Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
19-03-2012, 12:58 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Hello, I'm new also. I was born a christian but am a "in the closet" atheist, still don't know how to break the news because all my family is devout Christians.

If your wondering why I chose this username it started on the online game Runescape in an argument with some theists preaching a "service session" where I made a joke about the adam and eve story being aliens that they couldn't disprove. And also I love how it is a contradiction.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi all, I am new here. Just two days ago I subscribed to the Thinking Atheist Podcast and the topics are just amazing. I live in Indonesia and was a muslim for forty years (statistics say I'm still one, but it doesn't matter). I used to lead prayers and whatnot in my campus and gradually grew out of it. I have had so many questions and the answer I received just stock answers ("don't question") that just got more and more stale with time.

I stopped praying, nothing happened. I stopped trying to read the quran (I sucked at Arabic and I am glad I was), nothing happened. I basically dropped all religious rituals from my life and obviously nothing happened. No lightning strikes, no wrath of allah. I simply tell people that I am a "bad and lazy muslim, don't follow me, I am going to hell". But the point is, I simply stopped believing. The teachings grew more and more ridiculous to me, the screaming, frothing at the mouth ulamas are getting more and more irritating. The funny thing is, almost everything is declared "haram" and yet everybody does it. I just went one step further: I declared religion is "haram" to me.

I started reading Dawkins' "God Delusion" and I couldn't get enough after that. I devoured Hitchens', Hawking's, Harris' books, electronic and printed, doesn't matter. I downloaded videos of Hitchens' debates and absolutely admire his stance and courage. I am also a big fan of Matt Dillahunty and Godless Bitches ("Is truth important to you?".

I am still in the closet. Being an atheist in Indonesia, the threat is not only verbal abuse or being ostracized. It's life-threatening and the law will never be on your side (it is geared to appease the majority). I live in a country where abusing religion is punishable to five years imprisonment. You don't believe me, go google about "Alexander Aan" and you'll know. So for now I stay quiet in my closet.

Thanks for having me here. I just want to know how it feels like being in the midst of like minded people.
[+] 3 users Like Kaji's post
26-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Ex JW here. I was lucky though. My mom was only half hearted about it and my dad less than that. I thInk he was raised baptist. I remember drawing with crayons in the KH as a kid. Then we stopped going. At 14 i stupidly said 'yes' when witnesses came knocking. My sister too. We studied for several years. Luckily, I smelt the fumes; perfume, car fumes. My girlfriend wanted to stop seeing me because if my preaching. I chose her over god, and haven't regretted it for a second. Love is more powerful than even a god! Unfortunately, my sister is still trapped in the mindset.

Carpe Diem
[+] 3 users Like Noonespecial's post
26-03-2012, 08:49 PM
(26-03-2012 07:51 PM)Noonespecial Wrote:  At 14 i stupidly said 'yes' when witnesses came knocking. My sister too. We studied for several years.
Sounds like me with the LDS when I was 17 yo. But it only took me 3 weeks of interaction before I asked them "So, how does this whole polygamy/polyamory thing work?" and they answered "We don't do that anymore." I was like "What the fuck?!? That's the only thing you had going for you. Get the fuck out of my house."

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-03-2012, 06:27 PM
I don't know if this qualifies me as a believer. But I used to believe without accepting. When a positive event occured I would thank God all the time. Then I would put on the news and would see all the horrible acts commited by and to mankind and I would feel guilty that God "fixed" my petty issues, yet would let others suffer.
30-03-2012, 06:10 PM
I used to be one of the worst of the worst. I was actually baptized a Jehovah's Witness. OH DEAR! I know. Though I live the philosophy, as in treating people I don't believe that some day I'll end up in heaven. Though winning that 1/2 Billion dollar Lotto would give me a good look at it for a very long time. lol

Yea, I had to run away from home, after I'd had enough of my mom trying to make me live in this bubble of B.S. What was the final straw is that we lived on a farm in Kansas, and no. No tornado came roaring through and we met some girl and her dog. Anyway, I was a growing boy of 16 and these people had dropped a bunch of trash on our driveway back to the house. We had a 1/4 mile drive back from the main road, and I being this goody, good person was picking the bags up to take them to the trash and one of them burst open.

Good grief, what popped out, but a bunch of Playboys. it reminded me of that scene in Animal House. THANKS GOD!

I had never seen a women nude before and knowing these were sinful, I quickly gathered them up and took them into a shed that set close to the drive. For medisonal purposes only. Remember, I pure at heart.

Well anyway, my mom saw me go in there and quitely came up behind me as I had them spread out on a table being medisonal as possible, she wacked me across my back with a broom. Well, I snapped at the surprize, whelled around, snatched the broom and turned it into toothpicks against the wall. I had had enough and took off from there.

I've been disfellowshiped from them for nearly 40 years and there has never been a day when I don't look back remorsfully and ask fate, Why the flip didn't I find those Playboys years before. lol
[+] 2 users Like justmetoo's post
30-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Hey! It's about time we had some eX J-Dubs around here to spice things up a bit!

Did you figure out there were more than a 144,000 JWs before you so you didn't stand a chance at heaven? Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
30-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Quote:Hey! It's about time we had some eX J-Dubs around here to spice things up a bit!

Did you figure out there were more than a 144,000 JWs before you so you didn't stand a chance at heaven? Big Grin
The
way I figure it. If someone needs to be rewarded for being good to others, they really don't deserve the term
righteous. To me the prefix of righteous is right and that term doesn't
apply to those who have to be bribed. I believe in human nature and
those around me and that's good enough for me.

Why not act right
and work with everybody else, which included every color, creed,
nation, no matter who you want to sleep with, to make the World a
paradise and let all the Theists have their heaven. The world's a better
place without them, to begin with.
31-03-2012, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 08:05 AM by Grassy Knoll.)
"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That's my religion." —Abraham Lincoln

I was born and raised in the Mormon church. That was the best thing to be when the JW's came knocking at the door! I guess it was like telling them that I was already a member of a cult and they'd quickly realize that working on me would have extra hurdles so they always gave quick exit. Now I tell the Mormons I'm an atheist with the same effect. But I still tell the JW's I'm a Mormon... gets them every time Rolleyes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-03-2012, 12:43 PM
(19-03-2012 12:58 PM)Angelology Wrote:  Hello, I'm new also. I was born a christian but am a "in the closet" atheist, still don't know how to break the news because all my family is devout Christians.

If your wondering why I chose this username it started on the online game Runescape in an argument with some theists preaching a "service session" where I made a joke about the adam and eve story being aliens that they couldn't disprove. And also I love how it is a contradiction.
Sorry to be picky but actually, you were born an atheist.
Everyone is.