Well this is gonna be interesting.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Well this is gonna be interesting.
So now that it's been some time since I was accidentally outed to my immediate family, I've had some time to take a step back and figure out what to do next. Things are going okay - mostly - but the time is going to come fairly soon that the rest of the people I know(grandparents/etc) are going to be told about my nonbelief. And I'm honestly not sure how messy of a process it's gonna be. The religious views of my family vary from Catholic to evangelical-ish baptist, so it's definitely gonna be an, erm, interesting reveal.

But since there's nothing I can do about it now, does anyone have any advice for how to navigate these tricky waters and make the whole situation go as smoothly as possible?

all hail the mighty glow cloud
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2016, 10:39 AM
RE: Well this is gonna be interesting.
Keep us updated.

You can always do what I have and that is I have let everyone in my family who knows that I’m atheist that the topic is closed for discussion. I warned them that if they bring the subject up I will politely excuse myself and hang up the phone or leave the room, house, table or wherever we happen to be.

Do this a few times and they start to get the message.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
11-11-2016, 10:50 AM
It depends so much on their personalities and your relationships with them, that I find it hard to recommend anything specific.

All I can say is to take it slow, stay cool, and let everyone see that you are still the same loveable person you have always been.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
11-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Love is the answer. Keep smiling, loving the family you do love. Don't let any negativity creep in and don't take the bait when people don't return your kindness. Baiters gonna bait, just need to avoid that when it comes up in as graceful a manner as possible.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
25-11-2016, 07:50 AM
its your family, chances are, theyll love you either way
25-11-2016, 07:55 AM
(11-11-2016 10:34 AM)Unfallen_Skeptic Wrote:  So now that it's been some time since I was accidentally outed to my immediate family, I've had some time to take a step back and figure out what to do next. Things are going okay - mostly - but the time is going to come fairly soon that the rest of the people I know(grandparents/etc) are going to be told about my nonbelief. And I'm honestly not sure how messy of a process it's gonna be. The religious views of my family vary from Catholic to evangelical-ish baptist, so it's definitely gonna be an, erm, interesting reveal.

But since there's nothing I can do about it now, does anyone have any advice for how to navigate these tricky waters and make the whole situation go as smoothly as possible?
Have them write down what they don't like about you NOW. Discuss that point (or points) with them. Then ask them if that makes them love you any less. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user