"Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 12:54 PM
RE: "Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"
(31-01-2014 12:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 12:22 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Not really, all Christian avoid the negative commandments to avoid punishment. That is amoral. They do good for eternal reward, once again that is amoral.
You also said "But we know Christians lie." That also needs to be qualified with "some". in the first place, you don't know every Christian to know whether they all lie. Secondly, there is no reason to believe there are none that don't lie. Third, there is no reason to single out Christians on this point. Every group of people that you could think of has at least some in it who lie.

Regarding amoral, how does either example that you gave make someone without morals? How can you categorically claim that an entire group of people is amoral? Again you don't know every one of them and I'd bet you know some who do have moral standards. I'm honestly surprised you attempted to defend this. And, by the way, the second example you gave of doing good for eternal reward also needs to be qualified by "some". Have you ever been a Christian? I was. If so, did you stop doing good when the eternal reward fairy tale became apparent? I didn't. Eternal reward may be a factor, but it's certainly not the only reason probably most Christians do whatever good they do.

He'll call you stupid, idiot or moron for not just accepting what he says as the blanket truth.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-01-2014, 01:08 PM
Re: RE: "Well. So-and-So Was An Atheist!"
(31-01-2014 12:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 12:22 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  Not really, all Christian avoid the negative commandments to avoid punishment. That is amoral. They do good for eternal reward, once again that is amoral.
You also said "But we know Christians lie." That also needs to be qualified with "some". in the first place, you don't know every Christian to know whether they all lie. Secondly, there is no reason to believe there are none that don't lie. Third, there is no reason to single out Christians on this point. Every group of people that you could think of has at least some in it who lie.

Regarding amoral, how does either example that you gave make someone without morals? How can you categorically claim that an entire group of people is amoral? Again you don't know every one of them and I'd bet you know some who do have moral standards. I'm honestly surprised you attempted to defend this. And, by the way, the second example you gave of doing good for eternal reward also needs to be qualified by "some". Have you ever been a Christian? I was. If so, did you stop doing good when the eternal reward fairy tale became apparent? I didn't. Eternal reward may be a factor, but it's certainly not the only reason probably most Christians do whatever good they do.

No it doesn't and it will not be.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 01:11 PM
(31-01-2014 01:08 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 12:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  You also said "But we know Christians lie." That also needs to be qualified with "some". in the first place, you don't know every Christian to know whether they all lie. Secondly, there is no reason to believe there are none that don't lie. Third, there is no reason to single out Christians on this point. Every group of people that you could think of has at least some in it who lie.

No it doesn't and it will not be.
Profound. Dodgy

I guess typing some details so others know what the fuck you are talking about is too much effort. Rolleyes

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
31-01-2014, 01:12 PM
(31-01-2014 12:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 12:51 PM)Impulse Wrote:  You also said "But we know Christians lie." That also needs to be qualified with "some". in the first place, you don't know every Christian to know whether they all lie. Secondly, there is no reason to believe there are none that don't lie. Third, there is no reason to single out Christians on this point. Every group of people that you could think of has at least some in it who lie.

He'll call you stupid, idiot or moron for not just accepting what he says as the blanket truth.

So now you're an instigator? Really great impartial mod technique.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 01:14 PM
(31-01-2014 01:12 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 12:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He'll call you stupid, idiot or moron for not just accepting what he says as the blanket truth.

So now you're an instigator? Really great impartial mod technique.

No, just making a blanket assertion based on your previous behaviors. Carry on.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

31-01-2014, 01:27 PM
(31-01-2014 01:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(31-01-2014 01:12 PM)Phil Hill Wrote:  So now you're an instigator? Really great impartial mod technique.

No, just making a blanket assertion based on your previous behaviors. Carry on.

No you're trying to instigate.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 02:12 PM
No one has ever said the mods need to be impartial here that I'm aware of. Just that any mod actions taken in their capacity as mods should be fair or we'll chirp them. When Moms ain't posting in pink, she's just another member of the forum.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-01-2014, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 04:25 PM by Phil Hill.)
(31-01-2014 02:12 PM)morondog Wrote:  No one has ever said the mods need to be impartial here that I'm aware of. Just that any mod actions taken in their capacity as mods should be fair or we'll chirp them. When Moms ain't posting in pink, she's just another member of the forum.

Yet she was instigating. Her post had nothing in it except to tell another member I was going to call him stupid. She got the desired result though, he stopped posing and ignored me. Kinda makes it difficult to respect her as a mod.

EDIT: not only is all of the above the problem but the are quite a few posters here that are kinda suffering from a wolfpack mentality. They see a mod instigating shit so they assume it's ok for them to do. Was a really bad choice on her part.

Using Tapatalk
31-01-2014, 04:13 PM
(28-01-2014 05:42 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  We've all heard this one before right? You point out all the people that have been murdered in the name of God, and they turn around and say "Well, Stalin (or any other name) was an atheist, so that proves you atheists are evil!"

The problem with that defense is that Stalin didn't kill people in the name of atheism, so whether or not he was atheist is as relevant as whether or not he liked pizza.

"Hitler was an atheist? Well, he loved his dogs too, does that make all dog-lovers evil?"

.... I can't think of one like that for Stalin... He didn't come up much in my history classes...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
31-01-2014, 06:06 PM
(31-01-2014 04:13 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  .... I can't think of one like that for Stalin... He didn't come up much in my history classes...

Stalin loved booze and the cinema.

CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post