Well wishes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Well wishes
An acquaintance of mine just posted that her grandson is being admitted to the hospital (not clear why). Of the 43 comments so far 19 specifically leave out the word "prayer" or "praying" and istead use "wishing" or "hoping" or "thinking". I am surprised that it is nearly half.

Has anyone else have made a similar observation recently?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 07:16 PM
RE: Well wishes
(30-01-2014 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  An acquaintance of mine just posted that her grandson is being admitted to the hospital (not clear why). Of the 43 comments so far 19 specifically leave out the word "prayer" or "praying" and istead use "wishing" or "hoping" or "thinking". I am surprised that it is nearly half.

No...my Facebook is full of praying types.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

30-01-2014, 07:31 PM
It depends on who makes the post. I typically see a mix of both, but it's largely based on the person who made the post. If my conservative, Baptist friend makes a post, almost everyone says "pray". If my atheist coworker makes the post, there are a lot fewer "prayers".
30-01-2014, 09:22 PM
(30-01-2014 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  An acquaintance of mine just posted that her grandson is being admitted to the hospital (not clear why). Of the 43 comments so far 19 specifically leave out the word "prayer" or "praying" and istead use "wishing" or "hoping" or "thinking". I am surprised that it is nearly half.

I've found that it may be due to the relationship between the askers and the responders. If they have a very close relationship, they pray. If it's a secondhand or distant relationship, they wish or cross fingers - polite but not excessively strenuous for the responder.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
30-01-2014, 09:27 PM
(30-01-2014 09:22 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  

I've found that it may be due to the relationship between the askers and the responders. If they have a very close relationship, they pray. If it's a secondhand or distant relationship, they wish or cross fingers - polite but not excessively strenuous for the responder.

Yep, I agree with the rest of the comments...just depends on the relationship. BUT I've found that since I'm so outspoken about my hatred of religion, people deliberately "pray" for me, no matter what I say! I had surgery about a month ago and had lots of "prayers"....even from my smart ass atheist friends Tongue

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
30-01-2014, 09:58 PM
The mother of a friend of mine from work passed away recently. We tend to take care of each other in times of trouble and sorrow, and I took up a collection and picked up a non-religious sympathy card. I didn't "keep score" on the responses, but IIRC the mix seemed to be about the same. I really think that a lot of people say "prayers for you", etc., because they really don't know what to say and they fall back on stock platitudes they have seen or heard from others.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-01-2014, 10:01 PM
I not only experience the same but I also have a fair amount of people that solicit prayers.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
30-01-2014, 11:54 PM

...only kind of related, but to me "We're praying for you" always sounds like "we sort of care, but not enough to actually do anything to help".

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
31-01-2014, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2014 10:10 AM by Full Circle.)
(30-01-2014 11:54 PM)toadaly Wrote:  

...only kind of related, but to me "We're praying for you" always sounds like "we sort of care, but not enough to actually do anything to help".

I can see that happening. I also know that it is a knee-jerk reaction for most people, it just sounds like you are actually doing something to help...but not. Removes the guilt of not actually doing anything.

I think I would just rather have someone say to me "You are in my thoughts and if I can do anything for you or your family please just ask".

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
31-01-2014, 12:25 AM
(30-01-2014 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
specifically leave out

How do you know it was not 'accidentally'?