Wellness Stones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2014, 05:59 PM
RE: Wellness Stones
How about a smooth wooden button with the inscription: "Serenity now!" The serenity button. Tongue

People can keep it in their pockets and when they get upset they can fondle it and peace will come over them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-10-2014, 06:01 PM
(15-10-2014 09:53 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Back in the 80's there used to be these things called "mood rings". It was a ring with a stone that had a thermochromic element in it and the color of the stone changed with the change in body temperature. The ring came with an explanation of what each color meant. It was totally stupid but a lot of people bought into it and thought it was magic. OOOOooooohhhh. Like wow, man.

*70's*
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
15-10-2014, 10:43 PM
never heard of something like that.

I heard of a worry stone in which you rub this smooth stone to make your worries go away.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
16-10-2014, 06:16 AM
(14-10-2014 08:58 AM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  This is something bizarre which I don't really have much information on because I honestly don't even know what to google, but I wonder if anyone else has encountered it.

Today while I was in town I was stopped by a man who was trying to sell these little round stones with LED lights implanted into the back of them. He told me that they were used to "bring peace of mind and help the body locate the correct energies to cure any illness you might have", as well as "give you a sense of rhythm to help with your social life".
I didn't have the time or energy for any sort of confrontation or questioning so I just said 'no thanks' and moved on. I have never encountered anything like it before, at least in the thing being sold, though I've had similar claims made to me about oils and herb bundles and such. Wish I'd stayed to get more information now though, but 20/20 hindsight and all that.

Does anyone know what these things are, or ever encountered similar snake oil?
My parents were hanging out a lot around such people. I have learned to try only that which is free or very cheap. Expensive woo stuff means that the salesman knows it's just a brief fashion and there's no lasting value, so he wants to make money as fast as possible.

In my experience, the only thing that "locates the correct energies" is stretching your limits in whatever we find a challenge. Doing the things you find the most difficult, yet deeply personally meaningful, not marathon if you don't care about that.
People who stay comfortable and aren't hurting all over from stretching their limits for a greater goal, don't get all that much extra energy, no matter what they do.

Also, I haven't figured out the "sense of rhythm and social life" yet, the only thing I know is, it needs a bit different stones than the LED flashing ones Angel
16-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Top kek dank m8 :L

On the stuff about only engaging in cheap woo; I think a lot of people would suggest to avoid woo all together, but I think that anything is worth a try to see if you enjoy it. Personally I love to engage in neo-pagan and norse pagan things, not because I believe in them, but I just love the style. I even have the Elder Futhark Runic alphabet up on my wall so I can figure out the 'correct' things for designs. A made a lot of small wooden medallions with runes on them and small designs which are relevant to the singular meaning of the rune. The premise of the designs is that they are good luck charms and bring protection/luck/whatever, though I don't actually believe that, I just think they are fun and look cool

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
16-10-2014, 08:00 AM
Actually, this "stone in pocket" thing can be useful.

I have known people who gave up smoking by having a stone in their pocket and fondling it whenever they got the urge.

This works for them not because of supernatural powers, but because it serves as a reminder to stay focused and stick to their resolve. Also, it is always good to introduce a substitute when you remove something from your life.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-10-2014, 08:02 AM
(16-10-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, this "stone in pocket" thing can be useful.

I have known people who gave up smoking by having a stone in their pocket and fondling it whenever they got the urge.

This works for them not because of supernatural powers, but because it serves as a reminder to stay focused and stick to their resolve. Also, it is always good to introduce a substitute when you remove something from your life.

I think those are called 'worry' stones.
16-10-2014, 09:35 AM
(16-10-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, this "stone in pocket" thing can be useful.

All things "magical" work in the mind.
Period.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
16-10-2014, 10:02 AM
I have a dream catcher. I know its a bunch of hooey but it is beautiful Heart

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-10-2014, 02:56 PM

This is kinda dumb but there's a great scene from The Caine Mutiny in in which Humphrey Bogart uses what I think are Ben Wa balls, tumbling them over and over in his hand to curb his nerves on the witness stand.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.