Well hi there!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Well hi there!
First off - I'm Swedish, so sorry for any misspellings or any such errors.

Second - the place I live I guess is quite privileged. We've gotten rid of much of religion around here. We were pretty quick to oppose the pope. Already four years after Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 oppositions to the church door, protestantism was the state confession of Sweden. And then, some decades ago, the church was separated from the state. So we have no official religion. I guess we're at about the same place where the Americans were at the foundation of their great nation. Only, religion has a much worse starting position here.

Anyway. I used to be a born again christian in an episcopal denomination. This was nothing I was born into. My parents were not christians except for ceremonials like weddings or funerals. It was the music that brought me to the faithism. I was playing the guitar, and this friend of mine brought me into the episcopal community, which was brewing with musical talent at that time (late 70's). I started in a band there, and it eventuallt brought me to a musical carreer as a session guitarist. Not complaining about that. And I was truly born again, with new baptism and everything. And I still retain lots of friends from these and subsequent years. Religious friends.

Since around '90, I haven't really had any strong religious feelings one way or the other. I've had the feeling, and still do, that as long as it doesn't bother anyone, your free to believe what you want.

This has changed a bit in recent years though. And I think Christopher Hitchens is the main reason for that. I watched a couple of debates and was pretty much in shock that his points were even up for debate. Seemed so self evident.

So, that's where I am. Like the rest of you I guess I've found Seth's podcasts to be a pretty good inspiration. I sure enjoy them a lot!

One thing I'm wondering about when the debate is taken to someone who accepts science and (at least parts of) evolution. The chistians usually claim that the redemption of the Christ extends backwards in time, to include those born before his coming. I would have asked to what specific generation does that apply? I mean would it include all of the primates? The mammalia? The Chordata? At which specific generation does God flick that switch between parent and offspring?

Have a great day!
Jana
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Well hi there!
Welcome! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Welcome, nice to meet you.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
17-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Welcome aboard.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
17-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Hello Shy
You know.... that question at the bottom of your post looks like the kind I crumpled up like a used-up piece of paper, and threw in the waste basket, once I had become an atheist. Angel
It freed me to ponder far more important questions like, " Consider what kind of exorcise routines are most effective in making my girlfriends buttocks larger?" Tongue
lol. Welcome Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
18-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume