Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
24-01-2011, 06:51 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
Never was an official member of any religion. Did a lot of poking about and reading about various ones though. Called myself an agnostic for years, eventually someone (rightly) pointed out that I didn't believe in god(s) so technically I was an agnostic atheist. I still wasn't overly bothered with religion most of the time. Then I moved to the south for school... XD New Mexico wasn't bad to be fair, but you pay a lot more attention to the crazy stuff Texas is doing when you are ~ 50 miles away from the state line.

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot, is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave." ~Sir William Drummond
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2011, 09:27 PM
(24-01-2011 06:51 PM)azurerosa Wrote:  but you pay a lot more attention to the crazy stuff Texas is doing when you are ~ 50 miles away from the state line.

You can't imagine. Big Grin

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
24-01-2011, 09:50 PM
(24-01-2011 09:27 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  
(24-01-2011 06:51 PM)azurerosa Wrote:  but you pay a lot more attention to the crazy stuff Texas is doing when you are ~ 50 miles away from the state line.

You can't imagine. Big Grin

Likely not, but what I did hear about scared the piss out of me.

"He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot, is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave." ~Sir William Drummond
28-01-2011, 10:14 PM

The only answer I have to this question is that when I was a little girl I pretended many things. Barbie was real (psst, I made her real....she did whatever I said and even used my voice as her own). And I made god real. I don't think I ever really believed, but that, like many others, I grew up and stopped pretending. I think I always kind of knew I was pretending, and I think I had a moment of clarity, or at least one that stuck in my head, the day my mother said to seven-year-old me, "I feel the conviction to stop wearing shorts and pants and only wear long skirts or dresses." We were attending a Church of God at the time. I remember asking, "Why?" and she had no real answer, just that she felt this "conviction" to god and planned to start the next week. It only lasted about two weeks but her faith still has not flagged some thirty years and many other such convictions later. It feels just absurd to me now as it did then.
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2011, 08:23 AM

nope.

I didnt even realise members of my family did more than make the gestures when told to.

the bible was just another book i could get marks for knowing about in school. it was even better than the others because i only had to remember what was in it to get good marks and not think about the writing techniques used or any of the things they made us do for rainman or the power of one.
31-01-2011, 09:34 PM

I was "born into" Eastern Orthodox christianity. A nice greek family that went through the motions. Mostly on Easter and Christmas when we would visit my devout grandmother. It wasnt so much pushed on all of us kids (I have 3 older brothers). We were more exposed to it. My father never explicitly told any of us that he believed, but I had no other frame of reference but to assume. When I was 15 and 16, I helped my best friend with alterboy duties at my local Orthodox church (and the answer is "no, I wasnt. Thats the catholics"). We were more about being stupid kids than the religious aspect. He' play jokes on me to make me look like an idiot and he'd chuckle quietly for an hour.
Well, I tried Baptist church at around 17 and thought "Im going to hell? Thats the message?" And thus that chapter ended abruptly.

I never "needed" a god in my life. Id pray for the usual things "oh god, get me out of trouble" but nothing that would force me to evaluate the likelyhood of a gods existance. 2004 started my real awakening and my journey has brought me here to connect with like minds.
31-01-2011, 11:04 PM

(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

Yeah i used to believe pretty heavily, then i just kinda started thinking... WHOAH, this shiiiiit doesnt make sense!
12-02-2011, 12:59 PM

I use to be a major believe in Christianity. I would go to church and youth group every week, I would go to all of these church events, I would pray and read the bible everyday, and buy so much Christian merchandise.

It wasn't until high school when I started questioning my beliefs. Why is homosexuality a sin other then just cause? Why can't I be a working mother? Why is it so bad to want to read literature outside Christian books? Why are science and histry so bad for our minds? Why do we speak ill on other religions when teach love?

It wasn't until my Sophomore year of high school that it's all one persons opinion! Oh, and the two-faced part-time Christians, that only care about you as a number in the seat than an actual human being did the trick too.
15-02-2011, 02:12 PM

I was Roman Catholic until 12. Then I started having atheist thoughts and doubting the existence of a higher power.
19-02-2011, 11:26 PM
well, I was, since I'm born in a Christian family. science is better than religion !!