Poll: Were you once religious?
Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
29-12-2010, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2010 12:45 AM by Observer.)
Were you once a believer?
I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
30-12-2010, 12:09 AM

RE: Poll: Where you once a belliever?
Oh yes! I used to be a very devout Christian; went to church, Sunday school, prayed 3 times a day, sang in a choir, I even grew up wanting to be a nun Confused. I started having questions and doubts when I was 14, and finally realized I was an Atheist when I was 18.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like mBear's post
30-12-2010, 12:13 AM

RE: Poll: Where you once a belliever?
I was never a believer and sometimes feel that I should step aside to allow ex-believers to have their say. I don't know why, maybe I just feel that they deserve it for having to endure a life of religion, or maybe its as simple as that they have more experience in a lot of areas that I don't, such as coming out to a very religious family/community.
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 04:58 AM
RE: Where you once a believer?
I voted no, but really, when I was a kid I guess I believed simply because my parents said there was a god. So the more accurate answer would be, "No, not since I was old enough to think for myself" I guess. Religion and god have never been a significant part of my life though, even as a young child.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
30-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Definitely,
When I was younger my mind would go completely blank in church.Couldn't think of anything.Was too afraid of God.Recovered in adolescence only to give in to conspiracy theories before finally being free Smile
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
30-12-2010, 07:01 AM
Does it count if one believed as a little kid, but just grew out of it?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
30-12-2010, 08:26 AM
(30-12-2010 07:01 AM)Kikko Wrote:  Does it count if one believed as a little kid, but just grew out of it?
I was in the same situation and I voted "YES".

The reason why I posted this poll is because I'm asking myself if you would grow out another person if you where never subject to serious believes. I am also wondering if you become more hardened in your atheist view when you are "a convert" (there is something as "the fanaticism of the convert")

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I used to believe. In all sorts of things.

Since my early teen years though, I had never been particularly devout, though I fully "recognized" (as a result of the brain washing) that I should have been more devout. I should have read my Bible more (actually I should have, it probably would have started certain things a lot sooner), I should have prayed more, I should have gone to church, etc.

I still kick myself for not examining my beliefs I did. Before my deconversion I was a Christian, then at one point more of a deist with cultural Christian leanings, and for about a month or so I considered myself a Progressive Christian - in which you still believe in God or higher power, but you see Jesus (the historical or the legend or however you choose to see him) as a prophet or teacher. That version's fun cuz you just make up whatever you like and pull anything from any other religion that you want to. Any question is answered with "I think..." Big Grin

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
30-12-2010, 09:13 AM
(30-12-2010 09:04 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Any question is answered with "I think..." Big Grin
Cool... where do i sign in? Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
30-12-2010, 09:30 AM
(30-12-2010 09:13 AM)The_observer Wrote:  
(30-12-2010 09:04 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Any question is answered with "I think..." Big Grin
Cool... where do i sign in? Smile

http://www.tcpc.org/template/index.cfm

To be fair, I will still give these people props for wanting to (and beginning to) develop a kinder, more inclusive, morally-based, evolving religion. It is a bit more philosophy-based than dogma-based. In the end I just wanted more answers (I was on a huge "who was Jesus" kick) and Christianity of any flavor just doesn't have those answers - especially when they claim to.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer trekker4ever 4 274 30-08-2013 06:56 AM
Last Post: SpaceMonkey
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 982 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  INTRO - Post believer, former Southern Baptist Roger Williams 2 428 12-08-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan