Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
03-04-2011, 09:48 AM

RE: Were you once a believer?
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

Brought up in the church but at the age of 8 started questioning in sunday school the stories, just never quit questioning.
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Believe it or not I was once a believer. I'm ashamed to say this as I wasn't just a believer but also a young earth creationist. I can thank my mum for that.

I was in my teens and my mum had been divorced for 2-3 years and was going through a nervous breakdown. I chose to stay with my mum since I was allot closer to her (my dad spent most of his time in front of the computer). My mum became a full on Christian zealot almost overnight claiming she had seen an angel etc...
It became clear to me at least on a subconscious level that I would not be able to live with her if I didn't convert..

To cut a long story short my mind ended up rejecting the ideology. I had too many questions that the pastors and others couldn't give satisfying answers to. Too much cognitive dissonance caused by reality rudely poking through crude YEC beliefs. Too many preachers using emotions to manipulate the audience (I'm not very emotion based).

It ended with my mum kicking me out of my childhood home screaming "OUT SATAN" at the top of her lungs. I'm sure the neighbors heard. It basically destroyed my relationship with her. To me she basically died that day.

I think she's still a Christian today, though I haven't seen her for a few years now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2011, 04:35 AM
That's a sad story. Sorry to hear that man. Sad

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
09-04-2011, 08:40 AM

As children we have to listen to our parents, do as they say, go to church, my sister and I had to attend a church in another language, she would often fall asleep, dress up in our best, and try make out or be interested in what the pastor was saying. I would never subject my son to that !!!
10-04-2011, 06:34 AM
How easy it is for a religion to destroy a whole family, leave scares in someone for the rest of the life... Yeah, religion is really good, we should all accept Jesus.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
12-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I stop believing when i read and watch documentaries about the history of Christianity and it's parent Judaism and watch debates between atheists and believers
13-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I never believed. I had a mother who went back and forth on her beliefs depending on what was happening in her life, but I could never accept any religious teachings.

When I got older I studied Buddhism and learned that there was a philosophical core I could respect and use, but still ignored it's myths and magic.
22-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Was brought up in a Christian family but was only taken to church very occasionally when too young to really understand the meaning of it. Don't think I could say that I was once a believer. Have been passionately atheist ever since I ever properly thought about religion (around early teen years).
23-04-2011, 05:47 AM
(09-04-2011 03:36 AM)GodVirusDeleted Wrote:  Believe it or not I was once a believer. I'm ashamed to say this as I wasn't just a believer but also a young earth creationist. I can thank my mum for that.

I was in my teens and my mum had been divorced for 2-3 years and was going through a nervous breakdown. I chose to stay with my mum since I was allot closer to her (my dad spent most of his time in front of the computer). My mum became a full on Christian zealot almost overnight claiming she had seen an angel etc...
It became clear to me at least on a subconscious level that I would not be able to live with her if I didn't convert..

To cut a long story short my mind ended up rejecting the ideology. I had too many questions that the pastors and others couldn't give satisfying answers to. Too much cognitive dissonance caused by reality rudely poking through crude YEC beliefs. Too many preachers using emotions to manipulate the audience (I'm not very emotion based).

It ended with my mum kicking me out of my childhood home screaming "OUT SATAN" at the top of her lungs. I'm sure the neighbors heard. It basically destroyed my relationship with her. To me she basically died that day.

I think she's still a Christian today, though I haven't seen her for a few years now.

It amazes me how a religion like Christianity claims love and acceptance but in reality only teaches people to hate. Sad I'm so sorry to hear your mother lost her senses and became so engrossed in this faith to the point she rejected her own child.
23-04-2011, 02:44 PM

I can't really say that I ever believed...at least no more than I believed that I was a member of the G.I. Joe brigade while carrying a stick shaped like a gun.

I was not drug from church to church, nor was I subjected to any serious discussion of religion while at home.

What influenced my later [current] attitudes was my time in the military. There are sometimes active attempts to intervene in a service members life through the use of religious doctrine/dogma. That is when I decided to read any/all holy books I could find...when I was done (about 3 years worth of study and contemplation), I realized that I could not subscribe to the type of backwards thinking and barbarous actions I had read about.