Welcome from Europe!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2017, 08:16 AM
RE: Welcome from Europe!
Welcome! We have other Poles here, as well as other theists (not the same people).

We don't really do a good job of persuading people to leave their religion because that's a religion thing, not an atheism thing.

However, we'd be glad to teach you about critical thinking, the importance of the Scientific Method, and how to tell when you're being fooled by people with an agenda.

If you'd simply like to understand where we're coming from, I'd highly recommend reading Carl Sagan's excellent essays, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection (caution, it's a .pdf file) and "The Dragon in My Garage", read in the video below:

And if you don't... fine! But do us a favor and listen to what we're really saying, rather than what others might have told you we say or think. It's a common mistake theists who come here make. One common misconception we're frequently forced to address is the contention that we just don't like believers. Not so. Just jerks! Smile

Keep that in mind, and you'll find out why some of our highest-reputation members are actually theists who "get it".

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
09-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Hello! Big Grin

Pull up a thread and folk's will be happy to chat.
09-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Fresh meat Evil_monster

Lol welcome, we always appreciate different vantages. I hope you enjoy your stay!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
09-02-2017, 02:05 PM
(08-02-2017 11:24 PM)Mirek-Polska Wrote:  Hello from Poland! My name is Mirek. I am 15 years old, and I am a theist. I am Lutheran. Although I am religious, I would love to see what atheists and agnostics have to say about certain things. It is always nice to see other views/opinions on a particular concept. I am not here to try to convert anyone, I am here simply out of interest. I am very open minded, and may even change my mind if you can do a good job of persuading me to do so Wink

Hugs,
Mirek
Angel

Welcome aboard Smile

Poland happens to be one of the most awesome countries on the planet! Also, us Europeans are clearly cooler than the others. Wink

Your clear ability to be skeptical and think for yourself, rather than blindly following what other people say, is admirable and will be appreciated a lot here!
I promise people are very, very nice! As long as you are nice to them. They don't appreciate religious bullies who don't want to listen when having conversations. They get too much of that out in the "real world" and this is our place where we are free from that.
But you do not seem to be of that negative kind, so you're welcome here!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
09-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Can't wait to read more posts from you, Mirek!

Welcome to TTA Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
09-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Hi mate.

I've been atheist all my life. I have no desire to change your mind. If I wanted that I would visit religious sites. I don't.

Atheists have no common belief. They simply lack belief in unproven supernatural hypothesis.

Many theists who arrive here put their fingers in their ears. Or demand that they "know".

As far as I am concerned, not knowing is fine. It's the journey to discovery I find interesting. Not the fall into a belief system.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
09-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Hi and welcome! Smile Big Grin Evil_monster
09-02-2017, 06:35 PM
Greetings!
09-02-2017, 09:18 PM
(08-02-2017 11:54 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Welcome to TTA.

You're not our only Pole but you might be our only Lutheran. Looking forward to see your views too.

Smile

And with a hearty "Hi-yo Srebro!" The Lone Lutheran!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post