Welcome Theists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Welcome Theists
I've been noticing that some believers on this board (like KC) are welcome, and others (like Egor and PJ) aren't. I've gotten the sense that this is about how they conduct themselves, even if I haven't read every line of drama.

This got me thinking. What sort of believers -- in terms of conduct and personality -- would be welcome on this board? What sort of theist would not be?

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-02-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Welcome Theists
(22-02-2013 12:36 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I've been noticing that some believers on this board (like KC) are welcome, and others (like Egor and PJ) aren't. I've gotten the sense that this is about how they conduct themselves, even if I haven't read every line of drama.

This got me thinking. What sort of believers -- in terms of conduct and personality -- would be welcome on this board? What sort of theist would not be?
Well, I wouldnt say any theist isnt welcome....egor and PJ are welcome here. They havent been banned, they are just trolls.l

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
22-02-2013, 12:40 PM
I can't speak for the board but in real life I am okay with believers that don't think they have to save my soul/convert/recruit me. I have a couple of very devout friends and we have reached a point where religion is not an issue between us in any way...good or bad...other than to sometimes be a topic of discussion.
There is a mutual respect involved. That in large part is what is lacking with Ego® and others who certainly don't act "Christian". Sometimes they preach so much and so loudly that I wonder who they are trying to convince of their "faith"...us or themselves.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
22-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Type of believer? No you misunderstand. We really couldn't care what kind of god, deity, mythical creature, Joe Pesci, and or human that you worship and or pray to. What we care about is if you're a douche bag or not. It's simple. Go ahead and proclaim your love of whatever just don't be a dick about it.

Seriously. It's not that difficult. I'll give you an example.

We love KS because he follows a slightly modified version of my life plan. Step 1: Get money. Step 2: Worship god. (who can guess what my step 2 is?) Step 3: Profit.

We hate Egor because he is what's wrong with religion. He seems to be following this life plan. Step 1: Be a dick. Step 2: Piss off Hamata. Step 3: Learn the meaning of true despair.

That answer the question?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
22-02-2013, 01:02 PM
I refer the honourable member to my previous answer...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid259442

22-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Well of course everyone is welcome!

But Lion has been getting on my nerves a bit lately, he avoids everything thrown at him like an anorexic avoids food.
22-02-2013, 01:40 PM
It is the intellectual dishonesty of Ego/Liar LLC/FreezeJesus that is grating. There are a couple of non-theists on the forum who also grate for the same reason.

If, instead of attempting to argue defensively, they would just honestly say it's a feeling (as KC does) then they would be less annoying. Attempting to appear rational, then using every dishonest trick in the book to avoid actual discussion makes people crazy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-02-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:If, instead of attempting to argue defensively, they would just honestly say it's a feeling (as KC does) then they would be less annoying. Attempting to appear rational, then using every dishonest trick in the book to avoid actual discussion makes people crazy.
Wait, hold the phone. Does KC say he has a feeling of faith? I don't understand, but I am sincerely interested.
I think it's rational to have reasons for believing in something that's true. Feelings can play a role in decisions. Feelings like pain and wariness and love and etc. have good uses and are divine, but...
Thanks.
22-02-2013, 02:23 PM
(22-02-2013 01:46 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Wait, hold the phone. Does KC say he has a feeling of faith? I don't understand, but I am sincerely interested.

I will let KC speak for himself.

(22-02-2013 01:46 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  I think it's rational to have reasons for believing in something that's true. Feelings can play a role in decisions. Feelings like pain and wariness and love and etc. have good uses and are divine, but...
Thanks.

Your reasoning is inverted, it's inside out.

A rational thinker decides truth after he has reasons. That's science.
You appear to go looking for reasons for what you decided was true. That's faith.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
22-02-2013, 02:57 PM
(22-02-2013 01:46 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  ...
Feelings can play a role in decisions. Feelings like pain and wariness and love and etc. have good uses and are divine,

(22-02-2013 02:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
You appear to go looking for reasons for what you decided was true. That's faith.

And to be more specific... there was a 'leap of faith' with the 'divine' assertion.

We have plenty of knowledge regarding feelings and how they evolved. No divinity is required in these models.

Thumbsup

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post