Well, my brother found out..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 05:16 PM
RE: Well, my brother found out..
Hi there!
Hell is a silly fairy tale, when you die your brain dissolves and that's that Tongue Have fun here!

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
03-04-2015, 06:23 PM
(03-04-2015 04:23 PM)Dex Wrote:  Okay, it's been a couple weeks. I've listened to everyone's advice and my own reservations and decided not to make any kind of announcement. My brother and I have only had one more conversation on the topic. It started after he came home from church where a visiting evangelist had said some stupid shit about homosexuality. (He actually said a ton of stupid stuff about America in general. I'm thinking about making a post about it with highlights; I streamed the service from home and took notes.) I gave into an urge to make a comment about homosexuality not being a choice and for some reason this shocked him. We argued about that for a while and somehow got back onto the topic of my atheism. Unfortunately, the conversation ended with him probably thinking he won since I agreed I'd continue to look into things. I should have made the same request of him but I was frustrated at this point and his wife was pulling into the garage and I just wanted to be alone.

Some points he made during the conversation:

-He knows homosexuality is a choice because this gay guy he worked with said it absolutely is a choice and told a lesbian they worked with to stop lying and admit it's a choice.
-One proof of the Bible is the fact that Israel came back together to reform a nation as prophesied. He also said the fact that Israel is the subject of so much unrest in the middle east and the world is evidence of fulfilled prophecy.
-Several times I brought up evidence or studies or evolution specifically to make a point, and he seemed to think that the fact that I learned about them on the internet means he can dismiss them without looking into it.
-Before I "make a decision" about what I believe, I should talk to our pastor in person, because he will be able to convince me that the Bible is true and God is real apparently.

Apart from that conversation things have been pretty normal between us, which I'm really glad for. I don't know whether he's told his wife or anyone else.

Ask him when he chose to be heterosexual. When exactly? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Your brother sounds like a first-class fuckhead.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-04-2015, 07:55 PM
(16-03-2015 11:31 PM)Dex Wrote:  He ended by saying that he wished he could do something to change my mind, but that he couldn't and we could not talk about it anymore.

Facepalm

This is actually good. Don’t let him bring it up again, stop him in his tracks if he ever does and remind him that he brought it up the first time and then unilaterally decided it was now verboten. You don’t need this shit. I am one of four brothers and we routinely tell each other to fuck off and we still get along...well...except with the one incredible dickhead. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-04-2015, 11:09 PM
(03-04-2015 06:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  Ask him when he chose to be heterosexual. When exactly? Consider

Yeah I tried that. I also brought up a Christian blogger that is gay but believes that gay sex is a sin and chose to be celibate, and asked how that would work if being gay was a choice. I don't remember his exact response but it didn't seem to budge him from his opinion.

(03-04-2015 07:47 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Your brother sounds like a first-class fuckhead.

I don't blame him. Generations of fundamentalism, a pastor for a father, and minimal use of the internet/outside interaction can do a lot to stifle potential.

(03-04-2015 07:55 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Facepalm

This is actually good. Don’t let him bring it up again, stop him in his tracks if he ever does and remind him that he brought it up the first time and then unilaterally decided it was now verboten. You don’t need this shit. I am one of four brothers and we routinely tell each other to fuck off and we still get along...well...except with the one incredible dickhead. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad. Yes

Yeah that's a good idea.

Man, I can't imagine the reaction if I told any of my five brothers to fuck off. Partly because of their aversion to the word fuck and partly because of how passive we are.
04-04-2015, 01:27 AM
(16-03-2015 11:31 PM)Dex Wrote:  I had been wrestling with whether to send out an email to all my family explaining everything, but I guess it was a matter of time till someone confronted me, given how much time I spend with them.

I don't suggest telling them, however, if you feel like you need to, then a family mail is the last thing I suggest. Tell them one by one, in person. This way you'll avoid team-ups, and your presence in person with someone makes it mandatory for them to show respect. Trust me, I've been in a similar position.