Yes, I used to believe once.
No, I never did.
[Show Results]

Were you once a believer?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
23-08-2012, 09:34 AM
RE: Were you once a believer?
I was raised in a Catholic household. Went to Sunday school and church every Sunday. I recall actually, truly believing in the nonsense through my High school years. I would even pray, despite never getting answers.
The weird thing is that growing up my Dad would always stay home on Sunday while my mom would take us four boys out to do the religious stuff. He only went to church a couple times a year. It wasn't until my mother died of Ovarian cancer that my Dad suddenly found Jesus. I'll never understand it.
Anyway, I don't recall exactly when I stopped believing. It was probably around 20 or so. That's when I really started thinking for myself and doing my own thing. Tons of internet research(and a lot of thinking) later and I was a hardcore vocal Atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 05:20 PM
I voted "no." I was raised Catholic, but I don't think I ever really believed in it. I remember being scolded for rolling my eyes back in my head in my first communion photo (age 8), and I whined and pitched a fit every sunday because I didn't want to go to church. When I did go, I actually had these little plastic dinosaur toys I would play with on the pew, instead of listening to the sermon. I think my mom decided I was a lost cause and didn't make me go anymore around age 9. My dad was an atheist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-08-2012, 02:00 PM
lol surprised this question was on here buttt... yes i used to be. though it was kind of weird becauseI only liked god till age ten{I think} then I entered what I will now declare my post christian pre-atheist phaze. It was where I thought there was a god but he was a {add obvious word here} and that would be a good description of what I was. believed in god and thought he was evil. weird I know. I then went through a non-theist phase. where I said I'll figure it out when I get there. I can tell how long that lasted. {1 month.}

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
25-08-2012, 04:46 PM
If you read my bio or check out my blog you will know that I was once a believer. I was raised in a Christian, church-going (SBC) home and was homeschooled. From the age of 10 until I went to college I lived on the campus of a Southern Baptist seminary, and I attended a small SBC school. I've worked at three churches as the music director and currently I still do. That's why I'm secret.

I stopped believing in god 10 or so years ago, without fully realizing/accepting it. 2 and a half years ago, after reading the Dennett/LaScola study, I was able to admit to myself, and some close friends, that I am an atheist.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah, hook line and sinker. Once my ambition was to be a religious leader on the level of Billy Graham. Used to be president of Youth for Christ Off Campus Club in High School, our Bible quiz team placed 2nd in the National finals, memorized the Book of Jonah, every period and coma. At the same time I was also President of the Computer Explorer Post 305, sponsored by General Dynamics Corporation, Sierra mesa California. Our Post 305, as honored guests, front row seats/table literally, were invited to the first meeting at the El Cortez Hotel, downtown S.D., California shortly after the U.S. lost the space race/ the Sputnik/to the Russians, and the head of NASA, had some explaining to do. He claimed we lost the race because of the "religious lobbyist in Washington were literally afraid we'd hit angles on the other side of the clouds", so they stalled funding until, we lost the race. it was many years/decades later via Eisenhower's Memoirs that he revealed it was a tactical decision on his part in regard to future violations of air space liabilities etc., and he wanted the Russians to be the bad guys, not the U.S. The leaders of the Post 305, brilliant people, read Hex like we test today. Favorite question from the experience was whether it was morally correct to create computerized Human beings. Since changing persuasions, have algorithms to accomplish just that, if any one is interested. Was also Vice President of the on Campus Bible club, and started the on Campus Chess Club. Really like 3 layer chess. Now an enthusiast of GO, TagURit on FlyorDie.com, or KGS sites.
01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm a convert, though I would never say I was a true believer or really religious.
08-09-2012, 02:26 PM
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

I'm not sure I was a believer in all of the grandeur of religion, I just believed my parents wouldn't lie to me. I went to a Catholic separate school where I was the only student in my year to bother to read the bible and question it all (the priest would never answer my questions). I went to church every Sunday and said my prayers and did 1st communion, and confirmation.

Then I just discovered one day, much like the way Christopher Hitchens describes it...I just realized one day that it was all bullshit. I just knew that people got it wrong. Very wrong.

Now I spend a good deal of time confronting a number of these people and trying to educate those who may sit on the fence, while entertaining the rest of the non-believers.

Check out my latest post on my blog: Bill Nye, CNN, and a So-Called Doctor:

http://theidiotsguidetoindoctrination.blogspot.ca/

Question every angle, Study every angle, Research every angle
08-09-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: Poll: Where you once a belliever?
(30-12-2010 12:13 AM)godlessirish Wrote:  I was never a believer and sometimes feel that I should step aside to allow ex-believers to have their say.

Don't step aside. We all need to give our say. You've had a life of seeing how silly it all is. We need time to re-group from having lived in that life, lol.

Question every angle, Study every angle, Research every angle
[+] 1 user Likes GeneralHeresy's post
11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi, I was a Christian for about 16 years. Born and raised in Cape Town, mostly all the schools in the area(especially goverment ones) are Christian, so it's drilled into you (in a fun way). I remember doing Praise & Worship, nice songs and all, but I now realise we were just all sinning songs, nothing more, nothing less.

for as long as I can remember, I've asked two questions about God:

Who made him? (Seeing as nothing can come from nothing and all that) &
Why flood the earth and then send himself, why not just forgive us. I mean, eh?

I still believed though (in god, not the dribble of the bible), that is, until I discoverd the FB page "Religion Poisens Everything", I went trough the pictures and realised the absolute absurdity of the sky-daddy principle, and the lack of evidence thereof. Following that were several superb YouTube videos by Hitchens and Fry, TTA, DM2525 and TAE, I dropped the idea of a being all together.

Now I spend my time trying not to argue with absolutly everyone who are still deluded by the church and their dogma.

A bit long, sorry.

[Image: hecf-1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes hawkeyecf's post
11-09-2012, 12:51 PM
(11-09-2012 12:43 PM)hawkeyecf Wrote:  Hi, I was a Christian for about 16 years. Born and raised in Cape Town, mostly all the schools in the area(especially goverment ones) are Christian, so it's drilled into you (in a fun way). I remember doing Praise & Worship, nice songs and all, but I now realise we were just all sinning songs, nothing more, nothing less.

for as long as I can remember, I've asked two questions about God:

Who made him? (Seeing as nothing can come from nothing and all that) &
Why flood the earth and then send himself, why not just forgive us. I mean, eh?

I still believed though (in god, not the dribble of the bible), that is, until I discoverd the FB page "Religion Poisens Everything", I went trough the pictures and realised the absolute absurdity of the sky-daddy principle, and the lack of evidence thereof. Following that were several superb YouTube videos by Hitchens and Fry, TTA, DM2525 and TAE, I dropped the idea of a being all together.

Now I spend my time trying not to argue with absolutly everyone who are still deluded by the church and their dogma.

A bit long, sorry.

Yay 'nother South African! Welcome Smile