Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I could sticky it here or move to the Coffeehouse.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2011, 04:47 PM
If you make it sticky, it stays, whats the difference?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM
(12-01-2011 04:47 PM)The_observer Wrote:  If you make it sticky, it stays, whats the difference?

It's up top, with the other not-strictly-intro threads like the map and age threads.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
12-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Oh, I voted but don't think I ever got around to posting. Tongue

I used to believe hard. I was raised in a conservative fundamentalist Christian family and apologetics and Bible study was introduced deep and early in my life. I almost went to the Ambassador's Academy (a "witnessing" class lead by Ray Comfort himself) with my dad and brother, but the seats available were limited and I gave up mine for someone else, planning to go the next year (the next year I became an atheist instead Tongue). When they returned, I read/preached "the Word" on the street corner of my town with them. I used circular logic and worn-out apologetics that I believed to be true and logical to shut down any atheists that got frustrated with me.

At least, I believed it through acknowledgement and word and deed and "fruit". One of the main factors that made me become an atheist was the fact that I realized that when I thought of God, I had to think of him outside of things that I thought of as real. I had to think of him the same way I thought of D&D gods, as if he were just made up, instead of thinking of like like I think of a family member that I really do have a true personal relationship with. I dismissed this for the longest time, believing that it was the work of Satan, and that I had "objectively" felt God's presence along with tens of other people in my church on a regular basis.

I was a fool. I looked again recently at the arguments of fundamentalists like I used to use and was baffled by the under/miseducation that I used and believed to be true and logical. At least I'm over it now? lol

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
13-01-2011, 02:11 AM
(12-01-2011 04:51 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(12-01-2011 04:47 PM)The_observer Wrote:  If you make it sticky, it stays, whats the difference?

It's up top, with the other not-strictly-intro threads like the map and age threads.
You can do that.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
13-01-2011, 05:55 AM
I was a 'believer' until about 2 years ago when I was honest with myself. I say 'believer' because for as long as I can remember I always had doubts. It felt like I was a christian because others wanted me to and I constantly searched for what others said they felt. I never felt like a true christian and to be honest my path to becoming an out of the closet atheist was much longer due to my fear of admitting it to myself. Once I did that I felt like there was a huge weight off my shoulders.
17-01-2011, 11:15 AM

I was never forced into religion or atheism... I can remember my parents making me go to church a few times when i was a small child but i assume that was so they could get rid of me for an hour or so as they never went themselves xD... I also remember singing religious songs in school... I think it's sick. They made us sing happy songs about how god murdered almost every person in a flood.. what the... I hope they don't do that any more...
Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2011, 05:26 AM
(17-01-2011 11:15 AM)Speiraz Wrote:  I also remember singing religious songs in school... I think it's sick. They made us sing happy songs about how god murdered almost every person in a flood.. what the... I hope they don't do that any more...
I remember having to sing a song about offerings. As a kid I made a pantomime out of it (much in the sense of the TORN video by Natalie Imbruglia and Johann Lippowitz). After all these years I still think that was hilarious. (I am still secretly proud that I made a mess out of religion classes Blush )

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
22-01-2011, 12:11 AM

i was a christian for like 5 month but i never had doubt in science. i guess that's called being semi christian. but then i noticed how stupid it was and i have been a very firm atheist ever since.
23-01-2011, 08:20 AM

I was raised in a Christian cult referred to as the Church With No Name, the Cooneyites, the Black Stockings, 2X2's (2 by 2's)... I was never a believer and counted the days till I was out from under my parent's control and abuse.

It's hard to believe in a loving God when you are being literally beaten in an attempt to force you to believe and conform. Perhaps things would have been different had I been raised in a loving Christian home. Although I doubt it as I have always been one to question everything.

It took many years to leave the guilt of not believing behind. When you are beaten for not conforming, it is easy to relate to God's punishment for the transgression of non-belief. I tried being a Christian for a short time and attended several churches. What discouraged me the most was people who couldn't explain why they believed other than the Bible said so.

And I do not understand people who say they would rather believe and find out God doesn't exist than to not believe and find out God does exist. That is not belief, but fear...a just-in-case senario that is not true belief. Would God not recognize that?

Like everyone else, I do not know what comes after the so-called death of my body; but I am not afraid. Bring it on.