Went back into denial again..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2016, 09:16 PM
RE: Went back into denial again..
(29-04-2016 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:44 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  Some Christians are universalists...

Indeed. And some Christians are atheists.

Wikipedia Wrote:Other Christian atheists such as Thomas Altizer preserve the divinity of Jesus, arguing that through him God negates God's transcendence of being.

They are not atheists. Or Christians.

It is one of the stupidest appellations ever coined. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2016, 10:06 PM
(29-04-2016 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Indeed. And some Christians are atheists.

Wikipedia Wrote:Other Christian atheists such as Thomas Altizer preserve the divinity of Jesus, arguing that through him God negates God's transcendence of being.

They are not atheists. Or Christians.

That's probably why I like it so much.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
29-04-2016, 10:17 PM
(29-04-2016 04:25 PM)jason197754 Wrote:  My Uncle took his own life almost a month ago and that caused me to go back into denial about my atheism. I became a universalist gor the last few weeks. But in my mind I still can't believe in the Bible or in God......how do you process the grief and loss of loved onesas atheists now???

Celebrate the life they had, don't dwell on the lose of their life. They're simply dead, and they're not in heaven or hell. Rather they simply cease to be, continuing on only in memories. But they're not suffering anymore either. They have no worries, no problems; the dead want for nothing. There is no greater peace to be had.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-04-2016, 12:01 AM
I don't do much grieving, everybody will die at some point and I have my life to take care of.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-04-2016, 06:22 AM
(29-04-2016 10:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 09:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  They are not atheists. Or Christians.

That's probably why I like it so much.

Why do I find that unsurprising? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
30-04-2016, 07:44 AM
(30-04-2016 06:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 10:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That's probably why I like it so much.

Why do I find that unsurprising? Consider

When you boil it all down, absurdity makes the most sense.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
04-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Interestingly enough, Seth has done two podcasts on the issue of grieving without faith.

Other than offering that and my condolences, can't say much, as I'm not an atheist. Except to say that the process of grieving is something we all share, whether one believes in an afterlife or not and that it differs from person to person in how they feel and react to the passing of a loved one.

Need to think of a witty signature.
04-05-2016, 12:37 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss *hugs*

It would be wonderful if we could see those we've lost again. The idea of that is very comforting. I recently lost a very dear friend on here and I would love the idea that I could see him again, talk to him again, laugh with him again, be silly with him again. I know people years ago wanted these things too with the loved ones that they lost. That is why they invented stories of a magical place in the heavens to comfort themselves.

I can see the desire to go back to that type of belief. However, there is an importance in living in reality. An importance in knowing these stories are make believe. It forces you to realize that we have one life and because of that it is so important to live that life as we see fit-on our own terms-and not based on ancient stories. There is an importance in realizing that those we love are not going to be around forever, so don't put off spending time with them or telling them what they mean to you.

What is helping me get through the loss of a close friend is the support of others who also miss him. That is much more comforting to me than pretending he is living in a magical place somewhere up in the heavens. Reach out to friends and family members, lean on them. Plant a tree in their honor or do something else to remember them, something significant to you and them. All of that helps the grieving process and serves as a way to honor and celebrate the person who has passed on.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
04-05-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your uncle. Tragedy does have a way of trying one's resolve. As far as I know Unitarian Universalists do not necessarily take a firm position that there is or is not a god - or at least you're not required to believe in one to be part of the UU as far as I know. My mother in law is a recovering Catholic and member of a UU church and she says there are out-and-proud atheists in her congregation.

To me I think the scientific view of life and matter and the universe is far more poetic than anything I've heard dreamed up by most of the modern religions. Your matter decomposes, changes shape, goes on to nourish other life, and eventually when the Earth is swallowed by the sun, will return to the stardust from whence it came. Atoms are forever, lol.

I know it's not easy but try to think of your uncle's passing as an opportunity to celebrate his life and his part in your life. This relationship may be over, but given the vastness of the universe and all the possible outcomes you're damn lucky that you knew each other at all really. Cherish the moments you had.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
02-08-2016, 12:25 AM
I'm so sorry you are going through this... that's really really rough.

One of my uncles recently passed and it was the first time I have lost a family member after realizing my atheism. My uncle's death was a shock to me. He had a heart attack and could not be revived. I went through phases of shock and anger. I was mainly angry because my other Uncle used it as an opportunity to try to make people feel guilty as a preacher at his funeral.

He attempted to guilt people into "turning to Jesus". I will never forget, bowing my head out of respect, but not closing my eyes, because I didn't want to be ingenuine and I heard him saying "EVERYONE's head bowed, EVERYONE's eyes closed", but I refused to close my eyes.

But I just kept thinking...how dare he take a day that is to be about celebrating my uncle's life and make it about trying to convert people when everyone in here is so vulnerable?

I guess, the only advice I can really give is to let yourself grieve and let yourself feel. Try to be aware of how you are reacting to other people, but let yourself go through every emotion that you need to in order to mentally heal.
[+] 1 user Likes pagesofdreams's post