"Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2014, 04:55 PM
RE: "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking
(21-04-2014 04:52 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(21-04-2014 04:47 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Actually, thousands of texts have been banned from the bible. The ones that were banned had dragons, and angels, and a lot more freaky stuff than the new and old testament combined.

You mean like the following?

Deuteronomy 32:33   Their wine is the poison of dragons, and the cruel venom of asps.
Yeah, but like, the amount of text banned from it, could have created another testament.
(Also, there was a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOT more gruesome things.)

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: "Well, That Was The Old Testament..." And Other Favorite Excuses For Cherry Picking
You ask for dragons, I give you dragons.

What a week I'm having! Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
21-04-2014, 04:59 PM
(21-04-2014 04:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  You ask for dragons, I give you dragons.

What a week I'm having! Smile

If this were game of thrones, we would get something other than dragons... Unsure

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
21-04-2014, 05:48 PM
This was in regards to ignoring the stupid, random rules and not the stupid, violent ones, but I got something along the lines of "Nowadays it's impossible to avoid that". Along with the example that, if we listened to the part about not touching pigskin, we couldn't play football.
21-04-2014, 05:59 PM
(21-04-2014 04:51 PM)The Germans are coming Wrote:  Here is a 16th century depiction of the world by an islamic scolar, shown as a flat disk:

[Image: Flat_Earth_The_Wonders_of_Creation.jpg]

100 fucking years after America was discovered and everyone besides the islamic worl had accepted a round world.

Bullshit. Islamic scholars could read Eratosthenes's proof just as well as Christian scholars could.

(also Columbus and America had nothing whatsoever to do with the shape of the Earth - so there's that)

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
21-04-2014, 06:03 PM
(21-04-2014 05:48 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  This was in regards to ignoring the stupid, random rules and not the stupid, violent ones, but I got something along the lines of "Nowadays it's impossible to avoid that". Along with the example that, if we listened to the part about not touching pigskin, we couldn't play football.

Yeah but dude, you got dragons. Dragons!!!

This is like way up there with Harry Potter.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
22-04-2014, 01:04 AM
"Well, you've got the words right, but you're INTERPRETING them wrong. Here's the correct way to interpret them."

"Well that sounds bad, but you're just trying to confuse me. That makes you Satan."
22-04-2014, 05:58 AM
(21-04-2014 04:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Another one is
"this passage has to be read in the context of what the author said elsewhere"

As a general rule, when I quote something, I read the surrounding verses, if not the whole chapter, just to make sure I'm not taking things out of context.

That being said, it blows me away when people will pick two passages from completely different books and insist that you have to read each in context with the other. Bonus points if they do so to maintain an otherwise controversial view.