it is not knowledge
it is not experience

if it was a knowledge and an experience
it would no longer be a belief
it would be a truth... for that person

Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 01:17 AM

RE: Were you once a believer?
i was also a beilever until i was 17 . i was muslim. then became a deist then agnostic then reality Smile
26-05-2011, 12:44 PM

I used to be a mormon, but am currently getting my name struck off the books of that religion. I started questioning it when they stated that they held all the 'keys' for eternal happiness. I was 12 at that time, and started questioning it in silence. It wasn't until I was 16, when my sexuality was noted by the bishop, that I decided to leave the religion. I was threatened excommunication if I didn't act straight, go on a mission, marry a girl, and have lots and lots of kids. Now who in their right mind would believe that sort of crap?

In case your wondering, I'm Bisexual, but they thought I was Gay.

Regards,

Indoril
26-05-2011, 12:46 PM

(26-05-2011 12:44 PM)Indoril Wrote:  In case your wondering, I'm Bisexual, but they thought I was Gay.

I know your pain. I'm gay and people think I'm straight. Very annoying! Dodgy

Welcome! Tongue
26-05-2011, 12:50 PM

RE: Where you once a believer?
(30-12-2010 09:13 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(30-12-2010 09:04 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Any question is answered with "I think..." Big Grin
Cool... where do i sign in? Smile

What an adorable baby!
26-05-2011, 02:01 PM
When I was a kid I felt the need to know, so I found a friend who`s family were devout Christians and went with them to church every sunday. I read the new testament, then went on to read the Old (which as a little boy I found far more entertaining a read). Through all of this i found that I didn`t buy into the whole religion thing, at least not that one, so I moved on to other churches, eventually finding myself reading books on Buddhism, even becoming a buddhist for roughly six months before realizing that wasn`t for me either. I felt weird because everyone else seemed to accept religion in one form or another and all I could see were the bad parts. And the downright stupid parts. My mind couldn`t grasp how people could follow something so out there without question, and yet condemn those who believe in aliens, or bigfoot. Seemed kind of hypocritical. I let the idea of a religious me go away, and eventually found out that I am not an atheist (sorry guys and gals) but am indeed a teapot agnostic. I`m a lot happier now.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2011, 04:13 PM
My entire extended family is devout Mormon. I grew up going to church weekly, not being able to drink caffeine and all of the other nonsense that comes with Mormonism. As a young child I ate it up- as does every child given a cookie when they answer the question correctly. At the age of 12 - I started questioning my faith because of a lesson in Geography about the Egyptians. The entire class was laughing hysterically at the afterlife of floating down a underground river with our worldly posessions. At that moment, I wondered how long in the future it would be until there would be another class learning about our faith and laughing at us for so many of our silly beliefs. Mormons don't take lightly to children questioning the faith - and I was told, as a female, my life would be overly difficult, because I "thought to much" ( apparently women are not supposed to question anything Smile ). I'm 29 now, and although I haven't believed in any kind of organized religion past the age of maybe 16 - I still held on to looking for "something". I can now definitely say - I've let go of any notion of a higher power but it was a long road of letting completely go. BTW speaking of letting go. If you haven't listened to "Letting go of God" by Julia Sweeney -- its pretty spot on for most people who have been raised up in faith with religious families-- and also pretty funny! And she is Pat from SNL -- which I learned after I listened to her monologue and that made me laugh even more.. Tongue

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
26-05-2011, 04:45 PM

i was!

i was a christian until i was 8(yes, i went to church every sunday and read the bible. all that jazz.). after that i ended up being pagan, but that only lasted a year. but what i found from paganism were gods that satisfied my hunger for what i thought a religion could be. shortly after(when i turned 9) i became atheist because i felt that although i had found a comforting religion that everything that religion brought was very magical. as much as i love magic even i could understand that it defied most logic and common sense.

now, here i am! =3
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure what to put. In fact, I'm not even sure when I became an atheist. I suppose it's the same time I stopped believing in Santa.

I wasn't indoctrinated by my parents (they are Jewish Atheist/Agnostic) but I reckon my school had a Christian twist (we sang hymns, etc) and when I got into year 5 or 6 I just hummed along because I thought it was stupid.

"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.
-DA
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
(04-06-2011 02:42 PM)oliethefolie Wrote:  I'm not sure what to put. In fact, I'm not even sure when I became an atheist. I suppose it's the same time I stopped believing in Santa.

I wasn't indoctrinated by my parents (they are Jewish Atheist/Agnostic) but I reckon my school had a Christian twist (we sang hymns, etc) and when I got into year 5 or 6 I just hummed along because I thought it was stupid.

Sorry but I'm pretty sure you are way off base not believing in Santa... have you never been to the mall in my town around the time of Presentree? He hangs out there all the time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison