Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
20-09-2011, 07:14 AM

RE: Were you once a believer?
Only believer until about age of 8 years and only because parents were, sort of, stopped worrying about same time I realized Santa wasn't real. Started researching again when realized eldest sister was religious fanatic, no luck talking her out of it yet.
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Hard to answer. I marked in the poll "no", but one could argue that at a very early age I believed in the religion of my parents and family because I didn't know any better. However, as soon as I was able to start thinking for myself and doubt crept in I shed this inherited belief system and cut ties with the religion I was born in (nor I substituted it with something else).

To me that means I never believed because even when I did, I wouldn't have been able to choose what I believed in.

I am about to write my introductory post and I will explain how I came to believe god was a fabrication and my inherited religion untrue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I was a believer in Christianity for quite some time in my little life, but growing up in New York, I was exposed to a bunch of different religions, and I was confused for a while on how similar they were to me. I was also a bit worried that most if not all of my friends were going to hell for not believing in the big J.C.

I started to ask questions (I was about 8 at the time) to my family, the priest, and some of my Sunday School teachers. I started off simple, asking things like "My best friend is a Muslim, and he doesn't think that Jesus is the son of God", and I asked stupid questions, like "Is my friend being rude to God because he writes it like G-d?" I'd usually get laughed at, said I was "cute" and brushed off.

Then I started looking things up on my own. I don't know how exactly I'd describe myself now, because I like science, but I don't like to rule out people's religious text. I'm a bit at odds with it, because I see all of them as mythology. An example of my view would be like how Roman Gods and Goddesses are usually believed as myth now.

If you went back in time to ancient Rome and you tried to explain to them that at the top of Mount Olympus, there's absolutely no Gods or Goddesses, you'd find that quite a majority of folks would look at you like you were crazy, some might want to hurt you, and others might say "I can believe that, I've never seen anything but clouds up there, anyway." I think that myths can still teach people a thing or two, so long as we remember they are just myths. Some myths are cooler than others, though. I know a lot of children that prefer to hear tales of Hercules and Perseus than they would of Jesus. No offense to anybody reading this. Wink

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger.” -Siddhārtha Gautama
"I have just three things to teach: simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures.” -Lao Tzu
"...thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself..." -Jesus
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM

Actually I don't think I was a believer, my aunt kept taking me to church and forced me to pray every night but I never truly believed in it. I just had done it cause I was forced to, but as soon as I moved home (I was 5-6 years old then) I started the "agnostic stage". And that it's standing right in this moment as well cause I can't make a decision before having a lot of knowledge about them (I started reading the bible but it feels like a story Big Grin, but It's pretty good. I'll see what I get when I go deeper in it, but the funny thing is when I searched for the bible online there were so many versions that I didn't knew which one to read :|) And that's I guess my story, btw I'm 18.
22-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes, I was a believer for a long while. I am no longer.
22-10-2011, 05:06 PM
"When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." - 1 Corinthians 13:11

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
22-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I was never "a believer" unless one counts "believing in science and mathematics." I remember standing before the creator of the universe and receiving the title of prophet, six years ago. I don't even believe the crap coming out of my own stupid brain. Big Grin

I got a scientific explanation for all the religious nonsense in the world except my own - and that's the way it should be - but there ain't no understanding my love of Gwyneth Paltrow. I don't understand it, but I ain't gonna stop doing it. Big Grin

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I can't say I was ever a true believer. My parents aren't religious, yet I went to Sunday school child (it was the 'done thing' in our area in the 1980's). I remember always treating stories like 'David and Goliath' or 'Noah's Arc' as fairy tales, no different to any of the bedtime stories my parents read to me.

I did, however, have the childhood superstitions and magical delusions that most have. I was always careful not to use the names God or Jesus in a negative way, thinking it would in some way bring me bad luck.

As I got older I gradually lost my belief in myths and legends. Was told the truth about Santa, stopped believing in ghosts and fairies. By the time I was at University I had also dumped any illusions towards psychics, fortune tellers and the like.

Over the past decade or so I have embraced my lack of belief and really focused on the power of rational thought. My sons go to a Catholic school (long story, but it is our only real educational option for them), but I have always taught them that the schools take on things like creation and god are merely one of many theories.

I will always allow them to come up with their own answers, I just believe it is my responsibility to teach them the right way to go about coming to the conclusions they do.

Flavoured condoms are not proof that a vagina has taste buds! Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Nye's post
24-10-2011, 12:30 AM
Despite having attended a Jewish day school for the past 10 or so years of my life, I managed to step away from the indoctronation when i realised the nature of religious belief. Hit the books, read some Dawkins, read some Hitchens, who both came to many of the same conclusions I did myself, and voila, it seemed impossible to ever go back to any form of religious faith.

Then again, it was a slope downwards from a young age, believing less and less and less, reforming my ideals of god again and again and again. I guess that people can arrive to their own conclusions with enough logical stimulation, and enough freedom to discuss and learn.

And yes, I am aware of how arrogant my "logical conclusions" may come across...but honestly...why are you here if you don't already believe them Tongue
24-10-2011, 02:44 PM

Its hard to explain, its like asking if you believed in Santa Claus ha ha. I believed what my Gran used to tell me about the bible, etc but the only reason for that is because I was too young and that was basically what I was told to believe. Were taught about in school as well, so it was every where. I was never a huge Christian so to speak, it was almost like a fairy tale in a way. My parents weren't big church goers, but they are Christians. As I got older I started to question things and that's basically how I became an atheist - there are too many things that do not make sense with religion, I can't just believe in it...