Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-10-2013, 09:39 AM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Definitely yes. I was even planning to go to church frequently and confess my sins Big Grin good thing that it didn't happen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2013, 03:45 AM
Oh yes. Most definitely! Over 30 years as a believer, youth group leader, home group leader and so on. Now it's a life free from such things, praise ...um...
30-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I was a believer, but I couldn't stand the people around me constantly judging everyone. And the whole thing never made sense to me, one omnipotent being creating and controlling everything. Come on!

The icing on the cake for me was when the last church I attended was taking a vote as to whether to allow a LGBT group to meet in one of it's spare classrooms one night a week. Everyone is opposed to the idea until I ask, "Aren't we supposed to hate the sin, but love the sinner? What if this is a test for us to prove we are capable of loving those who are not like us?"

I was already an atheist at this point, I just found it really odd that it was me a non-believer using the bible to help out this group. Like I said, this was the icing on the cake, it had been building for years now. It's good to be free!

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
31-10-2013, 11:08 AM
I was indoctrinated into catholic superstition at an early age. Parents sent me to catechism, this is where my first doubts also began. As a curious 11 year old I asked questions, till the nuns talked to my parents and said that I asked too many questions. Faith is about belief and obedience, not questions, they said. Looking back I could tell my parents, especially my father, held their noses and took the attitude that this is almost over, so hang in there. I now thank those nuns.

'If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice'
- Neil Peart, Rush
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
I went through a plethora of religions before I finally became an atheist, but I'd rather talk about a friend for this post. It's rather interesting.

Her parents never discussed religion with her as a child. Absolutely nothing. The way she found out about "God" was on the playground. Other children started talking about it, and she asked "God who?" Although we have a bit of a laugh about it now I can imagine it would be a rather confusing experience for a child to hear from a classmate that everything was created by an invisible man that watches you 24-7. So I guess a word of caution for parents: give your kids a little heads up before sending them off. Better for them to here it first from you than from someone else.
02-11-2013, 08:47 PM
Still am.
06-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I might have always been skeptical, but for a while I really wanted to believe. Not any more.

thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight. And the lord said, Even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles (Ezekiel 4:12-13)
13-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Ah yes, once a believer. At least I was thoroughly indoctrinated and went along with what the family did. Then I grew up and began to think. Now here I am a fully realized non believer!
13-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I was raised catholic but I don't remember ever really, really, buying into the faith. My mom used to ask me if I felt the holly spirit while in church to which I would always say "no". Latter I understood this bother my family so I would simply keep quiet. It was in my teens that I decided not to get confirmed as a catholic, and latter on to simply stop practicing altogether. Pretty much everyone I know is a theist in some form or fashion so I try not engage in too many arguments with the people closest to me.

It is a little weird. I'm not really "in the closet" as pretty much everyone has heard me be openly critical of religion and other hocus-pocus, but most of my family simply denies that I could be an unbeliever. We just don't talk about it.

I'm not hostile to religion in general, although I find fundies of any stripe quite scary.

Anyway... that's my 2 cents.
13-11-2013, 10:50 AM
(02-11-2013 08:47 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Still am.

Still am what? A "believer"....?

Why? And in what?

"People don't go to heaven when they die; they're taken to a special room and burned!" Evil_monster