Went back into denial again..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Went back into denial again..
My Uncle took his own life almost a month ago and that caused me to go back into denial about my atheism. I became a universalist gor the last few weeks. But in my mind I still can't believe in the Bible or in God......how do you process the grief and loss of loved onesas atheists now???
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2016, 04:38 PM
RE: Went back into denial again..
(29-04-2016 04:25 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  My Uncle took his own life almost a month ago and that caused me to go back into denial about my atheism. I became a universalist gor the last few weeks. But in my mind I still can't believe in the Bible or in God......how do you process the grief and loss of loved onesas atheists now???

I don't know; I guess I'm just really good at forgetting or supressing the ones who are lost. I lost two grandparents in the span of a year, and I never cried or really felt anything. And I'd say I was close to both of them.

I don't know what to say that will help you. The dead pass, they had their time, and thinking too much of what became of them distracts you from living your own life.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
29-04-2016, 04:58 PM
(29-04-2016 04:25 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  My Uncle took his own life almost a month ago and that caused me to go back into denial about my atheism. I became a universalist gor the last few weeks. But in my mind I still can't believe in the Bible or in God......how do you process the grief and loss of loved onesas atheists now???

Hmmm, how to deal with grief and loss? Strength of will and character.

Nobody gets out of this alive. You're a long time dead. Think yourself lucky you got to live at all. Another sperm may have beaten you to it.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
29-04-2016, 05:10 PM

We all process it the same way, whether we are religious or not.

It's hard to lose someone we care about. How much you grieve depends on the amount of interaction you had. Often the reaction of others around you also plays a role. The thought of suicide is very upsetting to a lot of people, so it tends to draw a bigger response.

What exactly did you expect religion would do regarding your grief?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-04-2016, 05:15 PM
Sad RE: Went back into denial again..
(29-04-2016 04:58 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Nobody gets out of this alive.

Five to one baby, one in five, no one here gets out alive.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-04-2016, 06:05 PM
The fact that atheists and theists mourn for the deceased in similar ways prove that humans have more in common than either side would like to admit at times. I agree with Banjo. It's will. When my father died, I didn't grieve over having made the decision to turn the machine off. It was because he died and there were things that will forever go unsaid and undone. Whether you believe your uncle is completely gone or has a soul that's somewhere, we all know he's no longer here. All you can do is process it in your own way. There is really nothing anyone can do. And that's not a bad thing. Only you know how you really feel, so only you can ever know how to really deal with your feelings.

Just hang in there. That's all I can offer.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
29-04-2016, 06:42 PM (This post was last modified: 29-04-2016 06:48 PM by Chas.)

"universalist gor"? Consider

Unitarian Universalists aren't Christians and don't 'believe in' the Bible. Is this some kind of Christian Universalist church?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Some Christians are universalists...
29-04-2016, 06:46 PM
I process grief by thinking about the person who is gone and feeling sad. That emotion fades eventually. I think about how much a loved one meant to me and how glad I was to have known them. As I don't believe in an afterlife, I try to show the people I care for that I love them in the present.

The expectation of heaven doesn't really do much to short-circuit the grief process, IMO. I mean, religious people say all of the stuff about seeing their loved ones in the sweet bye and bye, but as far as I can see they grieve loss as hard as the rest of us.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
29-04-2016, 06:49 PM
(29-04-2016 06:44 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Some Christians are universalists...

Indeed. And some Christians are atheists.

#sigh