Poll: Were you once religious?
Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
16-04-2012, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 08:44 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Were you once a believer?
(16-04-2012 07:17 PM)WOLF Wrote:  I am still a believer, it's just that most of my life I believed in God but now I believe in myself Smile

I'm still working on that one, but I'm gonna keep pretending like I do while keeping the background thread active. Wink

Don't believe so much in yourself WOLF that you start to take yourself so seriously that you start believing in your own shit so much that you feel the need to proselytize your new religion. ... I mean, I'm just sayin' I wouldn't.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 08:49 PM
(16-04-2012 08:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 07:17 PM)WOLF Wrote:  I am still a believer, it's just that most of my life I believed in God but now I believe in myself Smile

I'm still working on that one, but I'm gonna keep pretending like I do while keeping the background thread active. Wink

Don't believe so much in yourself WOLF that you start to take yourself so seriously that you start believing in your own shit so much that you feel the need to proselytize your new religion. ... I mean, I'm just sayin' I wouldn't.
I've been looking for something to believe in. Perhaps I'll start believing in Wolf.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-04-2012, 09:05 PM
(16-04-2012 08:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm still working on that one, but I'm gonna keep pretending like I do while keeping the background thread active. Wink

I've been looking for something to believe in. Perhaps I'll start believing in Wolf.

Nah, you're still just getting comfortable with not feeling a need to believe, Preach. Wink ... Guess a Belief Junkie is possible, though. Consider ... Don't be a Belief Junkie, Hellbound.

#sigh
16-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Oh, I've got something for you to believe in right here, Girly.
Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
17-04-2012, 12:30 AM
(16-04-2012 09:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, I've got something for you to believe in right here, Girly.
Big Grin
TMI Preacher man. T the fuck MI.
17-04-2012, 12:37 PM
I voted "yes" on this poll, but it was hard to decide. I grew up going to church until I was a young teenager and my mother gave me the choice. Once I could decide for myself I never went back. I was never baptized while I attended church, despite all the peer pressure. But I also held on to the belief that there must be something out there, until I was about 24. After continuing my education and attending college, it was easy to let go of the last shreds of belief in the supernatural.
18-04-2012, 01:50 PM
I struggled with this a bit because looking back on my "belief" I can't honestly say that I was a believer and not one of those kids that just followed along because they were supposed to and didn't know what else to do. *shrugs*
20-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes I was a believer but not an active one. God wasn't on my mind much as a believer but I still had that notion that there was something out there. In the beginning of this school year I began to actually start attending a religious group at my school and got more into religion but somewhere in the middle of the school year I started doubting. And here I am now, a skeptic. I just see it as ironic that once I really started becoming interested and active in religion, I begin to have doubts :/

"Here's the thing about rights. They're not supposed to be voted on. That's why they call them rights." -Rachel Maddow
21-04-2012, 05:10 AM
(18-04-2012 01:50 PM)BKNexus Wrote:  I struggled with this a bit because looking back on my "belief" I can't honestly say that I was a believer and not one of those kids that just followed along because they were supposed to and didn't know what else to do. *shrugs*

I actually fell away and came back around mission age. My sister missioned in Finland and brother in Lithuania and are still strong in the church. I believed until my first temple visit. It just didn't feel right so I kept going trying to get passed it but never really did. Read the BOM cover to cover three times until it was easier to grasp it in it's entirety. I understand it now as the rambling sermons of a fictional cast. I could preach simular sermons about hobbits and lord of the rings. Took me about 10 years to be totally free from it. I function so much better without it.

(20-04-2012 11:02 PM)J5Panda90 Wrote:  Yes I was a believer but not an active one. God wasn't on my mind much as a believer but I still had that notion that there was something out there. In the beginning of this school year I began to actually start attending a religious group at my school and got more into religion but somewhere in the middle of the school year I started doubting. And here I am now, a skeptic. I just see it as ironic that once I really started becoming interested and active in religion, I begin to have doubts :/

It makes perfect sense that when you examined religion more closely you realized the fallacies in it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Yes, i actually have a long history of different beliefs.

I was born to pretty much open family. Both parents are Lutheran but
only my mother believes. My father is that kind of Da Vinci code
conspiracy theoretic and he hate organised religion.

I didn't really care about religion until i was 13 but I watched more documentaries than cartoons, so i knew about evolution and how dinosaurs and genesis just do fit together.
In age of 13 I was send to Lutheran Confirmation. I went to youth and that pretty much made me christian, but i accepted evolution and had kind of Anabaptistic/Universalistic beliefs. I also accepted fat that Bible have been translated 100 times, its from different authors from different ages etc. so i knew there is some amount of bullshit in there.

But i had 2 breaking points when i was 14, few months before Confirmation.
The first was different religion debate in "Friday School". Pastor asked us about what other religion we knew. Most of guys knew only "Jews, some terrorists called Muslims, some guys in orange pyjamas called Buddhists and cult of Jehovas witness'". I knew like 30 different religions back then and most of people there just looked at me with surprised eyes. I just though:"man, seems like nobody gave and option to these people..."
Second was Internation Hare Krishna day. We just went to park to play Frisbee and they kind of made fun of them.
"DAFUQ? some of you believe that world was made in 6 days and you make fun of Hare Krishna guys just because they sing and dress differently"
So after finishing confirmation i broke contacts with youth, started reading and it slowly went from Christianity to universalism to agnosticism to atheism to anti-theism.

So yeah. Looks like you are now stuck with me on this forum.

"Debating with creationist is like playing chess with pidgeon. It doesn't matter how good you are, pidgeon will knock over all of pieces, shit on chessboard and strut around like it won"
-Unknown
[+] 1 user Likes Mishpul's post