Well this is some BS. Thanks for nothing Italy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Well this is some BS. Thanks for nothing Italy
So, some Italian seismologists and a government official have been convicted of manslaughter for failing to predict some earthquakes. I guess the only upshot of this is that the US isn't the only country with a poor understanding of science. The long and short of it is that other seismologists have condemned this because of how insanely difficult it still is to predict earthquakes

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 09:29 PM
RE: Well this is some BS. Thanks for nothing Italy
This is simply shameful :O

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
23-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Who would want to work that job if being inaccurate or unable to predict a quake means being sentenced for murder? You want to incentivize scientists to develop new technologies and theories and come to your country, not scare them away.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
23-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Umm I have so much confuse that I accidently the whole thing.

Oh my, how can people be that daft?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
23-10-2012, 11:33 AM
This is the place that houses the Vatican remember, these people aren't exactly smart as a nation. I heard about a place in Italy that effectively banned gays from driving. According to the law you couldn't drive if you were mentally ill and they classified homosexuality as a mental illness.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Wow, I hope their appeal falls on a wiser judge. And by "wiser" I mean anyone who doesn't have his head up his own ass.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 3 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-10-2012, 12:36 PM
And to think that Italy was the crib of modern law... so sad Sad

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
23-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Good. That should be proper legal grounds:
If scientists are not safe in Italy or any other country, grant them asylum in the US. Seems pretty clear cut to me. This place is going to shit and we need all the scientists we can get. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
23-10-2012, 01:50 PM
(23-10-2012 12:36 PM)nach_in Wrote:  And to think that Italy was the crib of modern law... so sad Sad

Evidently it's still just the crib, while (hopefully) modern law has grown up a little and outgrown Italy's crib (I like to think that modern law is sleeping in a racecar bed with Spiderman sheets and blankets).

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
23-10-2012, 11:48 PM
(23-10-2012 11:33 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  This is the place that houses the Vatican remember, these people aren't exactly smart as a nation. I heard about a place in Italy that effectively banned gays from driving. According to the law you couldn't drive if you were mentally ill and they classified homosexuality as a mental illness.

Well it is kind of...