No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-12-2011, 06:02 AM
RE: Were you once a believer?
(15-12-2011 07:03 PM)lets-us-try Wrote:  Still a christian

You can't tell me this is all by accident.

Check out a scientific webpage about the origin of life,most will admit they don't have a clue how anything was made.

Do you mean life, the universe, or everything?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Check out a scientific webpage about the origin of life,most will admit they don't have a clue how anything was made.

[Image: e240217.gif]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
16-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Agreed...
But also...
realise this is an argument of ignorance.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
16-12-2011, 10:08 AM
(16-12-2011 09:47 AM)The_observer Wrote:  

Agreed...
But also...

Not agreed. There are many clues and hypotheses as to how life originated.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-12-2011, 10:19 AM
(16-12-2011 10:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-12-2011 09:47 AM)The_observer Wrote:  

Agreed...
But also...

Not agreed. There are many clues and hypotheses as to how life originated.

I agree that this is not all by accident. I shall not tell you it is by accident.

This is all by the elegance of Natural Selection. Get a book. Get knowledge. Get freedom.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
17-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Ages ago, I was a very moderate christian. I believed in god, I prayed and, for the longest time, I thought that's just how it was. As a kid, I was hardly, if at all, aware of the idea of atheism. To me it was just 'I was born into and raised in a moderately christian community, in a moderately christian family, so I am a moderate christian by default'. Of course, I now understand that you aren't born with religion at all.
Started subconsciously questioning a lot about religion when I got into high school and was an atheist by the time I went off to college.
[+] 2 users Like ErBoi's post
20-12-2011, 05:03 AM
I was raised in a non-theistic household (though both my parents were raised religious). Growing up I was always told that I could follow whichever path I wished, but I happily chose the way of logic and reason. Many of my friends growing up were Christian, so I was exposed to it, but the idea never sat well with me.

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
[+] 2 users Like kylestyle's post
21-12-2011, 11:15 AM
All of my immediate and extended family are Catholic. I've also been in Catholic schools my entire life, and I live in the middle of the Bible Belt, so I really was never even directly exposed to a world beyond Catholicism, let alone Christianity. I was never a fundamentalist or a creationist (most Catholics aren't) but I did strongly believe in God and I was fed stories about miracles from a young age as well. I prayed, I never missed a Sunday Mass, and worst of all I attended confession even though I hated it. I questioned my beliefs quite often, but as I had always been taught that faith was a good a thing, and I was of course terrified of hell, I always performed incredible feats of mental acrobatics to continue believing.

When I learned that a couple of my friends were atheists, I was at first shocked that they could not believe in what to me was just a fact of life. As I got to know them better, I realized that the only reason I believed what I did was that I was raised that way. Around the same time in my theology class we were learning about the Catechism, and I realized that the majority of it was just pulled out of thin air by some Cardinal 500 years ago and had no basis in the bible, let alone in logic. Once I broke out of the circular reasoning of faith, I was finally able to look objectively at my beliefs and realized they just couldn't stand up to reason.

A year later I'm still dealing with the transition of coming out as an atheist in an almost entirely Catholic community. It's not easy, but I feel way better than I used to when I was locked into a single way of thinking. My parents are still convinced that I'm not really an atheist, it's just a stage I'm going through, apparently to rebel against them or something (they still force me to go to Mass every week). People are usually shocked or confused to find out I don't believe in God. My theology teacher seems convinced that I'm just angry God. It's such a different perspective outside faith it's difficult for me to even relate to Christians anymore even though I was one only a year ago.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
21-12-2011, 02:43 PM
RE: Where you once a believer?
(30-12-2010 08:26 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(30-12-2010 07:01 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Does it count if one believed as a little kid, but just grew out of it?
I was in the same situation and I voted "YES".

The reason why I posted this poll is because I'm asking myself if you would grow out another person if you where never subject to serious believes. I am also wondering if you become more hardened in your atheist view when you are "a convert" (there is something as "the fanaticism of the convert")
The answer is no.
I'm a diehard atheïst.
Maybe I grow up in a religious village, that I see the wrong of religion at a young age?
My parents were atheïst too by the side.
But I have no respect for religion.
Either the don't respect me, so why should I?

Note: To send this message, no trees cut down,
although there are many electrons severely hindered.
All the bits are reused.

Future World

73 Jim .--. . .---- .-. . .- PE1REA
Email, put amsat dot org behind the call
06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
In a way I once was. When I was little, my parents told me about god and I had no reason to question what my parents told me was true. When I was in high school I was effectively a Deist. Only when I got to college did I realize that there was no place for god in my world view.