Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
05-08-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I really don't know, to tell you the truth. Either way, I'm just glad I got out of it when I did. Any longer and I'd probably not be on these forums. It was starting to stick pretty deep.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Lightning's post
13-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I did but I was such a confused kid. I couldn't understand (at the age of 6) why someone who had all this power didn't use it. So then I read about atheism and was like this is it.
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I can not vote for the sole reason being that as a child my baptism was enforced, I only believed because it relieved me from the fear of hell. But as I got older, I grew to fear my devout sister more, and I also grew to fear heaven more than hell. She does not welcome any understanding, but as Carl Buechner once said, "they may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel."

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
14-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Yes, I was raised as a Christian. Luckily I de-converted.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
14-08-2012, 05:31 AM
I tried to be. I don't think I ever really was though. It wasn't something that was of any high importance in my family.

My Year Of the Bible - A blog on reading the Bible

Fear is strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground.
- Terry Pratchett
19-08-2012, 08:03 AM
I've tried to believe a few different times in my life and came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me.

All Roads Lead Somewhere...

"The wisest men follow their own direction."
Euripides (484 BCE - 406 BCE)
19-08-2012, 08:09 AM
(19-08-2012 08:03 AM)SJA58 Wrote:  I've tried to believe a few different times in my life and came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me.

Believe or not believe, there is no try. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Were you once a believer?
(19-08-2012 08:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-08-2012 08:03 AM)SJA58 Wrote:  I've tried to believe a few different times in my life and came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me.

Believe or not believe, there is no try. Consider

Hey Chas, he looks kinda like you!

Welcome SJA. Glad you decided to stop trying. Life is so much simpler when you don't have to work hard at believing something that can't be proven.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-08-2012, 01:56 AM
I tried to believe, because I was a little kid and wanted to know there was someone looking out for me. Then I looked around me and realized that if this god guy was real he was about as useful as my drunk parents and just as selectively observant. c:

Thankfully my mom has since gotten sober (11 years and counting! Big Grin) and decided she really doesn't believe, that her Catholic upbringing taught her he can't logically exist, and that if he does exist then he has more explaining to do to the rest of the world than the entire rest of the world does to him.

Both of us are far happier not fearing cruel dogmas and having to try to reconcile some really shitty morals that we both know are based on lies, hate, and bullshit.

I doodle.
A lot.
My cheap commissions.
My humor can also be very perverse, so forgive me if I make sexy fart jokes. :'D
[+] 3 users Like Chaos' Requiem's post
22-08-2012, 03:41 AM
I would be interested to see the average age of deconversion. It sounds like more often it was late teens. I went through a disconnect in late teens where I realized it was not as real as everybody seemed to be insisting it was. But I continued through life trying to make a self-formulated version of it work (for my wife, for my family-of-origin, so that the kids would have a "moral foundation" etc.) Finally got fed up when I looked at it from a what-are-we-teaching-our-kids perspective. Age 43.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer trekker4ever 4 274 30-08-2013 06:56 AM
Last Post: SpaceMonkey
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 982 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  INTRO - Post believer, former Southern Baptist Roger Williams 2 428 12-08-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan