Well wishes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2014, 12:31 AM
RE: Well wishes
(30-01-2014 11:54 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  An acquaintance of mine just posted that her grandson is being admitted to the hospital (not clear why). Of the 43 comments so far 19 specifically leave out the word "prayer" or "praying" and istead use "wishing" or "hoping" or "thinking". I am surprised that it is nearly half.

Has anyone else have made a similar observation recently?

...only kind of related, but to me "We're praying for you" always sounds like "we sort of care, but not enough to actually do anything to help".

The thing is, that I (IMO) think that what everyone (theist or atheist, etc) wants to express is that we care deeply, and we want to help in any way we can. I think that empathy is natural to humans and any species of social animals.

I speculate that there are a hell of a lot of people out there who deliver a bunch of religious platitudes like "god loves you" and "We are praying for you" when what they are really trying to convey is that they care deeply and wish like hell that they could do something about it.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
31-01-2014, 01:44 AM
(31-01-2014 12:31 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 11:54 PM)toadaly Wrote:  ...only kind of related, but to me "We're praying for you" always sounds like "we sort of care, but not enough to actually do anything to help".

The thing is, that I (IMO) think that what everyone (theist or atheist, etc) wants to express is that we care deeply, and we want to help in any way we can. I think that empathy is natural to humans and any species of social animals.

I speculate that there are a hell of a lot of people out there who deliver a bunch of religious platitudes like "god loves you" and "We are praying for you" when what they are really trying to convey is that they care deeply and wish like hell that they could do something about it.

Man. Don't make too many posts like that; someone might get the idea that you're a real person. Tongue

As for me, that kinda shit is nails-on-a-blackboard. Someone mentions prayer (just happened concerning a sick pet on my fb) and I automatically assume that the only thing they care about is themselves. Like they have some kind of special potency whereas only through their intervention does a natural recovery occur.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-01-2014, 10:24 AM
(31-01-2014 12:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 07:04 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
specifically leave out

How do you know it was not 'accidentally'?

@ DLJ - OK, I'm assuming...BUT I have yet to meet a religious person who doesn't traipse out the words "God" or "prayer" at the drop of a hat. As I read the responses many of the "secular" well wishes were crafted in such a way as to leave out the supernatural woo.

But in the end your question is valid, unless I were to ask them I really don't know.

@Taquiyya - I suppose that the "go-to" platitudes invoke a deity, especially if you were brought up in a religious household like I was. I have to consciously craft my responses without such pleadings. I still think that I can get my feelings across without the use of gods and prayers. Like anything else it takes practice and reconditioning.

Example: "I heard your grandson was ill and it breaks my heart. I want you and your loved ones to know that my thoughts are with you. If I can help in any way please let me know, I'll be on a plane tomorrow if you need me."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-01-2014, 10:30 AM

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
31-01-2014, 10:32 AM
How strange, my previous post doesn't show up. What's up with that?