Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
25-10-2011, 02:02 PM

RE: Were you once a believer?
My parents lived in Soviet Russia, under an atheist regime. Needless to say, they were ignorant when it came to Judaism. They celebrated a few holidays with their parents as children in secret. Their exposure to Judaism happened when they immigrated to Israel.
I was born about two years after they had settled here, and I lived in a rather atheist home... till I came to kindergarten. To this day, I am angry that I was manipulated at such an early age to believe things. It wasn't just religion. They advocated a "Complete" Israel Map, where Gaza and the West Bank were a part of Israel.
My parents, not wanting to exclude me from other children began celebrating holidays with me - I learned those things in Kindergarten and Primary school, and passed it on to my parents. I respect my parents for doing so. They didn't do it because they believed, they did it because they didn't want me to be an outcast among my Jewish peers.
At the moment I have no faith in anything. Well, maybe a bit in zombie Jesus, but I usually don't ponder about the subject much. Remember, he preaches murder and cannibalism, because you too will rise from the dead three days after you've been killed (or eaten).
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
I used to go to church all the time when I was little. But being "born an adult", as I got older, more and more questions sprouted, and I just kind of gave up. Not in a negative way, but I was just kind of... chill with everything. Everything was casual, mutual, alright, okay. I was concerned, or worried. Curious, yes, but it wasn't a lifestyle. I don't call myself an atheist or anything. I just don't find myself concerned with religion. o:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2011, 02:48 PM
I've never been religious at all. I've been to church when friends or family members have decided to have their wedding at a church etc. but none of them have been religiously motivated at all as far as I know. It's usually just the woman who loves the idea of a big, white "princessy" wedding in a church, so we all just kinda go along with it out of respect for the couple. It's not like listening to fiction for an hour is going to kill us. Wink

I have never ever been to church on a random Sunday though. I don't respect "God" or religion, so I see no reason to go there unless there's like a wedding or whatever.

My family isn't religious at all tbh. I don't remember anyone in my family ever talking about praying, going to church or even believing in hell, the flood, talking snakes etc. I guess I'm just lucky that way. Smile
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Yes I was.
I used to go to church and sang in a choir. I met several catholic priests who never answered my questions about the contradictions in the Bible.

I could see that most of them were hypocrites and even abusive. I saw how several of them liked to touch girls, get drunk, use expensive jewerly while preaching humility, etc. etc.

Thanks god i'm an atheist now!! Big Grin

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Not only a Born Again, Conservative, Evangelical Christian who was totally sold out to God and spreading His Gospel to the World, I was also a Baptist Minister. Currently in therapy twice a week to clear out the toxins that I was poisoned with by well-meaning, but deluded family, friends, mentors, pastors and professors. Sadly I was involved in deluding so many more. Sad

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-11-2011, 05:56 PM
(13-11-2011 11:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Sadly I was involved in deluding so many more. Sad

Well at least you're repentant. Wink

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-11-2011, 09:18 AM
(13-11-2011 05:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-11-2011 11:48 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Sadly I was involved in deluding so many more. Sad

Well at least you're repentant. Wink

Hehe...thanks for the absolution, GirlyMan! I suddenly feel guilt free!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
14-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I was a part of it, but never really believed it.

I remember singing songs about god and Jesus and wondering what the hell the point was. I felt uncomfortable in church and would always tell my mom that and she would get mad. I can't explain why it never made sense, it just never did.

I only told my grandparents this year that I was atheist and they laughed and said no I wasn't, as if it was ridiculous. When I told them I was serious, they looked like I'd spit in their faces, which sucks because I love them. My grandma now likes to email-forward me jokes that make fun of atheists. Nice.
19-11-2011, 04:04 PM
I grew up Catholic, went to Sunday school, was confirmed. All that before 8th grade, and I remember it being creepy. My mom's cousin was Lutheran, and I would play my trumpet with my dad at his church. That was a much better experience, much less darkness and more lively than the Catholic church. Still a little creepy, though.
When I was a junior in high school, I became a born again Christian. There was a Christian rock band that was very good, and me being a budding musician, believed everything they said. Besides, the rapture was cool, and it was going to happen at any minute. Add to that marijuana, and things couldn't possibly be any more exciting.
Then I went to college, and my first roommate was a Christian. His major was theology, and he had what I think is called a concordance, which allowed him to translate every passage of the bible, word for word. Even though I told him I was Christian and thought his reference book was cool, he was the biggest dick I ever met. He was incredibly mean to me, and would say very hurtful things. I later found out that he just wanted his best friend to be his roommate, so he was trying to get rid of me. Nice. My first semester at college was tough because I was away from home, and the roommate experience along with loneliness pushed me to start my own belief system. It's basically grown from there. Now I enjoy atheist posts such as these, and videos on youtube. I love watching debates between theists and atheists, and those debates continue to support the idea of the lack of evidence (and morality!) of a god, particularly the god of the bible, in my opinion. I get my strength from other atheist's words and ideas. It's nice to know that there are other intelligent non-believers I can talk to and be honest with.

"Religion is the binky of a teen-age humanity."
[+] 2 users Like yosemitesam's post
21-11-2011, 07:44 AM
I voted "Yes"
'Cause when I was a little bit younger, I thought that Islam is all what the world about, I used to go to the mosque, I prayed, I fasted ... etc. But since I got 15 years-old, I started doubting : is islam really that holy?
I started checking what do atheists and non-believers think, they were kinda more logical.
Until I got 17 years old, when I left Islam officially, but until now, I didnt tell my parents cuz they will get shocked certainly.