Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
03-01-2011, 11:13 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
(02-01-2011 08:54 PM)No J. Wrote:  I read a post on another forum a while back about an atheist who lived in a bible belt and was involved in local politics. We wasn't eager to come out either. His reason was two-fold. 1. Coming out would get himself ostracized, and 2. by posing as a theist he could do a lot to influence theists and reduce and prevent some of the damage that would be created by them.

He could also lose his job if he holds any political office. Here in Texas, it's a requirement that you "acknowledge a higher being" or some BS like that just to hold public office. I could look up a citation but I feel lazy. I've heard stories about it on the radio.
Here:

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Law..._agnostics

Good food for thought in general. Check your state. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm so glad I don't live in one of those biggoted states, that is still extremely depressing though. Anti-progressivism at it's worst.
04-01-2011, 10:10 PM
(04-01-2011 01:15 AM)TheKetola Wrote:  I'm so glad I don't live in one of those biggoted states, that is still extremely depressing though. Anti-progressivism at it's worst.

I have learned much since moving into the Bible belt.

I think I could have done just fine with not knowing. :/

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
04-01-2011, 11:04 PM
But if you didn't know, you wouldn't understand why things need to change, and why things haven't, or at least you wouldn't understand as well as you probably do now. Experience is a good teacher, usually a bitch though.
05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
(04-01-2011 11:04 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  Experience is a good teacher, usually a bitch though.
*background-soundtrack: Hard knocks - Joe Cocker*

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-01-2011, 01:30 AM
(03-01-2011 11:13 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  He could also lose his job if he holds any political office.

Yes, I missed putting that detail in. That was part of his story.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
05-01-2011, 08:06 PM
I converted to atheism. As a child I prayed twice a day, read the bible weekly (both a children's and adult version) went to church and generally went along with the RC jazz. When I told my father I was an atheist he asked me "Why can't you just be an agnostic?" I was definitely a hostile atheist for about a decade, but as I settled into my early 20's I began re-examining my own beliefs and ideas and decided that fighting fire with fire was not getting me anywhere. It also helped that I began dating a semi-hippie gal with the love everyone attitude. By no means do I want to take peoples religious beliefs away from them. I just want to live in a world where children are taught to think for themselves instead of indoctrinated from birth, and a country where freedom of religion means just that, because of late it seems to be getting more hostile towards us non-christian types. The way I see it, we can all learn understanding and cooperation, some people just need a little more coaxing.
[+] 1 user Likes cfhmagnet's post
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
(04-01-2011 11:04 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  But if you didn't know, you wouldn't understand why things need to change, and why things haven't, or at least you wouldn't understand as well as you probably do now. Experience is a good teacher, usually a bitch though.

I can't disagree with that. It's mostly the hatefulness of people that I wish I hadn't experienced. It amazes me how horrible people can be. In the name of God, no less.

06-01-2011, 10:29 AM
(05-01-2011 09:50 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  It amazes me how horrible people can be. In the name of God, no less.

If we actually take into account the God of the Old Testament it shouldn't be such a big surprise.That God is horrible by most human standards , encouraging slavery , murder and genocide.
07-01-2011, 01:17 AM
(05-01-2011 08:06 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  By no means do I want to take peoples religious beliefs away from them. I just want to live in a world where children are taught to think for themselves instead of indoctrinated from birth

These two sentences, in my experience, are incompatable with each other. As long as there is religion, there is child indoctranation.

I used to think that religion was on the wane and people where accepting reality more, but I got a wake-up call that alerted me to the dangers that religion is posing to our society. I feel that most religions will always be vying for power and control and when they get it, there will be hell to pay, literally.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer trekker4ever 4 285 30-08-2013 06:56 AM
Last Post: SpaceMonkey
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 1,025 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  INTRO - Post believer, former Southern Baptist Roger Williams 2 435 12-08-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan