Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-04-2011, 11:53 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I'm from the south of the United States so I was raised going to church and actually enjoyed going with friends but I was young and really didn't pray or even think for myself but once I was old enough to understand I started to question and then disbelieved.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-04-2011, 10:00 AM

Just as many others on here it was forced on me as a kid but once I grew up I started to question a lot of things that didnt make sense. Imagine that, people coming to a logical conclusion by using rational thought.
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Sort of. I liked the pictures and marble floor in my grandmother's cathedral; liked the sense of community in my cousins' rural church. Nobody made me go and there wasn't a prevailing state religion, so i was free to choose. Read the bible on my own at twelve or so. Didn't like Moses, Abraham 'n' them, but liked Jesus okay, until we fell out over the fig tree and the pigs. By the time i forgave him, it was too late to believe.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
08-05-2011, 12:41 AM
When I was a child I spoke as a child I understood as a child I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things.

Starting with religious belief.

I had a brief relapse after the September 11th terrorist attacks because my wife's parents were convinced that the end of the world was at hand and they got me seriously considering it. But old habits die hard. To this day, I'm not sure if I ever really believed in it or I was just caught up in the zeitgeist of it all.

I understand that, as humans, we have a natural disposition towards belief in the supernatural. For a while, I believed that I was going to be killed by the Slenderman after watching some YouTube video series about it. But that was just me freaking myself out.

People are gullible, suggestible, and want to believe in something. Religion exploits that.

Now, I generally have no problem with people practicing religion in private. It's when they start attempting to impose religious views upon the secular world that I start to take serious issue. Things like Muslims attempting to impose Sharia law in non-Muslim countries, Christians trying to get intelligent design taught in SCIENCE class, etc. People are free to worship whatever fictional invisible man makes them happy, but religious organizations should never be allowed to have access to public funding, tax money, public education, legal system or the government. I believe in an absolute separation of church and state.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Bezo's post
08-05-2011, 12:49 PM

When I was young, I was in Sunday school, and I didn't know any better. Naturally, I grew up thinking there is a god that loves me. As I got older and older, I started to see all of the flaws with religion, and I just decided there was no god.
09-05-2011, 08:30 PM
(08-05-2011 12:41 AM)Bezo Wrote:  I understand that, as humans, we have a natural disposition towards belief in the supernatural. For a while, I believed that I was going to be killed by the Slenderman after watching some YouTube video series about it. But that was just me freaking myself out.

Would you say they have a natural disposition towards the supernatural or a natural disposition towards something nuturing that is bigger then they are...like a baby to it's mother or a son his father? Or a child to an imaginary friend?
09-05-2011, 09:00 PM
(09-05-2011 08:30 PM)djgenx7 Wrote:  
(08-05-2011 12:41 AM)Bezo Wrote:  I understand that, as humans, we have a natural disposition towards belief in the supernatural. For a while, I believed that I was going to be killed by the Slenderman after watching some YouTube video series about it. But that was just me freaking myself out.

Would you say they have a natural disposition towards the supernatural or a natural disposition towards something nuturing that is bigger then they are...like a baby to it's mother or a son his father? Or a child to an imaginary friend?

A mixture of the two, really. We have a tendency to want to fill in any gaps in our understanding and if there's no known reasons, the supernatural comes into play. Of course, as time has gone on, there are less and less gaps in our understanding. It probably has something to do with our imaginations as well, which are extremely powerful.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-05-2011, 08:09 AM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2011 08:15 AM by Cusco.)
Yes I was ....35 years ago to be exact I was 17 when I saw the light, pun or no pun as you want to take it WinkBig GrinTongue My mother in a minister.. lol go figure,

She and my brother spotted my bumper sticker, so she laughs shakes her head and says thats my son for you.

It says ATHEIST If you look at it just right (i have had serveral people stop me on the street to ask where I got it and that they liked it..... http://www.cafepress.com)
hint: the letters are in white with a black back ground. once it jumps at you you'll always see it
[Image: untitled-2.jpg]

I was up visting my brother to find out that my, Niece shes 22yrs old asked me about the bumper sticker and the I.P.U. symbol and I told her, turns out she is and agnostic.

The Christian God can easily be pictured as virtually the same God as the many ancient Gods of
past civilizations. The Christian God is a three headed monster cruel, vengeful, and capricious
......If one wishes to know more of this raging three headed beast-like god. one only needs to
look at the caliber of the people who say they serve him they are always of two classes fools an hypocrites

Why would a God create people so imperfect then blame them for there own imperfections.
Then send his own son to be judged, tortured, and killed by the very same imperfect people.
In order to make up for how imperfect we are?
17-05-2011, 01:37 PM

yes, but never fully invested in belief to delusional levels until 2007-2008, and then never again, even if I was in one of my 'phases' where I believed in god. I was insanely religious there for a while. I have bipolar disorder and it can be argued, I think, that I was 'manic' at that time. and I was sickeningly positive during that same time. nothing brought me down and nothing made me believe there wasn't a god. I felt god moving in my life. it was insane, literally and figuratively, but it is what it is.

as far as being raised religious, I don't think I was, tho my mother has told me in the past that I was sent to sunday school, and I just don't remember that. my father is spiritual - was an atheist - and hates religion and takes great joy in mocking it. my mother is quietly baptist. I am not sure what she believes, to be honest. but they never raised me religious, I just assumed there was a god until I was 16, when my grandmother died, and, for the first time, I shouted to the 'heavens' that there was no god.
22-05-2011, 02:39 PM

When I was younger my dad used to make me and my sister go to church with him. When we were teens we used to say we'd go on our own and used to go to a friends house as we didn't believe any of it and thought church was so boring and hypocritical.
Ironically my dad also no longer goes now and I think feels foolish for making us go back then.