Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-06-2011, 06:29 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I'm convinced there are few things more effective than a solid parochial school education when it comes to producing atheists. Wink

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I never believed. I started Sunday School at age four and simply did not believe anything they told me. Sticks turning into snakes and guys walking on water! How dumb did they think I was?

To put it in perspective, I didn't accept the regular fairy stories either - houses made of gingerbread? Seven league boots? Midgets named Rumplestiltskin? I wasn't having any of that.

I did, however, believe in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy, but I had solid evidence for those characters - all those presents and all those coins under my pillow - where else could they have come from?

Believe nothing you hear and only half what you see
[+] 2 users Like Joe Bloe's post
17-07-2011, 09:36 AM

I was never really a believer, but I was raised what my mom called "Catholic" even though we never went to church. Basically, it was-- "God is real, and if you don't believe in him, you're going to hell."

Even in elementary school, I never fell into it. I remember my friends talking about God in 2nd grade during lunch, and they asked me something, and I said I didn't believe in God. They started being really mean, and saying all these terrible things about how I'm a horrible person and how God loves me and if I don't love him back, they were all going to spit on me because I had no soul. Second grade.

At that point I said I believed in God just to avoid being hurt like that.
It wasn't until I was around 11 that I learned what the word atheist meant, and how I wasn't alone, and then proclaimed myself as one. Luckily, I have logical parents who don't agree, but don't really do anything about it, they just let it be, which I appreciate a lot.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bethany's post
17-07-2011, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2011 11:08 AM by Mindprowler.)
I wasn't even aware of the character Jesus until after I had stopped believing in Santa Claus. Never believed, was never taught to believe, the dude was rarely mentioned around my house. Didn't start referring to myself as an atheist until I became aware of the effects of religion on those around me. I didn't realize what religion really was until I was well into elementary school, probably around grades 5 or 6.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MindprowlerMusic
20-07-2011, 08:30 AM

I voted yes, but it's more like a "yes*" with an asterisk. My parents made my siblings and I watch a lot of religious propaganda videos, so up until I was about 13 or 14, despite my major doubts and concerns about religion, I did sort of believe in it, but mostly because I was afraid of going to hell.

I don't remember the titles of the videos, but one in particular was about the this group of people living in South America who had to escape because the world was starting to implement laws prohibiting people from worshiping on Saturday. It really disturbed me at the time. Looking back on it though, the video featured some of the worst acting I'd ever seen lol.

Eventually I was able to see the propaganda for what it was, and it no longer effected me, thus paving the way for me to become agnostic and eventually an atheist.
08-08-2011, 12:46 AM
Unfortunately yes. Sad

I was a indroctrinated, brainwashed, diluted, etc. child that would come home from school and sing little rigilous ryhmes to myself and claim that God is real, and He loves me and never does wrong. I would pray once or twice and never hear/see or feel anything then just believe that I had heard something or that God will guide me, and yet go out and learn about science and do my own little experiments. I'd believe that Science is the truth, yet I "believed" God was the reason.

Honestly, looking back at my back at childhood, I hate what I was. There are few things I hate, but me, who and what I. If you where to meet me today, you'd never guess that I hate myself. But those things I did, said and believed . . .

Yeah. Melodramatic ain't I? Wink

«Είμα Ανθρώπου. Είμαι όλοι για μένα. Δεν υπάρχουν Θεοί».
Ωμέγα Γάμμα
31-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Yes, i was. I was raised in a german christian Family.
They weren't that bad, so no brainwash or something, but i also never thougt about the option not to belive in god - until i was about 16 years old.
At that age i started do ask questions and when i turned 17 i was an atheist, or agnostic - i'm still not sure how to call myself Wink

So far as a short introduction.

I'm sorry for grammatical or spelling mistakes but i'm just a 17 year old german, learning english in school Smile

There are only two things which are endless: The universe an human stupidity, although with the human stupidity i'm not sure.

Albert Einstein
31-08-2011, 06:06 PM

I never was a believer in any sense of the word... My parents both come from Roman Catholic backgrounds but never indoctrinated me... I've sat through church quite a few times but it's about as disturbing thing as you can imagine.
31-08-2011, 07:25 PM

I can't say that I was ever a "true" believer. Neither of my parents were very religious when I was child, but my mother or grandmother would take my sister & I to church on occasion (i.e. once every month or so, and maybe on holidays). My grandmother, and subsequently, my mother were Baptist by the way (nothing extreme). My dad was "saved" by jesus when I was 15 or 16 and immediately went back to his pentecostal roots (that's a story for another time). So I was exposed to religion from the very beginning, but I was also a very curious child. By the time I was 15 or 16 I had substantial exposure to religion, the bible, god, jesus, and so on, but it never really made any logical sense to me. I would often ask questions that no one could answer, which sparked my curiosity even more. Of course, I would always end up getting a response of "you shouldn't question the lord", or "that's the way god made it", ect. I felt sort of like Joe Dirt when he would ask his father a question that he couldn't answer and he would just say "Well hell, you might as well ask, why is a tree good? or why is the sky good?, or why are boobs good? Nobody knows, they just are!". I'm 35 now and I've never stopped asking questions. I've always considered myself to be a freethinking agnostic with atheistic tendencies.
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM

(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

I was once a believer, but my faith just sort of faded away. Now I am an Atheist.