Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
21-02-2011, 08:11 AM

RE: Were you once a believer?
Well yes and no. When I was growing up we never went to church or read the Bible, we just said grace at dinner and bedtime (until I was about 10, for some reason we just stopped doing it) so I wasn't very exposed to it, I guess my only way to explain it is that my belief was just there, I never really acknowledged it until I turned 11.
Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2011, 06:03 AM
well, at first I am since I'm born in a christian family, but I was never too religious and after I'm about 20 I think I went abroad for university and from then on I'm wondering about whether religion is true but I'm one of those ppl sitting in the fence with that "what if hell is true" mentality, but after a while, thanks for the internet and seeing all the injustice in the world done in the name of religion, slowly I shifted my train of thought and last year I found Richard Dawkins, watched his videos, now reading his book, and finding TTA, I'm now an unbeliever.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2011, 03:48 PM

I was a fervent believer when I was young, but not because of any huge religious upbringing, we were C of E, but my parents never went to church, except for weddings and funerals.

I studied for five years with a lovely Jehovah's witness lady, but when I started to question the contradictions, she stopped coming around.

I'll have to blame David Attenborough for my atheism. Sperm Wars really did it for me. If there was life after death, why would all animals, including us, risk so much just to pass on our DNA if there was another life waiting for us?
03-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Eh. My parents didn't frequent church much back when I was a kid. I was dragged to church many sundays, but everybody went reluctantly. Still, i was taught to believe in God and the bible, and I did for the most part.

In fact, I even remember the first time I met an atheist. That poor child. We were both in third grade and everyone had found out he was an atheist and me and like, two other kids confronted him about it. "How could you not believe in god, you idiot?" "you're going to hell" "you're stupid". I remember I could never look at that kid the same, he just seemed so evil after that.

Haha, poor Robert Salter.
07-03-2011, 01:04 AM
My mom's side of the family is very religious, so my brother and I were raised in their RLDS church (It didn't help that my grandparents were Elders). After my mom passed away, my brother, dad, and I went to church less frequent, and even tried a few other churches.

Looking back though, the three of us dealt with my Mom's death differently, I delved into school and studied science and math (I thought that understanding how the world worked would help me even the score with Yahweh), my brother took a more philosophical approach and has settled into a deist or pantheist ideology, and my dad has since remarried and gotten closer to God.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2011, 04:12 AM

I answered yes, but I'm not sure that I ever really had faith. I've been skeptical for as long as I can remember. I was brought up in the catholic church, and I tried to believe, but I always had a lot of questions, such as:

How do we know that our religion is right and all the others are wrong?

Why would a loving god punish people who didn't believe in him when they had never even been exposed to Christianity and hence never had an opportunity to believe in him?

If god created man less than a week after he made the earth, where are all of these dinosaur bones coming from? The scientists say that they were on earth millions of years before man!

And perhaps most troubling to me: Why does god never answer my prayers or communicate with me in any way?

Of course the only answer I could get from my mom or anyone else in the church was "You just need to have faith and stop questioning everything". This did not sit well with me. Sometime around age 12 I had had enough (can it really be correct to use the same word twice in a row? It just looks funny) and just stopped trying to believe. Luckily it wasn't too long after this that my dad, who was raised lutheran but has never gone to church in my lifetime, convinced my mom that it was wrong to force me to go to church if I didn't want to.
08-03-2011, 12:18 AM
Good questions. When the questions are better than the answers, something is wrong.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
09-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Was I once a believer? Yep. Even with all the unanswered questions I had, I drank the Kool-Aid. I'm proud to say I've been completely clean for 13 years. Big Grin
10-03-2011, 12:54 AM
I am starting to see a Gaussian deviation in this poll, wish is something I expected...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-03-2011, 10:19 PM

Stopped believing at around the age of 13.. All I had to do was think skeptically about it and it went away.. but fairly easy in a country that doesn't hold religion seriously.