"Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 12:11 PM
"Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking
As we all know, Christians love to find ways to cherry pick the parts they like in the Bible, while turning a blind eye to all the evil, immoral rules in there, such as:

1. If a child is disobedient to their parents, the parents are to take the child to the city gates, and the child should be stoned to death.

2. If a man is caught raping a woman, the penalty is that he is to pay the woman's father 50 pieces of silver, and then take the woman as his wife, never being able to divorce her.

3. If a woman is not a virgin on the night of her wedding she is to be stoned to death.

4. The condoning of slavery.

5. The right of fathers to sell their daughters into sexual slavery.

Here are some of the excuses I come across most often by Christians to try to justify why they should be allowed to cherry pick:

"Well, that was the Old Testament..."

Hmm...so you're saying that the entire first half of your book, which is where your god, man, the ten commandments, and major characters like Moses, Abraham, Paul, and a whole bunch of others that are looked on as major heroes is basically expendable?

"The Bible has been translated so many times, so there are many mistakes that could have been made by humans due to mistranslations."

This is just ridiculous. This means you are literally saying that your book has no credibility because we have no idea what is true or false.

"That was the way things were thousands of years ago. We can't judge them by today's standards."

So, let me get this straight: You're saying that your infallible god that sees and knows all, created a bunch of rules and committed actions which we consider to be horribly immoral, yet he was not capable of knowing that those behaviors would be considered immoral by modern day standards? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

What are some of your favorites that you have heard?

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
21-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Not exactly the same, but related, I heard this excuse recently from someone who hasn't yet read the Bible:

"I haven't read it yet because I need to ask my priest the proper way to read it to make sure I understand it correctly." Facepalm

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 3 users Like Impulse's post
21-04-2014, 12:23 PM
RE: "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking
"Leviticus and Deuteronomy were Man's law at the time, not GOD's law."

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
21-04-2014, 04:01 PM
RE: "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking
When discussing the new testament, which was originally written in greek, one of their favourites is to say
"well in the original Greek.... this really means…."

Another one is
"well that's an interpolation because X wouldn't have written or said it" (and then they go on to claim the bits they like are the word of God)

Another one is
"this passage has to be read in the context of what the author said elsewhere"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2014, 04:39 PM
From my research on religion, there is a system for bible interpretation called "Dispensationalism", where God interacted with humans differently at different times in history. In summary, there are different ages that certain parts of the bible are applicable. If I remember correctly, we are in the "church age" where the only part of the bible that is applicable to us are the books of the new testament from Acts to Revelation. I may have that wrong and Revelation may not be applicable to us yet either because we're not in the age of the apocalypse yet. Different people interpret dispensationalism differently, so you may see differences.

I think this type of bible interpretation is goofy. It's also a cop out because if you are a fundie or evangelical then you can write off some pretty heinous stuff by stating "Well, we're not in that age anymore so that's no longer applicable"...
21-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Where to start???

How about this great piece of pro life, world, enviroment advice:

1st John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

Or this xenophobia?:

2nd Chronicles19:2 And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.

And this gem:

James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God

Don't forget to pass judgement. Forget that bit about the stoning. Wink

Leviticus 19:15 Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour

What, judgement in the NT too???

J ohn 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Actually, thousands of texts have been banned from the bible. The ones that were banned had dragons, and angels, and a lot more freaky stuff than the new and old testament combined.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Sorry to have posted NT crap. It is just that the NT is full of similar BS to the OT.

Sorry to double post. Could not edit the above due to posting from a phone.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 04:51 PM
My all time favorite of all time:

Quote:Waal-arda madadnahawaalqayna feeha rawasiya waanbatnafeeha min kulli shay-in mawzoonin

And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.

Yeahhhhh.

The quoran says the earth is flat and that the sun turns arround it....

Here is a 16th century depiction of the world by an islamic scolar, shown as a flat disk:

[Image: Flat_Earth_The_Wonders_of_Creation.jpg]

100 fucking years after America was discovered and everyone besides the islamic worl had accepted a round world.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
21-04-2014, 04:52 PM
(21-04-2014 04:47 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Actually, thousands of texts have been banned from the bible. The ones that were banned had dragons, and angels, and a lot more freaky stuff than the new and old testament combined.

You mean like the following?

Deuteronomy 32:33   Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.

Banjo.