Poll: Were you once religious?
Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
28-09-2012, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 28-09-2012 11:36 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Were you once a believer?
(28-09-2012 10:17 AM)Chase Wrote:  Now I'm finally balanced. I know both Descartes, Aquinas, and Hegal, as well as Marx, Nietzsche, evolution (university level), and the big bang and M theory (only in laymen terms), and I'm very content with myself for having escaped a faith crisis where others have not.

Bravo, brother, but don't get so content you fall into complacency and end up resting on your laurels. Russell, Sartre, Camus, Kierkegaard, Wittgenstein and many others await your consideration. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-09-2012, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2012 06:19 AM by Tor_Hershman.)
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

I began doubting god, when I was five, after my father died
and the prevailing "Adult" explanation was
"[The omnipotent lord] god needed your dad in heaven
[which is saying that the all-powerful being NEEDED
my father more than wee Tor]" - that just
DID NOT add-up - forty years later, I found there to be
no MEANINGFUL (a.k.a. completely worthless) god/devil.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor
[Image: album_1229797628.png]
09-10-2012, 04:14 AM
Wink RE: Were you once a believer?
Yes, I was a mormon cringe, for 26 years. I say 26 years but in all honesty I should have known much earlier that i wasn't cut out for it. not volunteering for talks, not bearing my testimony on Testimony Sunday, sleeping through Sunday School for sustained lengths of time the signs were all there.
[+] 1 user Likes HealingApostate's post
14-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes I was. I was raised in the church like most of the kids I went to elementary middle high school and college with. I went to church camp and participated in youth group and other activities. I even met the woman Im going to be spending the rest of my life with at church.

So why leave right? Well I came to a point in my life where I had too many questions and not enough answers. And to be quite honest, I got tried of going and listening to all the bullshit about how much money they needed this year. So i'd say from the age of 18-25 I totally distanced myself from the whole aspect of "church". Around the age of 27 I rediscovered science and reason, and found the thinking atheist podcast.

Did I ever really believe? Yes I did. Was it a kinda blind faith? Yes I think so. I have started thinking and life has been great ever sense. Its nice to not feel the pressure from some "old man in the sky" looking down and watching every move I make and expecting me to live on his terms and not my own. Life is good and free.
[+] 2 users Like Misfitman5's post
17-10-2012, 05:09 AM
As far as I can read, there seems to be no ex-Muslim here.

Well, here comes one.

I was raised in a very traditional, rural, Muslim family. During my childhood, I was actually trained to be a 'hafiz' (someone who can memorise the whole Koran). Needless to say, memorise, no critical discussion. I began questioning my religion ever since, actually. But you don't have much chance surviving a very patriarchal, conservative society I used to belong to if you are 'different'. (This goes also for any kind of diversity, including sexuality, but that's another story).

When I was 16, I went to college. It was a very deliberating moment since I could finally take a distance from my folk. Majoring chemistry, I discover a whole new vision of the world, but not yet deity. Gradually, and painstakingly, I became less and less inclined towards Islam (and religion in general). But I still had live a double life, in an attempt to conform to the demand of my family and my society. Only when I had an opportunity to study in Europe 3 years ago did I become completely atheist.

I came out to my family this summer, and they still find it immensely hard to deal with. I try to keep my contact with them, because I still care for them. And they said they love me.
[+] 3 users Like kyrio's post
18-10-2012, 03:27 AM
I once was a christian till about 14 and I started asking questions and I was told to just have faith and read the bible which as a very logical person didn't sit so well with me. I wanted to know the questions they didn't want me to ask. I have to say the thing that finally made me realize something was wrong was when I read the bible and saw these verses

Quote: Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."
Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

when I asked about it and the meaning of it I was simply told to go back to my study's. Then I told my parents when I was 15 I wasn't going to church but they dragged me along anyways so I would simply ask more questions till they finally agreed to let me sit in car but I was still to come to the church as if being there was spouses to make me believe in it. finally after about half year they gave up.
22-10-2012, 01:39 PM
No, not really.

When I was a little kid I believed that there was some kind of higher power. (I was like 5 years old, so this was my own way of explaining things.) But as I grew up, it disappeared. (I think you can see it like Santa, when you grow up it just seems stupid to think that something like that could be real.)

I grow up in an atheist/agnostic family and my parents give me the freedom to belief in whatever I want. I've learned a lot about different types of religion on my school, but I've also learned about evolution during biology. When I had/have any questions about these subjects, I went/will go to my parents and they would/will give me a straight answer. Some people in my environment are religious, some are atheists or agnostic. But the most people around here just don't care about religion at all. So religion never really influenced me.

Because my parents told me to think for myself, I grew up as an atheist. After all that I've learned so far, a god just seems illogical to me.

"If a thousand old beliefs were ruined in our march to truth we must still march on." - Stopford Brooke
03-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Yes...
When I have tried to get closer to the religion (Judaism), I have understand how f**ked up it is.
14-11-2012, 09:49 PM
I once was a believer... I believed in MANY things, but realized it was all an illusion.
16-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I was once a believer. I would say that it's only been 8-months to a year since I began thinking I was an atheist though.
If I dig a little deeper into my past, I would say I haven't been a full believer since my early teens. The whole "why would I pray if god already knows what's going to happen?" question was the first. I guess that's confirmed when I consider that I dabbled in a lot of the "world's pleasures" in the past - movies, underage drinking etc. And even though the people in my community would condemn those things, I still took part. I hid it not because I was afraid of hell fire, but rather because I didn't want to get into trouble from my authority figures at the time. Actual consequences in the afterlife haven't seemed realistic for a long long time.