Well this is some BS. Thanks for nothing Italy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 12:54 AM
RE: Well this is some BS. Thanks for nothing Italy
(22-10-2012 08:32 PM)Near Wrote:  So, some Italian seismologists and a government official have been convicted of manslaughter for failing to predict some earthquakes. I guess the only upshot of this is that the US isn't the only country with a poor understanding of science. The long and short of it is that other seismologists have condemned this because of how insanely difficult it still is to predict earthquakes

I don't know all the facts. I think they may have been on government payrolls (?) and it had been rumbling with minor quakes for a month before the big one. They could have made an effort to educate the public, on probability of a large one. Don't know if they did.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2012, 12:15 AM
(24-10-2012 12:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 08:32 PM)Near Wrote:  So, some Italian seismologists and a government official have been convicted of manslaughter for failing to predict some earthquakes. I guess the only upshot of this is that the US isn't the only country with a poor understanding of science. The long and short of it is that other seismologists have condemned this because of how insanely difficult it still is to predict earthquakes

I don't know all the facts. I think they may have been on government payrolls (?) and it had been rumbling with minor quakes for a month before the big one. They could have made an effort to educate the public, on probability of a large one. Don't know if they did.

Do you realize just how blissfully ignorant the general public is? All they want is what star is getting fucked by who and what drugs they are on. Or they want the newest IPhone. You could demonstrate that a meteor big enough to end our way of life (at least for a good long time) and still all they can care about is what celeb is doing what. The scientists may have warned people, but were ignored. Or maybe evacuating may have harmed someone's chance of re-election if nothing happened, so they made the choice not to tell people.
26-10-2012, 06:49 AM
I have been perpetually pissed ever since I heard this trial was even occurring. The ignorance and arrogance of some people is astounding. We are constantly searching for someone to blame when bad things happen, and if they can't blame god, they will blame we humble geologists.

Evolve
26-10-2012, 07:51 AM
(26-10-2012 06:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have been perpetually pissed ever since I heard this trial was even occurring. The ignorance and arrogance of some people is astounding. We are constantly searching for someone to blame when bad things happen, and if they can't blame god, they will blame we humble geologists.

I heard an interview yesterday on NPR with Sylvia Poggioli, and she did the background. All the comments above are correct in their own way. The politicians are looking for scape-goats, as there is a good deal of anger. The public was well aware of the possibilities, as many were even sleeping outside, in the weeks prior, to the large quake. It was the POLITICIANS who should have heeded the warnings that WERE given, and did more to educate, and prepare. Apparently there has been very little rebuilding, and a great deal of public anger about THAT, and that's what they're trying to deflect. The government is/was incompetent, not the scientists. Sylvia thought there were be no, or very short sentences. It was a show-trial, in her estimation.
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/25/163641000/...conviction

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-10-2012, 12:08 PM
(26-10-2012 07:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 06:49 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have been perpetually pissed ever since I heard this trial was even occurring. The ignorance and arrogance of some people is astounding. We are constantly searching for someone to blame when bad things happen, and if they can't blame god, they will blame we humble geologists.

I heard an interview yesterday on NPR with Sylvia Poggioli, and she did the background. All the comments above are correct in their own way. The politicians are looking for scape-goats, as there is a good deal of anger. The public was well aware of the possibilities, as many were even sleeping outside, in the weeks prior, to the large quake. It was the POLITICIANS who should have heeded the warnings that WERE given, and did more to educate, and prepare. Apparently there has been very little rebuilding, and a great deal of public anger about THAT, and that's what they're trying to deflect. The government is/was incompetent, not the scientists. Sylvia thought there were be no, or very short sentences. It was a show-trial, in her estimation.

I knew it. Politicians are the same everywhere.
26-10-2012, 12:15 PM
(26-10-2012 12:08 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 07:51 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I heard an interview yesterday on NPR with Sylvia Poggioli, and she did the background. All the comments above are correct in their own way. The politicians are looking for scape-goats, as there is a good deal of anger. The public was well aware of the possibilities, as many were even sleeping outside, in the weeks prior, to the large quake. It was the POLITICIANS who should have heeded the warnings that WERE given, and did more to educate, and prepare. Apparently there has been very little rebuilding, and a great deal of public anger about THAT, and that's what they're trying to deflect. The government is/was incompetent, not the scientists. Sylvia thought there were be no, or very short sentences. It was a show-trial, in her estimation.

I knew it. Politicians are the same everywhere.

In general, seems so. There are some exceptions. My cousins up in Minnesota have this amazing Senator, I've been reading about. Amy Klobuchar. That dame seems like one hell of a smart cookie.

26-10-2012, 01:39 PM
(26-10-2012 12:15 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-10-2012 12:08 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I knew it. Politicians are the same everywhere.

In general, seems so. There are some exceptions. My cousins up in Minnesota have this amazing Senator, I've been reading about. Amy Klobuchar. That dame seems like one hell of a smart cookie.

I guess we won't see her as a president then.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post
31-10-2012, 10:46 PM
(24-10-2012 12:54 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

The evidence that they had to go on was that whenever there were swarms of smaller earthquakes in the area, there were no large ones following.

Hearing this issue discussed on "The Pseudoscientists" podcast, It seems like the whole thing is more of an issue of poor ability to communicate science to the public.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
They've still got hot women, though. I've wanted to go to Italy for a month and fuck all the women I can since seeing "The American". lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user