Weird shit happens to me at grocery stores...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2018, 02:29 PM
RE: Weird shit happens to me at grocery stores...
I have stopped getting angry at poorly paid people who have to deal with the general public.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Yonadav Kenyon's post
07-03-2018, 02:54 PM
(07-03-2018 02:29 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I have stopped getting angry at poorly paid people who have to deal with the general public.

Their pay scale is not really something within my control. But there are reasons that I'm not going to Walmart for groceries and go somewhere else a bit more expensive instead. One reason is because I want to go to a place that treats their employees better, another is that it's a nicer experience as a result. But not everyone has those options.

Grocery shopping is quite often a painful experience, even without the weirdos. And I always feel bad for the cashier when I come through with a cart-full of groceries, even though they don't seem to mind. And I usually apologize for it, especially if it's late in the evening. But it's such an ordeal to go grocery shopping that it's not altogether unusual for the need to do that that leaves us without any food in the house and forces us to go out to eat.

So, I don't abuse people who work in service or lower-paid jobs. I'm not a jerk to them. I don't harass them, or have ridiculous expectations toward them. I've had to do that work, and if I ever need to again, I will. I know that I'm not too good for it. But I do expect to not be treated like a nuisance or ignored just because I'm a customer that was a question, or a request. I will get angry at someone if they behave like an asshole toward me.
[+] 8 users Like Emma's post
07-03-2018, 03:03 PM
(07-03-2018 02:54 PM)Emma Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 02:29 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I have stopped getting angry at poorly paid people who have to deal with the general public.

Their pay scale is not really something within my control. But there are reasons that I'm not going to Walmart for groceries and go somewhere else a bit more expensive instead. One reason is because I want to go to a place that treats their employees better, another is that it's a nicer experience as a result. But not everyone has those options.

Grocery shopping is quite often a painful experience, even without the weirdos. And I always feel bad for the cashier when I come through with a cart-full of groceries, even though they don't seem to mind. And I usually apologize for it, especially if it's late in the evening. But it's such an ordeal to go grocery shopping that it's not altogether unusual for the need to do that that leaves us without any food in the house and forces us to go out to eat.

So, I don't abuse people who work in service or lower-paid jobs. I'm not a jerk to them. I don't harass them, or have ridiculous expectations toward them. I've had to do that work, and if I ever need to again, I will. I know that I'm not too good for it. But I do expect to not be treated like a nuisance or ignored just because I'm a customer that was a question, or a request. I will get angry at someone if they behave like an asshole toward me.

I liked your post. I wasn't my intention to place you on the defensive. I was just expressing that in recent years, I have actually started to prefer dealing with those who obviously don't like their lousy jobs, rather than the people who are desperately pretending to like their work. I'm a bit eccentric.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
[+] 2 users Like Yonadav Kenyon's post
07-03-2018, 03:30 PM
(07-03-2018 03:03 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 02:54 PM)Emma Wrote:  Their pay scale is not really something within my control. But there are reasons that I'm not going to Walmart for groceries and go somewhere else a bit more expensive instead. One reason is because I want to go to a place that treats their employees better, another is that it's a nicer experience as a result. But not everyone has those options.

I liked your post. I wasn't my intention to place you on the defensive. I was just expressing that in recent years, I have actually started to prefer dealing with those who obviously don't like their lousy jobs, rather than the people who are desperately pretending to like their work. I'm a bit eccentric.

There's an odd assumption there, that everyone in a service or lower paying job hates it. There are people who work at service jobs who enjoy them, don't view them as demeaning, and are proud of their work. I've had my share of lousy-paying jobs and liked doing many of them.

However, if you're going to go deliberately to the most disgruntled cashier you can find, more power to you.

I'll admit that I sometimes seek out the angry cashier--because they don't want to chitchat and their lines move quicker. And one of our local Post Office employees is so aggrieved and condescending that whenever I deal with her I can't help but laugh about it later; it feels like I'm interacting with Basil Fawlty.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
07-03-2018, 03:32 PM
(07-03-2018 03:03 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I liked your post. I wasn't my intention to place you on the defensive. I was just expressing that in recent years, I have actually started to prefer dealing with those who obviously don't like their lousy jobs, rather than the people who are desperately pretending to like their work. I'm a bit eccentric.

I hear you- I'll often try to commiserate with those that are willing to express a little bit of their frustration or exhaustion on the job. Like when I ask how they're doing, and they say they're tired, or they're the only one running the store, etc.
07-03-2018, 04:32 PM
(07-03-2018 03:30 PM)julep Wrote:  
(07-03-2018 03:03 PM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I liked your post. I wasn't my intention to place you on the defensive. I was just expressing that in recent years, I have actually started to prefer dealing with those who obviously don't like their lousy jobs, rather than the people who are desperately pretending to like their work. I'm a bit eccentric.

There's an odd assumption there, that everyone in a service or lower paying job hates it. There are people who work at service jobs who enjoy them, don't view them as demeaning, and are proud of their work. I've had my share of lousy-paying jobs and liked doing many of them.

However, if you're going to go deliberately to the most disgruntled cashier you can find, more power to you.

I'll admit that I sometimes seek out the angry cashier--because they don't want to chitchat and their lines move quicker. And one of our local Post Office employees is so aggrieved and condescending that whenever I deal with her I can't help but laugh about it later; it feels like I'm interacting with Basil Fawlty.

My brother used to live in a neighborhood where the local post office was filled with idiots and assholes. He tried avoiding going there as much as possible. He had a friend whose father was a long time post office worker who finally clued him in. His local post office was a dumping ground where the incompetents from other post offices were transferred to get rid of them. Apparently this is a pattern in many larger cities, where some PO is delegated as the dead wood collection center for that city.

“It is impossible for someone to lie unless he thinks he knows the truth. Producing bullshit requires no such conviction.”
― Harry G. Frankfurt, On Bullshit

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
07-03-2018, 05:31 PM
(06-03-2018 09:53 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Could just be you are attractive/approachable and people mistake someone LOOKING approachable for someone actually being approachable.

Certainly not in my case. I look scary. Ask the TSA, that frequently moves me to the "special treatment" line at airports. Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
07-03-2018, 05:36 PM
(07-03-2018 11:50 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You should have seen the time I had a bunch of 2 dollar bills and used them to buy some stuff at the store.

It was pretty funny.

come to think if I were to go to the trouble of counterfeiting money, I might go with those. Consider

Whenever I travel I lay a stock of $2 bills, dollar coins, and if I can get them, half dollars. Just to keep them in circulation.

Not long ago an under-20 cashier at Home Depot called a manager over because she thought I was trying to pass some "foreign money" when I handed her a couple of Suzy B. dollars. Laugh out load

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 3 users Like Dr H's post
07-03-2018, 06:49 PM
(07-03-2018 05:31 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 09:53 PM)RBMG Wrote:  Could just be you are attractive/approachable and people mistake someone LOOKING approachable for someone actually being approachable.

Certainly not in my case. I look scary. Ask the TSA, that frequently moves me to the "special treatment" line at airports. Tongue

Is "special treatment" code for boob-check? Story of my life! I look like a soccer mom, nobody's scared of me, but TSA people seem to like nothing better than to feel me up. And to go through my backpack, which is usually full of those horribly suspicious book thingies.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
07-03-2018, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2018 07:14 PM by Aliza.)
(06-03-2018 01:24 PM)Emma Wrote:  I don't know what it is with me and grocery stores, but it's becoming a pattern. Ugh.

First, last year a dude gets close to me as I was walking into a Publix. He was coming the other way, sees me coming and directs his path and gets real close and as I pass by he whispers, "Hey baby girl" to me in the creepiest way he can manage. Blink

Another time, I'm checking out at a Target with my groceries and these two younger guys get in line behind me. They were talking for a while, and then one pipes up and asks me, "Hey, how many jobs do you have?" Wtf... how asks that? What kind of question is that? I say, "Just one. Why?" And he says, "No reason," and goes back to chatting. Huh Ooookay...

Last night, I was in another Publix and pushing my cart toward the end of one aisle. As I nearly reach the end, some old dude comes around the corner quickly and stops right in front of me, looks at me, and bluntly asks, "Where's the Manwich." "What??" "The Manwich- you know, sloppy joes." "I don't know." "Oh, some help you are." And he meanders away. I look back over my shoulder and say, "Well I don't work here, so of course I wouldn't be..."

Fucking baffling. For a split second, I thought the dude clocked me and was mocking me or something, but then sure enough- he really was looking for sloppy joes...

I finish my shopping, and -of course- the same dude comes up behind me in the express line. UGH! I try to ignore him, but he volunteers, "I found it." "What?" "The Manwich, I found it," he gestures to the can in his cart and then in the direction it was in in the store. I also notice his beer and my suspicion about his drunkenness seems a bit more likely. "Okay..." I turn back, and I swear I hear him mumble, "bitch" behind my back, and I turn again- "What?" "It just seems like you're in a bad mood!" Well I fucking am now! Some creepy drunk dude is demanding the Manwhich and calling me a bitch! Wtf!

Shocking Why me? Huh

Home sweet home!

Oh, and BTW, Shipt FTW.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post