Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
18-01-2014, 12:47 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I answered no because I cannot remember ever believing in a god, at least no more than I believed in Dan Dare, Biggles or The Lone Ranger. Most of my life I have been a "Don't care", up until 9/11 when I started taking some serious note of what religion has been guilty of.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2014, 05:58 PM
well i grew up in a very religious town so there were these special religious feasts for the youth but i only went there to troll people
[+] 1 user Likes jorn113's post
23-01-2014, 12:54 PM
For most of my life I tried to believe. I participated in bible studies, retreats, played in numerous church choirs, got married in the church, etc, etc, etc. Now that I accept the fact I don't I can see that I was only trying, but never really did.
25-01-2014, 10:16 AM
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

i was never one, but i was forced to act like one until i was about 12

i fought very hard with my cultist mom trying to convince her that she was wrong

i learned very quick that theists are no smarter than your average dog and only understand what their weekly croud believes, and can only regurgitate their opinions
25-01-2014, 10:03 PM
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

Only given choice of never or once believed so I said never even though I really tried.

Moodie
26-01-2014, 01:55 AM
No. My Mom barely went to church (my Dad never went but did believe), and only took me along a few times when I was a kid. I remember joining a Sunday school class and being really uncomfortable because I didn't know any of the prayers or stories or songs. I went to a Christian Summer camp twice for punishment as a teenager, where I thankfully managed to find all of the other misfits and rejects. As an adult I haven't found a real reason to believe. My Mom has now gone into God hyper mode since my Dad died 6 years ago, and has tried to get me to join her church. My friends at work have told me that I need God in my life. My friends online are constantly sending me Jesus memes. I get flyers on my door from church organizations wanting me to join. Refusing it all has internally been easy because I'm annoyed by it, but it's sort of makes me feel like the outsider.
28-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Yup. I always questioned religion since preschool (as most Atheists do), and I slowly moved away from Christianity.
29-01-2014, 09:39 PM
Yes, the kind who would witness on airplanes, knock on your door, I took the threat of hell to my fellow man very seriously and was probably even more obnoxious than people pushing vitamins and organic food.
It's been a long journey out, and I'm just now seeing how circular our logic and thinking was.
I was even trained in Creationism by Ken Ham, stood in line for hours to hear Jerry Falwell preach.
I'm currently struggling through the realization of how 'programmed' I was, and pained by how much programming I did.
I was very good at 'seeing' the spiritual world and living for 'heaven'
I'm finding that so much of who I am was crippled by the idea that I was such a sinner that only God could love me.
I read an article today about sex slaves and how they are beaten down and told that only a pimp could love a ho and just cried as I realized how much that sounded like why I should never have left the safety of the church because only god could love a sinner like me.
[+] 2 users Like GwenB3's post
30-01-2014, 12:15 AM
(29-01-2014 09:39 PM)GwenB3 Wrote:  Yes, the kind who would witness on airplanes, knock on your door, I took the threat of hell to my fellow man very seriously and was probably even more obnoxious than people pushing vitamins and organic food.
It's been a long journey out, and I'm just now seeing how circular our logic and thinking was.
I was even trained in Creationism by Ken Ham, stood in line for hours to hear Jerry Falwell preach.
I'm currently struggling through the realization of how 'programmed' I was, and pained by how much programming I did.
I'm finding that so much of who I am was crippled by the idea that I was such a sinner that only God could love me.
I read an article today about sex slaves and how they are beaten down and told that only a pimp could love a ho and just cried as I realized how much that sounded like why I should never have left the safety of the church because only god could love a sinner like me.

You made it out though! Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-01-2014, 11:25 AM
(29-01-2014 09:39 PM)GwenB3 Wrote:  Yes, the kind who would witness on airplanes, knock on your door, I took the threat of hell to my fellow man very seriously and was probably even more obnoxious than people pushing vitamins and organic food.

[Image: AbuseByGod.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post