobs I have were remarking on the amount of groceries I was getting or if they were commenting that I look like a prostitute or something. It was very strange, and made me feel very self-conscious.

I don't have a problem with prostitution at all. It's just that, I don't really want to look like what people think a sex worker looks like. I guess? I've gotten looks before- but usually from other women who are looking me up and down and then judging me. Undecided

Maybe I was dressed a little risque, but that's the extent of it.

They wanted to make you aware that they were thinking of you in a sexual way is my guess - gives them a power trip feeling. How you were dressed had nothing to do with it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
06-03-2018, 03:09 PM
(06-03-2018 02:37 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 02:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm the queen of weird shit happening at grocery stores. Most often our local Safeway. I've always got a story about it when I get home.

OH MAN! I haaaate it when people comment on what I'm buying! I'm sure they're bored as hell, but- what I buy and why is my own business! I've complained to a manager before about that type of behavior. I don't mind when people says stuff like, "Oh, I've always wanted to try this!" or "I love these things!" or whatever, but other less-positive remarks just always come off as judgey and there's just no room for that shit. Ugh!

Also- LOL @ the person wanting to know if Clamato is vegan! Or what a vegan alternative is! Just... look it up on the internet! Why would you assume other rando shoppers would know?!

It's more than that. Smarmy guy speaks in a tone...like...I dunno....you know the way people talk to little kids or pets or old people? That's the tone...and he's loud. Like if I buy three tomatoes, he counts them out.

He calls the women dear or sweetheart but the way he says it is just...well it's just smarmy. One time I entered my club card, and he's like "Drumroll, wow you saved $2!!!!!!!!!!"

Once I had a basket of stuff I was going to buy, and saw the ONLY check stand was his. I left the basket, and walked out. I sent a text to the Man, saying "I'll have to figure something else for dinner because of smarmy guy." the man, who was at work, told a coworker what I wrote and they said, "I know exactly who she's talking about!"

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-03-2018, 03:35 PM
(06-03-2018 03:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  They wanted to make you aware that they were thinking of you in a sexual way is my guess - gives them a power trip feeling. How you were dressed had nothing to do with it.

Hmm- yeah, that's true. Ugh.

(06-03-2018 03:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 02:37 PM)Emma Wrote:  OH MAN! I haaaate it when people comment on what I'm buying! I'm sure they're bored as hell, but- what I buy and why is my own business! I've complained to a manager before about that type of behavior. I don't mind when people says stuff like, "Oh, I've always wanted to try this!" or "I love these things!" or whatever, but other less-positive remarks just always come off as judgey and there's just no room for that shit. Ugh!

It's more than that. Smarmy guy speaks in a tone...like...I dunno....you know the way people talk to little kids or pets or old people? That's the tone...and he's loud. Like if I buy three tomatoes, he counts them out.

He calls the women dear or sweetheart but the way he says it is just...well it's just smarmy. One time I entered my club card, and he's like "Drumroll, wow you saved $2!!!!!!!!!!"

Once I had a basket of stuff I was going to buy, and saw the ONLY check stand was his. I left the basket, and walked out. I sent a text to the Man, saying "I'll have to figure something else for dinner because of smarmy guy." the man, who was at work, told a coworker what I wrote and they said, "I know exactly who she's talking about!"

Wow- that's really obnoxious! Why do people do that? And does no one tell the management? You almost ought to leave anonymous feedbag on google for that store. Especially since so many other people know exactly who that is, and avoid the store because of it.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post