Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
17-02-2012, 10:06 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Even though I spent 8 years in Sunday School and 18 years of Weekly Mass (including Holy Days, Confession, Stations of the Cross, Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, etc.)...

...I always found it all very hard to believe. Logically the stories of Adam and Eve, Moses, Noah's Ark, etc. just never seemed remotely possible. But to appease my (very religious) mother, I pretended to believe...until I turned 18 and my not-so-religious father told my mother that she shouldn't make me go to church if I didn't want to. And that's when I stopped pretending.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2012, 10:44 PM
I voted "yes" but I wish there was an "in between" or "i don't know" or "kinda" option - a third option is kinda necessary for me. I decided I was an atheist at um... 19 almost 20. XD December 2009. I'm 22 now (my birthday was in January - I turned 22 on the 22nd this year!! That only happens once lol!). However, I did choose not to get confirmed in the Catholic Church at age 14 and kinda knew I was lying when I my asked if I believed in God because that's all that mattered and I said "of course"... I'd been very agnostic-ish, a weak theist unaware atheism was a real option for probably my whole life up until the end of being 19. Tongue I was raised to believe kinda but we lived VERY secular lives... Tongue My mom called my dad evil a million times (my dad is like the best dad ever btw, long story) but never once said it was BECAUSE he wasn't Catholic like she was and my brother & I were raised to be (he was a lapsed/non-practicing/former? agnostic? Jew my whole life)... and I met more and more people from varying types of faiths and kinda knew religion was all ridiculous from pretty early on.

I know I kinda believed because I actually tried praying before - kinda. I would really silently BEG God that dinner would be something I actually liked instead of hated when I walked home from the bus stop after school to my grandmother's house... because I was a very picky eater. I know when I was 7 and my great grandmother died, I went to her funeral and asked my mom and my aunt if all people who died became angels or not, and they couldn't answer me. I really believed something happened after death I think back then.

I'm not sure how much I ever believed but for the longest time I felt like something was WRONG with me for not being able to "just have faith" and really feel the religious experience so many people did. I felt like you had to be religious. And I know for a fact I 100% truly believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. My mom did WAY too good of a job of producing EVIDENCE that they (especially Santa) were real. She used special chocolate from a very special homemade store that I'd never heard of/been to as what the Tooth Fairy/Santa delivered so it looked like it wasn't store bought. She used different handwriting for the presents from Santa, and 100% different wrapping paper. She hid the presents SUPER well. When she told me Santa wasn't real, I remember crying I was so heartbroken - and I remember later figuring out on my own that if Santa wasn't real then the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy probably weren't either. Seriously. I believed with all of my heart lmao.
18-02-2012, 06:27 AM
I was once a devout anti-evolution, anti-science and and anti-logic type believer, I spent most of my time bantering on about the bacterial Flagellum and Lee Strobels bullshit about Jesus being real etc. But one day, I saw a video by the Amazingly talented Seth The Thinking Atheist about noah's ark... My life changed. I started asking questions nobody could answer, I started getting frustrated, angry even. I cried out to God over and over again, waiting, listening for a reply but to no avail
(no shit sherlock). I had an atheist friend at the time, he constantly challenged me to provide evidence of Gods existance. I obviously could not. And here we come, to the finale, the De-conversion:

I had slept over at my atheist friends house and the next morning was sunday, his family were christian so naturally, we had to attend church. We sat in the peau and listened to the Evangelical Idiot up front rant about Jesus and how he MUST be followed or...you know...HELL. I saw him giggle a few times and I - in my new found, still theist but libral approach, Scepticism - giggled along side him. The cherry on the sorbet was when the pastor started to pray in tounges, she started rambling in gibberish and then the midget co-paster started too, it was just a mess. The funny thing was they're tounges sounded exactly alike. Then, the most fucking epic thing to ever happen to me at church began to happen.
The Pastor stopped wailing and started to pray, her words were made almost valid with the distortion of the guiter chords in the background that drew the congregation to the front of the stage, crying and pleading for jesus to save them. By the end of the prayer it was just me and my friend left in the seats. Everyone else had either fallen to the floor or run up to the front. Then the pastor started to pray against the Devil.
"Satan, we command you, leave these people alone, I cast you out of the world and break the bond of your power over it! In the name of Jesus!!!"
My atheist leans over to me, we are the only sane people in the congregation, he whispers in my ear the line that saved me from intellectual suicide:
"Dude, she breaks his power over the world every week."
The lights in my brain turned on, and my eyes widened. My mind was clear and, best of all... I WAS AN ATHEIST FROM THEN ON!!!
[+] 3 users Like TheSexyAtheist's post
18-02-2012, 07:58 PM
(18-02-2012 06:27 AM)TheSexyAtheist Wrote:  The lights in my brain turned on, and my eyes widened. My mind was clear and, best of all... I WAS AN ATHEIST FROM THEN ON!!!

It's a true miracle. Angel

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
20-02-2012, 04:15 PM
I was going to catholic school, prayers before every class, confession on Wednesdays, and once a week an afternoon group session being prepped to become a nun.

Then I stumbled across the notion that babies who die before being baptized would spend their after life in Limbo, for ever and ever.

That seemed so unreasonable to me that I started to question everything.

And the more I thought about everything, the more BS I saw.

So, at the age of 10, I became an atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-02-2012, 07:07 PM
(20-02-2012 04:15 PM)Dom Wrote:  I was going to catholic school, prayers before every class, confession on Wednesdays, and once a week an afternoon group session being prepped to become a nun.

Then I stumbled across the notion that babies who die before being baptized would spend their after life in Limbo, for ever and ever.

That seemed so unreasonable to me that I started to question everything.

And the more I thought about everything, the more BS I saw.

So, at the age of 10, I became an atheist.

I remember once telling my Catholic school teacher I wanted to be a priest when I was in first or second grade. Bet they'd be surprised to see how that's turning out so far. Angel
21-02-2012, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2012 07:38 AM by jknightx.)
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

dude, I was devoute! And I was so sure of my faith that I desided to proove to everyone who doubted(and to myself ) that the bible was true ! Well we all see how that went, After really finding that no way can a lot of the stuff in the bible be true, I then rationalized it must be metaphoric,and the bible was a lesson plan, but a person I knew who once was a theogy major and was studying at one point to be a priest read me the parts of the bible people gloss over(myself included,like Ihad blinders to anything I did not want to see ,I realised how cuel and rediculous a lot of stuff writen in the bible was. I spent years going between agnostic,and atheist, and just a year ago converted to full atheist.
The funny thing is it took me years to finally completely open my eyes about my beliefs, but my 9 year old daughter just recently told me that she hasn't believed in sata claus since she was 7 (she said she just me and my ex wife believe that she beleived in santa to get alot more presents) She goes to sunday school and church every week, so I ask her does she believe in god,she look at me with this really frump up look,and said"daddy,you told me there is no such thing as real monsters except for people,and magic is not real,but god seems like he uses magic"I laughed and told her she is so much smarter than me.From that point on that has been my main point topeople who believe in god,god= magic,and magic is not real.(my 9 year old daughter is non a closet atheist)
(03-01-2011 11:13 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(02-01-2011 08:54 PM)No J. Wrote:  I read a post on another forum a while back about an atheist who lived in a bible belt and was involved in local politics. We wasn't eager to come out either. His reason was two-fold. 1. Coming out would get himself ostracized, and 2. by posing as a theist he could do a lot to influence theists and reduce and prevent some of the damage that would be created by them.

He could also lose his job if he holds any political office. Here in Texas, it's a requirement that you "acknowledge a higher being" or some BS like that just to hold public office. I could look up a citation but I feel lazy. I've heard stories about it on the radio.
Here:

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Law..._agnostics

Good food for thought in general. Check your state. Wink
Well here at my work I finally told all my preachy friends that its falling on deaf ears because Iam an atheist(stunned them because Iam half latin so they assumed I was a devout catholic) NOW I REALLY GET PREACHED TOO! lol.But after they finish preaching I start to debunk thier bible and point out some facts ,they get angry,loud and just speak over me lol. I kind of been ostrizied here, the only conversation i get is now is a short sermon and a looks of dusgust lol.

Give a man a fish ,you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish ,you feed him for a life time,give a man religion,he will die praying for a fish
[+] 3 users Like jknightx's post
24-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Yup I was one of them. Went to church every Sunday and all of that. But like a lot of people I decided to read the bible and that was that. Lol.
24-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Quote:Here:

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Law..._agnostics

Good food for thought in general. Check your state. Wink

I had no idea! Incredible.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-02-2012, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2012 11:54 AM by Dillon.)
I was raised in a catholic household, so there was a time where I just ate up whatever I was told. Nothing against my parents, of course. I love them to death and I had a privileged childhood, I just don't really like the idea of indoctrination. By second grade I was questioning and pretty much agnostic. I was never religious anyway, we went to church once in a blue moon. I pretended to be Christian for a little while longer, but once the new atheist movement really kicked off, or at least I started noticing it, I felt a little more secure in my beliefs.