Well... you guys are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2017, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 10:04 AM by Rockblossom.)
RE: Well... you guys are ...
(05-05-2017 08:53 AM)mordant Wrote:  Well, if this is about the so-called "ObamaCare repeal / replace", it still has to pass the Senate and that is, at present, still unlikely. And even if it passes, it will come with a steep price for Republicans, and possibly a long-lasting one. It will just further energize an already enraged liberal base, which has already broken all records for candidates applying to run against Republicans in the mid-term elections. And it will expand the trickle of Trump voter defections to a steady stream, if not a deluge -- particularly after it becomes obvious to working people that they are without affordable insurance with any minimum standard of coverage. Paybacks, as they say, are hell.

Also, some elements of our media are finally showing themselves to be capable of outrage:

http://gizmodo.com/ghouls-celebrate-bloo...1794930832

And even the more staid response of Time magazine is ominous for Republicans. I can't link to it because it's from a private email list, but the subject line says it all: "A Premature Rose Garden Ceremony".

This?
http://time.com/4767856/health-care-vote...mcconnell/

Cases of beer were wheeled into the Capitol, cheers rang out in the House chamber and President Trump tweeted an invitation to a celebratory press conference in the White House Rose Garden. But whatever joy or relief House Republicans felt after capping a seven-year struggle to gut Obamacare, the victory laps were premature. The party-line vote, which squeaked through the House by a 217-213 tally, merely sends the charged issue to the Senate, where the entire process will start from scratch—if it gets off the ground at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2017, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 10:03 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Well... you guys are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
This too, shall pass.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/t...672cf47cc7

"Quarantine" him. Laugh out load .. Sadcryface2

The Senate hasn't passed anything yet.
The courts have consistently ruled that healthcare is a right.
Hospitals get sued, if they turn anyone away.
We're just too stupid to figure out a way to share the wealth, and reimburse those who provide the care, in a practical way. Meh. It's a process.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-05-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: Well... you guys are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
Sorbo thought America would be great again Sad

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 2 users Like cactus's post
05-05-2017, 09:28 AM
RE: Well... you guys are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked
Shame there isn't anywhere else to go, for when the run away greenhouse effect renders Earth uninhabitable! Undecided

05-05-2017, 09:39 AM
(05-05-2017 09:20 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  This too, shall pass.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/t...672cf47cc7

"Quarantine" him. Laugh out load .. Sadcryface2

The Senate hasn't passed anything yet.
The courts have consistently ruled that healthcare is a right.
Hospitals get sued, if they turn anyone away.
We're just too stupid to figure out how a way to share the wealth, and reimburse those who provide the care, in a practical way. Meh. It's a process.

It is funny when you realize he's basically the equivalent of the Falcons celebrating because they were ahead of the Patriots at halftime.
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
05-05-2017, 09:49 AM
(05-05-2017 09:20 AM)cactus Wrote:  Sorbo thought America would be great again Sad

Sorbo is a fundy.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2017, 10:09 AM
(05-05-2017 09:14 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  This?
http://time.com/4767856/health-care-vote...mcconnell/

Cases of beer were wheeled into the Capitol, cheers rang out in the House chamber and President Trump tweeted an invitation to a celebratory press conference in the White House Rose Garden. But whatever joy or relief House Republicans felt after capping a seven-year struggle to gut Obamacare, the victory laps were premature. The party-line vote, which squeaked through the House by a 217-213 tally, merely sends the charged issue to the Senate, where the entire process will start from scratch—if it gets off the ground at all.
No (it was an email newsletter I subscribe to) but it will do.
05-05-2017, 10:26 AM
(05-05-2017 09:28 AM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Shame there isn't anywhere else to go, for when the run away greenhouse effect renders Earth uninhabitable! Undecided
If I were in my twenties and unattached / uncommitted -- or possibly even if I were just unattached / uncommitted -- I'd give serious thought to quitting this flaming wreckage that was once my country.

The problem, aside from global warming, is that the rest of the world isn't in that great a shape anymore either.

Where would I go?

Well Norway has always had a special appeal to me, with its kind, respectful approach even to its worst criminals -- it has the best penal system in the world, and if prisoners are treated well, one can reasonably expect to be treated well as a citizen. Taxes are high but you get a lot in exchange.

But even in Norway, the immigrant issue has stirred the worst angels of even that country's nature. And throughout Scandinavia this is also true to varying degrees -- as is the threat of Soviet adventurism, which has Sweden, for example, nervously beefing up its military and reinstating its draft.

New Zealand and Australia have the appeal of being as far off the beaten bath as possible while still having a decent / familiar standard of living, plus the bonus, for an American, of being English-speaking. But they have their share of crazy people and crazy laws (I noted recently that New Zealand passed a law making it illegal for a teenager to view the TV series 13 Reasons Why unless under adult supervision, a typical authoritarian ploy that is unenforceable for multiple reasons anyway). Not to mention their own significant environmental issues, as witness the spasms of flooding and wildfires in Australia for example.

So even though most countries even with immigrant restrictions will happily take a software developer, I am not sure moving would be a lateral move, much less an improvement of my lot. Partly because 'Murica is not THAT bad YET for someone sufficiently pre-privileged, partly because other countries are largely headed down their own shitters, partly because of global warming, and partly because as 'Murica goes, so goes the world, to a significant extent.

Backing off to a meta level, politically, it appears to me that liberalism has overreached, often for the wrong (elitist) reasons rather than out of genuine humanitarian impulses, and that is coming home to roost, pushing many countries into holding actions or outright retreat on egalitarian initiatives, and making the working class vulnerable to BOTH types of populism, but mostly, it would seem, the malignant, misanthropic, authoritarian elitist kind of faux populism that obtains in 'Murica. I think the world is probably headed for yet another mini dark age, similar to what obtained during both World Wars, and there will be a spasm of widespread instability over the next decade or so. Whether it sorts itself out positively before my time on earth is at an end, is debatable.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
05-05-2017, 10:41 AM
(05-05-2017 10:26 AM)mordant Wrote:  If I were in my twenties and unattached / uncommitted -- or possibly even if I were just unattached / uncommitted -- I'd give serious thought to quitting this flaming wreckage that was once my country.

The most positive thing about being a historian is that you know we've done this before. The Great Depression brought us Franklin Delano Roosevelt. The Great Trump Fiasco might produce another one. But we've been in worse shape than this before, like when the Presidential Residence was burned by the British. (We painted the new one white.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-05-2017, 05:30 PM
Quote:New Zealand and Australia have the appeal of being as far off the beaten bath as possible while still having a decent / familiar standard of living, plus the bonus, for an American, of being English-speaking. But they have their share of crazy people and crazy laws (I noted recently that New Zealand passed a law making it illegal for a teenager to view the TV series 13 Reasons Why unless under adult supervision, a typical authoritarian ploy that is unenforceable for multiple reasons anyway). Not to mention their own significant environmental issues, as witness the spasms of flooding and wildfires in Australia for example.

Son, we did not pass a law requiring teenagers to be supervised when watching that show... we just rated it R18.. it's literally no different to anything else being rated R18, movies, games, tv shows etc.. America does the same thing, most western countries do. At leats when it comes to ratings we're one of the most lenient countries. We also allow a lot of stuff that's banned in other countries, especially in Australia. A perfect example was that South Park episode that was making fun of the Virgin Marry, it was banned in Australia but allowed here. I think it was banned in the US too?
Anyway, point is, don't be stupid of course we didn't pass a law against teenagers watching it. We just gave it a rating like literally every single movie/tv show or video game like how most western countries do...
Also, America has far worse environmental disasters than either of us. You guys have hurricanes, tornados, forest fires of your own, flooding of your own. Fuck, you have snow, we don't. (well.. depends how far south you are). And when you say "yea but not where I live" ding ding ding ding ding, it works like that here too. Just live in the North Island and you wont experience any of that. Except Wellington, you'll get the odd small earthquake, but nothing to be fearful of.

I mean we also have free healthcare and pay the same amount of taxes (but we don't have to pay for healthcare like you guys do), our minimum wage is higher, we have better employment laws protecting employees, we have better health and education, we have the lowest government corruption in the world (after Switzerland??), we have a political system that isn't fucking retarded like America, Kiwi's are mostly nice people, all our food isn't literally injected with fat and sugar, ain't noone gonna nuke us. And much more.

But hey, we rated a show R18...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post