Welp... gonna have Cavemen again...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2013, 10:53 AM
RE: Welp... gonna have Cavemen again...
(22-01-2013 10:50 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 10:49 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's a mighty big 'perhaps'. Drinking Beverage
But leaves the possibility open all the same.

And that is why it is unethical. The risk of profound pain to this being is too great.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2013, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2013 11:32 AM by Misanthropik.)
(22-01-2013 10:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-01-2013 10:50 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  But leaves the possibility open all the same.

And that is why it is unethical. The risk of profound pain to this being is too great.
It is unethical, I agree. Never said it wasn't.

As I did say, however; bleeding hearts are going to get in the way of good science. And that is a pity.

Edit: Let me clarify (for the record); the mistreatment and/or suffering of the creature would be unethical. If this were to occur, that is. However, the "risk" of the creature suffering does not render the experiment unethical. Every time we climb into a car, we possess the OVERWHELMING potential to cause "profound pain" to ourselves and others. However, this inherant risk does not render driving unethical.

Either way, as I said before, you've gotta break a few eggs. To put it bluntly: The creature may suffer to whatever extent. Then again, it might not. Either way, it doesn't matter. I say do it anyway, regardless. But, that's me.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
23-01-2013, 08:47 AM
See edit.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Right, the point was that he was close and it might be possible at some point. I think most of us were arguing that position anyways.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
23-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Interesting topic here. I can agree with both sides, as bringing any life into this world is an experiment, with potential for both great accomplishment and/or catastrophe. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Would he/she be a freak and alone for life, or be a born celebrity? I think the ethical part of the equation lies mostly in how we were to treat him.

"It's a most distressing affliction to have a sentimental heart and a skeptical mind.”
― نجيب محفوظ, Sugar Street
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
25-01-2013, 12:30 AM
I heard about that. I wonder, if the do this, will the Neanderthal baby be considered human and granted full human rights?

On the plus side, now Geico can have real cavemen for their commercials.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  We're gonna play cosmic PacMan! Scarlet Pimpernel 2 293 21-06-2012 04:33 PM
Last Post: Chas
  Finally gonna drill into that huge underice lake in Antarctica. germanyt 31 1,629 06-02-2012 09:30 AM
Last Post: germanyt
  Modern day cavemen? germanyt 3 542 01-02-2012 05:43 PM
Last Post: Peterkin