No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
(07-01-2011 01:17 AM)No J. Wrote:  
(05-01-2011 08:06 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  By no means do I want to take peoples religious beliefs away from them. I just want to live in a world where children are taught to think for themselves instead of indoctrinated from birth

These two sentences, in my experience, are incompatable with each other. As long as there is religion, there is child indoctranation.

I used to think that religion was on the wane and people where accepting reality more, but I got a wake-up call that alerted me to the dangers that religion is posing to our society. I feel that most religions will always be vying for power and control and when they get it, there will be hell to pay, literally.

I whole-heartedly agree, but I can Imagine, can't I? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes you can, but will that imagined scene prevent you from doing something that improves any situation that you can influence?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM

(01-01-2011 08:41 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Congratulations. Wink

I live in the bible belt, and a lot of the people here strike me as foam-at-the-mouth crazy. When I read a post like yours, I can't help but wonder how many of them ever question their faith.

They can't all be this crazy, can they? Can they??? Confused

I went to a Christian college in the south, and boy howdy, I think they are definitely that crazy. I honestly don't think many of them ("us?") ever question our belief system far enough back to get to the point of atheism.

I think there are a few thinking Christians, but deconversion is often a process of step-by-step questioning. They question parts of their faith (Calvinist or non-Calvinist? Faith or works?) A few progress to questioning their particular denomination and may end up switching. A few more question the literality of the bible or the evidence for christianity and may change religions altogether. I think there are very few who get to the big question about whether or not god exists. It's a scary question and one that most who believe in god forget to ask.
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2011, 07:02 PM

I was born into a family that, while being both Orthodox and Catholic Christian, acknowledged sciences such as evolution and luckily weren't very forceful about their religion either.
We never went to church, read the bible, or anything. I still managed to be creationist somehow in my early years before quickly shifting to evolutionist. Then finally analyzing my religion enough and discovering Youtube, when I finally told my parents that I was atheist and was happy to hear them say "Uh, ok?" like they didn't even care, which was the best possible response to be honest.

...Wow, there's some really strange sentence structuring going on here.
08-01-2011, 09:13 PM
(07-01-2011 04:37 PM)No J. Wrote:  Yes you can, but will that imagined scene prevent you from doing something that improves any situation that you can influence?

Aw hell no I won't let it stop me! I've very much been wanting to get out there and help the atheist cause for a while, and joining this forum was my first step. We are the second most hated group in this country, and I think it's time for that to change. I am starting by conversing with fellow free thinkers online in the hopes that together we can percolate something really good, something that will blow the cover off the lies on how ignorant, hateful and obese we are all claimed to be. I will do what I can!
09-01-2011, 09:01 AM
I don't guess I ever really believed. Even though at different points in my life I SAID I did, I never really did deep down inside. I also explored just about every religion in the book and was very involved in wicca/paganism for a while. Then I was finally freed by the thought that I didn't actually have to believe in anything, or say I did when I really didn't. It just wasn't necessary for me to enjoy a complete life.
It makes me wonder though, how many people actually don't believe in any deity, but say they do and attend church/mosque/synagogue just because it is expected by their family or peers, or because they still have this nagging feeling that if they don't something bad will happen to them? I'll bet it's a lot
09-01-2011, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2011 04:06 PM by No J..)
(08-01-2011 09:13 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Aw hell no I won't let it stop me!

Wonderful.
(09-01-2011 09:01 AM)catdance62 Wrote:  It makes me wonder though, how many people actually don't believe in any deity, but say they do and attend church/mosque/synagogue just because it is expected by their family or peers, or because they still have this nagging feeling that if they don't something bad will happen to them? I'll bet it's a lot

Yes, I agree. I have read three autographical stories written by priests and ministers who lost their belief, but are still preaching. Two of them didn't know how to get out and find another source of income and the other is working out a plan to leave and get a real job.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
10-01-2011, 06:54 AM

As a child and throughout my teens (I'm 27 now) I had a core belief in God and at times a belief in Jesus, but to a lesser degree. I wasn't brainwashed into anything, occasionally we went to church with my grandparents or whatever. Religion can be powerful stuff though, churches make quite a good presentation that when you are young and impressionable why would you NOT believe? As I became an adolescent I started to question all of the FACTS that just did not make any sense (ie where did god come from, why are there other religions that are different, that so many others believe in?) and my belief changed to basically believing that maybe God created the universe but that all the Biblical stuff was more of a fable then anything. It wasn't until the last few years that I finally shook off the crazy idea that God can see what you are doing, reading your mind, can send you to hell (and that there IS NO hell). Reading Sam Harris' book END OF FAITH helped do just that!
12-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Methinks this thread should be moved out of the intro section. Any objections?

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2011, 04:20 PM
(12-01-2011 04:08 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Methinks this thread should be moved out of the intro section. Any objections?
Pro: It is a way to get to know each other
Con: it's getting quite large

Suggestions on where to put it? (the answer better not has anything to do with sunshine or the lack of it Big Grin)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Recent Non-Believer trekker4ever 4 275 30-08-2013 06:56 AM
Last Post: SpaceMonkey
  Ex-Jehovah's Witness turned non-believer valpohawkeye 10 992 11-05-2013 09:05 PM
Last Post: smidgen
  INTRO - Post believer, former Southern Baptist Roger Williams 2 429 12-08-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan