Welp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Welp
I'm in a weird position. I'm trying to be calm about the current world terror..my boyfriends asleep so I got no one to talk directly to. My thing is. All of these posts.. 5 major earthquakes in 48 hours.. Japan splitting.. 38 volcanoes erupting around the world. I get that this stuff is natural in a way.. Some even say it's encouraged by the stress humans put on the earth.
I'm just curious.. Maybe crazy.. Maybe the anxiety is kicking in (I'm trembling but it's not hurting my chest)
The bible "prophesied" about things like this. Saying they would hit like a woman with contractions.. And whatnot. How could they have even known it would get so bad? And how long till it does get to where the earthquakes are just.. Everywhere? I mean do they back off after the right amount of pressure is relieved? What the heck is going on with the world? The more I get comfortable in letting go.. Crazy things happen that pull me back.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-04-2016, 12:26 AM
RE: Welp
If you're entertaining the notion that said events are tied to something called end of times there isn't much that anyone can do to help you quell the anxiety. While I neither know nor care about these events it's safe to say that there is nothing supernatural in them - not even once in history of universe something supernatural happened so in all probability today isn't different.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-04-2016, 01:07 AM
(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  .. Japan splitting..

Huh

Consider

Hug

Japan is not 'Splitting'... that's New Zealand's job. Tongue

There's nothing weird or extra-ordinary happening here.

Am sitting safe and comfortable in the middle of a big @rsed continental plate. No earth-quakes, no volcanoes. All calm and peaceful

Just got to watch out for the spiders wandering loose about the place. Tongue

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
22-04-2016, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2016 01:17 AM by JDog554.)
Earthquakes total so far this year, 977. Total last year, 14,795, highest 2006 with 15,798.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ea...es_in_2016

USGS locate about 50 earthquakes each day

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...qstats.php

There are about 1500 active volcanoes that exist.

http://www.usgs.gov/faq/categories/9819/2689

This is all normal. Earthquakes and volcanoes can strike anytime. There is no way of knowing when atm and they are not on any set schedule so it's possible to have a string of earthquakes and volcano eruptions. Also got to remember aftershocks. Powerful earthquakes will generate powerful aftershocks. This has been the same pattern for many years, just now news gets around faster and more are detected/felt than ever before with more population and better technology.

Edit: Bible also said they would hit in diverse places. Hitting on major plates where they are expected to hit is hardly diverse.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
22-04-2016, 01:36 AM
Science to the rescue!

(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The bible "prophesied" about things like this. Saying they would hit like a woman with contractions.. And whatnot. How could they have even known it would get so bad?

The Bible "prophesied" many things that didn't happen, as well as things that happened numerous times. Also, the Bible is not the only piece of ancient text with failed prophecies. They had no idea what they were talking about.

(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  And how long till it does get to where the earthquakes are just.. Everywhere?

Earthquakes can't happen "everywhere". In a million years it could be possible. Earthquakes happen mainly in places around the borders of moving tectonic plates.

(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I mean do they back off after the right amount of pressure is relieved? What the heck is going on with the world?

There's no "pressure to be relieved". The Earth itself causes the movements of the tectonic plates which, in turn, cause earthquakes. Earthquakes are common and natural. They have been happening since forever and trust me, we've had much worse in the past.

Natural disasters happen all the time. The only reason we think they're getting worse now is the media.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 3 users Like undergroundp's post
22-04-2016, 01:44 AM
Around 500,000 earthquakes occur each year, detectable with current instrumentation. About 100,000 of these can be felt.

The number of seismic stations has increased from about 350 in 1931 to many thousands today. As a result, many more earthquakes are reported than in the past, but this is because of the vast improvement in instrumentation, rather than an increase in the number of earthquakes.

The deadliest on record was the 1556 Shaanxi earthquake in China which killed an estimated 820,000–830,000 people.

Earthquakes are entirely natural. That people choose to live in cities in earthquake prone areas means that the impact on humans is invariably going to be enormous when those cities are affected.

I happen to live in one of the least seismically active areas in the world so I'm entirely relaxed about it and kinda smug. But this has got nothing to do with any myths contained in a 2000 year old book of doubtful fairy tales.

This documentary provides you with some interesting stuff on why tectonic plates and their activity are so intertwined with human history.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
22-04-2016, 05:51 AM
(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  The bible "prophesied" about things like this.

The bible prophesied about many things:

SAB: Failed Prophecies

For example: god cursed Babylon, saying it would be destroyed and never inhabited again. However it has been continuously inhabited since biblical times and remains so to this day.

Quote:Jeremiah 50:39
Therefore the wild beasts of the desert with the wild beasts of the islands shall dwell there, and the owls shall dwell therein: and it shall be no more inhabited for ever; neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation.
Jeremiah, chapter 50

Hillah:
[Image: 2070403_zpscy8c2ncr.jpg]
Hillah (aka Babylon)

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
22-04-2016, 06:08 AM
The prophecies about earthquakes and whatnot were really vague. Those would happen whether they were prophesied or not. Also, earthquakes happened then, too. Most earthquakes now aren't even felt. However, we have equipment that allows us to detect them. They didn't have that back in the Bible days. Also, there are earthquakes that are felt, but aren't very destructive.
22-04-2016, 06:29 AM
If you spout enough vague nonsense -- and call it prophecy -- eventually some sucker is going to come along and claim that they've seen "proof" of your prophecy....................

The day a "prophet" comes along with a date/time stamp that's linked to the atomic clock in Fort Collins Colorado --- and all "prophecies" are written in plain language -- with GPS coordinates to denote the place ----- then published for all to see at least 24 hours in advance -------- THEN we'll see how accurate those fuckers really are..................

I'm willing to bet that'll happen about the same time Jebus makes that grand re-entry......................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
22-04-2016, 08:42 AM
(22-04-2016 12:16 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I'm in a weird position. I'm trying to be calm about the current world terror..my boyfriends asleep so I got no one to talk directly to. My thing is. All of these posts.. 5 major earthquakes in 48 hours.. Japan splitting.. 38 volcanoes erupting around the world. I get that this stuff is natural in a way.. Some even say it's encouraged by the stress humans put on the earth.
I'm just curious.. Maybe crazy.. Maybe the anxiety is kicking in (I'm trembling but it's not hurting my chest)
The bible "prophesied" about things like this. Saying they would hit like a woman with contractions.. And whatnot. How could they have even known it would get so bad? And how long till it does get to where the earthquakes are just.. Everywhere? I mean do they back off after the right amount of pressure is relieved? What the heck is going on with the world? The more I get comfortable in letting go.. Crazy things happen that pull me back.

There have been five mass extinction events in earth history.

Read.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.