Well that was rude!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-12-2015, 10:23 PM
Well that was rude!
Family Christmas dinner. My uncle says the blessing, then we line up to eat. My uncle says to another family member "to all our Christian friends, Merry Christmas. To our Jewish friends, Happy Hannakua. To our atheist friends, good luck" He said it in a low voice, so I know he was purposely trying to be sure I didn't hear. They both laughed. I'm one who enjoys all kinds of humor. I can certainly laugh at myself. I can enjoy a good atheist joke. If he'd said it to me in a joking manner, I wouldn't have cared. It's an old joke, and very very mildly amusing. The fact that he said it covertly hurt my feelings.

I had thought everyone still respected me the same as before I stopped being a Christian. I know it's a tiny thing compared to what some people experience, but I wasn't prepared for it, and didn't appreciate it. I would not have even considered whispering some snide remark about the blessing to another atheist at the family meal because it's rude. It was a dick move on his part, and I have lost some respect for him.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
25-12-2015, 10:28 PM
RE: Well that was rude!
It was rude. But at the end of the day, you are free to live your life as you choose. They are in the chains of religion and need to live their lives according to a magical sky leprechaun...or else. I'd focus on that instead Smile
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-12-2015, 02:10 AM
It sounds like you're handling a shitty situation remarkably well. Your read on the situation seems fair, and your feelings justified. Your uncle losing some of your respect is a measured response to the disrespect he showed you.

Well done so far (IMO). I'd say the next step is do exactly as Jenny suggested...move forward in a positive and constructive direction.

I doubt I'd have dealt with it nearly as well as you.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post
26-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Well that was rude!
I would've been tempted to say, Happy birthday, Mithra, and I guess to that Jewish kid, too.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
26-12-2015, 11:18 AM
I probably would've said, "and to all my Xtian friends, so sorry." Even if it was only in my head. That was an asshat move but then I loath passive-aggressive BS.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
26-12-2015, 12:03 PM
The best description for what was said is that it was rude.

Chalk it up to his being a person with no manners or class.

Nice that Christians like him show just how Christian they are on one of their holiest days. Dodgy

You proved you have more class and are a decent person with social graces.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post