Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
23-04-2012, 03:40 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I was Christian once. And then I did an awful thing. I read the Bible from cover to cover in my 18th year. And thought about it for a long time -- nearly a millisecond -- and discovered right at ".... Amen!" that I was no longer. I have taken two score and ten trips around the Sun since then, and have found no evidence for any god or gods bar Nature whose revelation is truly Universal. A big Universe it is, too. We are so tiny, almost invisible in the Grand Scheme of Things.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old George's post
23-04-2012, 07:08 PM
(16-04-2012 08:49 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm still working on that one, but I'm gonna keep pretending like I do while keeping the background thread active. Wink

Don't believe so much in yourself WOLF that you start to take yourself so seriously that you start believing in your own shit so much that you feel the need to proselytize your new religion. ... I mean, I'm just sayin' I wouldn't.
I've been looking for something to believe in. Perhaps I'll start believing in Wolf.
Wow, what are you? Some kind of belief slut? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I was once a believer. I was raised Catholic, I began to question some of the rules. But mostly stopped going because I hated getting up, sitting through a two hour sermon, and it was killer on the knees and back. I explored other religions through some of their bibles, or a couple of the Dalai Lama's books.

I really think my belief started to break down when I began to feel such hatred towards Yahweh for one reason or another. I kept searching and searching for belief systems, but couldn't find any.
My brother introduced me to Thunderf00t's youtube channel. And after a long time of immersing myself in other channels, I started to watch some of Seth's videos, then listening to his podcasts.
I'm still pretty new to the concept of being an atheist, thankfully I have a brother who is one too, and he's always been willing to answer questions that I've had about most anything

Through the realization that, in truth I don't really believe in God. I've felt a certain calm and an even greater wonder for the world. I find that I'm happier without that belief
24-05-2012, 05:56 AM
I was raised in an apathetic household (Dad an atheist, Mom didn't care, but she has since converted to Christianity and is very devout now), but I went to Church with an aunt. I never really believed anything though, was just going through the motions. In my later 20's, I went through a pretty dark period, and was just looking for something to fill a void. Through peer pressure, and the belief that something was wrong with me because I COULDN'T believe, I started going to church. I actually ended up going to Mormon churches, and converted as an adult to Mormonism. I taught Sunday school, went to sacrament every Sunday, and through it all, no matter how much I wanted to believe, I just kept thinking that this was fucking stupid. After 7-8 years, I left the Mormon church, started attending non-denominational and Baptist churches. It was easier to compartmentalize the bullshit when they don't delve too deeply into the actual bible... I've been married for almost 8 years to a Southern Baptist girl. She is typical for Christians, says she is Christian, acts like a Heathen, treats other people like inferiors, and has never once in her life ever read the Bible, only believes because she was told to believe. Several months ago, I started questioning what I was trying to believe, began reading Hitchens, Dawkins, watching Gervais on Youtube, all that led me to the answers I've been looking for my entire life. The weirdest thing for me, is that while I was heavily involved with church, I never once wanted to tell people about what I believed.. Now that I don't believe, (and more importantly, know WHY I don't believe) I want to share that with everyone.. Except the wife. She saw me watching an atheist video, and made the comment that she couldn't be married to an atheist.. I have to let her know, sometime soon, because I feel like a bigger hypocrite now, then I did when I was lying about my belief.. Gonna be an interesting conversation, lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Spamspam's post
24-05-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm almost 50 now and was brought up in a pentecostal church and at age 23 moved over to the Baptist side to appease my wife. So all my life I have been a devout Christian, until just a few months ago.

The thing that finally broke my Christian belief was prayer.. I was always taught (and believed) that god would miraculously change things (especially bad things), if we just prayed or prayed hard enough. I thoroughly believed this. Then last year, I had something tragic happen in my life and instead of doing things to resolve the problem, I wasted allot of time on my knees and asking others to pray for the situation. We'll not a damn thing changed.

Then I notice many of my facebook friends posting situations like illness, financial, marriage, etc, asking their fb friends to remember them in prayer. Then came a long list of, "praying now, done, will pray, in my thoughts and prayers." All these people saying they would pray, but to be honest, they would probably not do muchmore than that to help the situation.

About a month ago, a friend of mines daughter was seriously injured in a ATV accident.. and of course it ended up on facebook... Then came line after of line of prayers, some saying that "she is in our prayers, she will come out of this, etc." All of them were so sure that god was going to help this young girl. THEN SHE DIED.... Well that news was also on facebook, but the comments then changed to "she is a better place", "you and your family are in our prayers." I looked over these comments and thought to myself, what a crock of shit. Effin prayer doesn't do a damn thing, because there is no god listening.

Shortly afterwords, I began searching information on Agnostics and Atheist.. Then came Youtube videos on the subject, then podcast, and now Richard Dawkins books. I had doubts before, but in this short time, the bondage of religion was broken.. Now I'm reading books about real things, instead of bullshit myths and mind controlling stories of the bible...

I'm free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[+] 1 user Likes Sasquatch's post
28-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I said "yes," but it's more of a "technically." I grew-up in the church, and believed because I was told I should. It wasn't until I got older that I realized I needed to make my own choice. And the more I thought about the bible, the less sense it made. I'd ask questions, but never got the answers I was looking for. Finally, I decided that religion, while not a bad thing, simply wasn't for me.

[Image: nat416.gif]
[+] 2 users Like LittleMissFourEyes's post
03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I was raised Catholic and conditioned to believe in god. At a young age, I got tired of standing, sitting, kneeling, and throwing spare change in a collection basket. Religion is not for me. Language created the idea of a god or gods. Life is good without god.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt24's post
09-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I used to be one of the most religious muslims amongst my friends. I found myself on the net, advocating Islam all day long, and simply abhorred the notion of atheism. Life seemed to be absolutely pointless without a 'God'. Surprisingly, life seems so more meaningful today without a God, and I am glad that I've changed so much.
[+] 1 user Likes Arman's post
09-06-2012, 05:49 AM
(09-06-2012 03:47 AM)Arman Wrote:  I used to be one of the most religious muslims amongst my friends. I found myself on the net, advocating Islam all day long, and simply abhorred the notion of atheism. Life seemed to be absolutely pointless without a 'God'. Surprisingly, life seems so more meaningful today without a God, and I am glad that I've changed so much.
Wow that's pretty hectic. How did you lose your faith? Was it through talking to people on the internet or... well you said you like physics, did you study it? Is that what made you rethink? Welcome to the forum Smile
09-06-2012, 08:39 AM
(09-06-2012 05:49 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(09-06-2012 03:47 AM)Arman Wrote:  I used to be one of the most religious muslims amongst my friends. I found myself on the net, advocating Islam all day long, and simply abhorred the notion of atheism. Life seemed to be absolutely pointless without a 'God'. Surprisingly, life seems so more meaningful today without a God, and I am glad that I've changed so much.
Wow that's pretty hectic. How did you lose your faith? Was it through talking to people on the internet or... well you said you like physics, did you study it? Is that what made you rethink? Welcome to the forum Smile
It was pretty much due to both the reasons you mentioned and several others along with it. That's a long story, I suppose.

I was really enchanted by these alleged 'scientific miracles' in the Qur'an when I first got to know about them. Alongside I was attracted to popular science, and my imaginative mind would often try to relate cutting-edge physics with Qur'anic verses with the vaguest of meanings. Tongue As I was science-oriented, and also due to the fact that I was gradually being exposed to the flaws in the arguments of Zakir Naik and Harun Yahya, I started condemning Creationism, and tried to uphold a sort of Guided Evolution(or some aspects of Intelligent Design). It instantaneously occurred to me that these things only make sense if we consider the Qur'an to be semi-allegorical. Meanwhile, I got familiar with the problem of Fine-tuning, the first cause argument, Pascal's Wager, Argument from Design, Argument from morality, etc and of course, let's not forget the God-of-the-gaps Argument Drooling. That's an essential equipment for theists. Armed with the Qur'anic argument for God's existence and other philosophical arguments, I made the case for a semi-allegorical Qur'an. I used to challenge people around to somehow prove my arguments wrong, and this was perhaps the root cause of my disbelief later on. For the first time, I started to know about the other side of the argument as well. For example, the idea that the first cause argument was to be demolished by spontaneous Quantum Fluctuations, shook my important foundation laid by God-of-the-gaps argument. Step-by-step I realized the fallacy of this argument from incredulity, Pascal's Wager, Argument From Morality, Ontological and Teleological Arguments for God, and a few others. As I was becoming more self-conscious and skeptical, I rejected all anecdotal evidence, pareidolia and similar garbage. Rather, arguments against God made more sense to me. One thing that must be mentioned here is that I wasn't familiar with all these terms. I simply understood the concepts, and thought up many of these things in my mind on my own. The empirical arguments against God, the paradox in his attributes, problem of hell, argument from free will and others caused quite a stir inside me. As I got to know more about the universe, the apparent 'illusion' of design, the Qur'an seemed quite a flimsy evidence for God's existence. At this point, I became all lost in my thoughts. Given how religious I were back then, these long-held beliefs I had, all the love I had for God(surprisingly, I just wanted God after death, not heaven) - you can barely imagine the storm inside my mind that was about to blow away the idea of a God. But I did not stop there. I gradually started reading books advocating atheism (against my will), realized that almost all of the arguments that I made in my mind as a case against God, were already thought up by people over the centuries. That was a sort of support for my half-dead mind - I became aware that I was not the only 'fool' in the world lol Smile. Being good for only the fear of eternal damnation, is not humanity at all. I was able to stand back again, but this time, as a skeptic! If I ever find a valid reason to believe in God again, that would surely be sort of a deistic one, not the ones we are accustomed to, the one that tortures its imperfect creation infinitely long for finite mistakes in finite time. the ones that make the least sense. This is one life I have, and I want to savour ever bits of it - in the depths of knowledge, not ignorance...
[+] 1 user Likes Arman's post