"Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 05:42 PM
"Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"
We've all heard this one before right? You point out all the people that have been murdered in the name of God, and they turn around and say "Well, Stalin (or any other name) was an atheist, so that proves you atheists are evil!"

The problem with that defense is that Stalin didn't kill people in the name of atheism, so whether or not he was atheist is as relevant as whether or not he liked pizza.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
28-01-2014, 05:46 PM
RE: "Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"
Yes, this has been well established on this forum many times.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
28-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Stalin was not human, he was Kryptonian; Man of steel.
28-01-2014, 05:55 PM
(28-01-2014 05:54 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Stalin was not human, he was Kryptonian; Man of steel.

He was Zod.

28-01-2014, 05:59 PM
(28-01-2014 05:42 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We've all heard this one before right? You point out all the people that have been murdered in the name of God, and they turn around and say "Well, Stalin (or any other name) was an atheist, so that proves you atheists are evil!"

The problem with that defense is that Stalin didn't kill people in the name of atheism, so whether or not he was atheist is as relevant as whether or not he liked pizza.

Yeah, not just on this forum but this argument gets trotted out a lot, usually with Hitler who was probably one of those naughty little Catholics! ... It might be interesting to look at this from both points of view though, our discussion in the other thread about Northern Ireland springs to mind here. It started as a secular and political conflict as you rightly pointed out, churches and religious stance came in much later as we discussed, so that, combined with this thread is making me wonder which wars have been atributed to religion where it wasn't the case? ... it's worth addressing, I like to have my factual house in order when antagonising theists Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
28-01-2014, 06:01 PM
Yeah it's the same old Argumentum Ad Hominem fallacy. They tend to forget that Stalin was in a seminary and that Hitler was a declared x-tard.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Re: RE: "Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"
(28-01-2014 05:42 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We've all heard this one before right? You point out all the people that have been murdered in the name of God, and they turn around and say "Well, Stalin (or any other name) was an atheist, so that proves you atheists are evil!"

How about the Hitler was an atheist and evolution led to the Holocaust. Only Hitler was born, raised and died a member of the RCC which he never renounced or was excommunicated from. And he banned Darwin's books from Germany. But I enjoy when Christians use this argument then get all twisted by cognitive dissonance when they hear the truth.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 3 users Like Phil Hill's post
28-01-2014, 06:05 PM
(28-01-2014 05:59 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  

Yeah, not just on this forum but this argument gets trotted out a lot, usually with Hitler who was probably one of those naughty little Catholics! ... It might be interesting to look at this from both points of view though, our discussion in the other thread about Northern Ireland springs to mind here. It started as a secular and political conflict as you rightly pointed out, churches and religious stance came in much later as we discussed, so that, combined with this thread is making me wonder which wars have been atributed to religion where it wasn't the case? ... it's worth addressing, I like to have my factual house in order when antagonising theists Smile

Damn, you beat me to the Hitler punch.
Although, the argument in itself is an Appeal to Authority.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
28-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Its worth elaborating slightly, because theists will just claim religious genocidal maniacs weren't acting "in the name of their religion".

Atheism, unlike religion, is not something you base your life around, it doesn't influence you to do anything. There is nothing you can do "in the name of" atheism...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2014, 06:27 PM
(28-01-2014 06:02 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  

How about the Hitler was an atheist and evolution led to the Holocaust. Only Hitler was born, raised and died a member of the RCC which he never renounced or was excommunicated from. And he banned Darwin's books from Germany. But I enjoy when Christians use this argument then get all twisted by cognitive dissonance when they hear the truth.

Hey, Phil, since you're new to this forum, you are also aware of his famous “I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so” quote, right? Xtards hate it when you trot that one out.... heh...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop