Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
06-09-2011, 01:29 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I was born, raised, and traumatized Catholic. My unconversion has been progressive through the years. For the longest time, I still believed in the supernatural. I believed that heaven and hell were merely symbolic of the afterlife and no one was guaranteed to experience either for eternity. Rather, I believed that all religions were right and as long as you were a good person, you would get to a heavenly state through your good deeds. I didn't know much about religion at the time, most likely because I was content with my beliefs and no longer feared an eternal hell.

But one day, I was taken to school by a young earther. I was ill-equipped to debate him and vowed to never let this guy (this guy is a liar and an idiot) school me again. So I researched the subject with no intentions of debunking my faith, I just wanted to argue for evolution. Two months later, I was an atheist. Thanks young earther for showing me the way!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2011, 10:45 AM

I'm not sure that I ever truly believed but I tried to in hopes to appease the authority figures in my childhood.
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2011, 12:48 AM
I was a devout Lutheran, or a really laid back Christian, they are the same.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Living better through not dying Big Grin
10-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Does a random 1-week converstion to a really weird, self motivated and self created version of christianity as an 8 year old count?

Long story, I stole something from a shop. It wasn't even particularly big and the shop was in France but I became slightly convinced that I was going to be arrested. Going to a state school where prayers happened after every assembly I decided that if I prayed to god he'd stop me being arrested.

That lasted all of maybe a week.

Now I look back on it it kind of highlights the stupidity of religion.
10-09-2011, 05:30 PM

I was born into a Christian family. I was baptized against my will and received my first communion after learning only the cheery aspects of the Bible. My leave from religion first began in sixth grade. I had asked my teacher, a nun, if pets went to heaven. I was told that they did not. Me, being the smart-ass that I was, and to some extent still am, responded, "If God loves everything and everyone, and God made everything and everyone, then why wouldn't our pets and animals be in heaven"? My teacher told me this: "In heaven we don't need animals, only God". It was then I became an agnostic and began to question. I had constantly question and looked for actual answers. It was my freshman year of high school that I began jumping between being an Agnostic and an Atheist. In June 2011 I finally decided to officially be an Atheist after starting to read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I am proud to be an Atheist and will continue to pursue free thought.
13-09-2011, 04:00 AM

I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, however even as a child I was doubtful and skeptical of the existence of God. I grew up with a lot of fear and shame, and even now many of my family members wont have anything to do with me except to try to give me the latest WatchTower mag. Thankfully my dad is no longer religion, and my mother left the JWs years ago and has now joined some other super weird cult-like church. My little sister follows my good example of non-belief. Smile
13-09-2011, 10:06 AM

I was a believer, I suppose. I followed all the rules and went to church when I was younger. After college, I started to wonder if God was real, so I prayed and prayed for Jesus to save my soul. The actual act of doing that seemed somewhat awkward and.. and well, meaningless. I mean, if I prayed to God, and he was real, wouldn't he be able to read my thoughts? From that moment on, I was skeptical of the whole God idea, but not enough to give it up. It actually took something else. My youngest sister became friendly with some Mormon boys (yes, missionaries)--she got all googlie-eyed over one in particular. Of course he was about the conversion numbers, and was business. She ended up being baptized Mormon in the ocean, and I started reading books about cults. One book in particular described the problems with the cults, and lots of other 'christian' denominations. I knew the Mormons were nothing but a scam group created by a con-man, but did not yet get that all the Christians were actually in the same boat.

Because of my sister's experience, I started to really take a skeptical look at my own religion, and slowly saw that the idea of a god was problematic at best. Then I began my journey to really learn about the bible, and that was he final straw. I feel better knowing there is no god, and that in turn actually allowed me to start enjoying the life I am living. Sorry if I'm getting a bit geeky/goofy.

My family does not know that I am no longer a believer... I'm not yet sure how to handle that.
16-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I was formerly a very devout believer. I no longer ascribe to man-made religions. However, I have just as much a skeptical eye to the atheist who thinks that all the universe is only what we see. The more I have studied physics and astronomy, the more I have come to understand how small and petty our knowledge of reality truly is.

We are glorified monkeys grasping at the wonders of the universe.

I choose not to believe in religions, especially when it is possible to historically trace their roots, but at the same time I remind myself (and others) that the only real truth is that we know nothing. So I temper myself with the knowledge that it is wholly possible the universe was created, it is possible there are other dimensions, it is possible that this is all there is and it will die a cold death at the mercy of dark energy.

So ultimately my beliefs come down to this: "I don't know anything for certain."

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
16-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I wasn't really a strong believer but went to church and all that Jazz

[Image: boston-terrier-gets-scared.gif]
16-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I've always been a believer . . in something. I once was convinced after reading a book about the discovery of wood timbers on Mount Ararat that this proved the story of Noah. But, then I read another book that explained the facts in an empirical manner, and I was convinced that if the story of Noah wasn't one hundred percent true, then other stories had to be examined too. I began by studying many different religions, but still thought that Lutheran(raised) was the best. While in college, I had a thought that if the god of the bible had wanted there to be one true religion, it would be spelled out as clearly as the ten commandments. And since there is NO one true religion, then none of them can be true. Long story shortened, now I believe in living a fulfilling life, but I'm somewhat lazy so it's only partially fulfilling. Hey, but at least I know that I only have myself to blame. I don't know who it was that said, "No one on their death bed ever said, I wish I'd spent more time at the office", and now I'm a firm believer in that.