Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes hawkeyecf's post
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM
RE: Were you once a believer?
(11-09-2012 01:00 PM)hawkeyecf Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 12:51 PM)morondog Wrote:  Yay 'nother South African! Welcome Smile

Goeie Môre. Smile

Hoe gaan dit ? Wink

Actually I must confess that I'm a Zimbabwean so while I'd love to speak Afrikaans I can't manage too much of it, however I can count to ten, ask for a cup of coffee and usually understand when someone is swearing at me Smile
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
(11-09-2012 01:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  Actually I must confess that I'm a Zimbabwean so while I'd love to speak Afrikaans I can't manage too much of it, however I can count to ten, ask for a cup of coffee and usually understand when someone is swearing at me Smile

You probably don't have to understand any languages to know that someone is usually swearing at you... Laughat

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
(11-09-2012 01:08 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(11-09-2012 01:00 PM)hawkeyecf Wrote:  Goeie Môre. Smile

Hoe gaan dit ? Wink

Actually I must confess that I'm a Zimbabwean so while I'd love to speak Afrikaans I can't manage too much of it, however I can count to ten, ask for a cup of coffee and usually understand when someone is swearing at me Smile

Heck, my Afrikaans is crap.

Been living in SA all my life and still can't really speak it. >.<

[Image: hecf-1.png]
13-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Rainbow RE: Were you once a believer?
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

I was very much so a believer. I even was taught to say things like "Scientist are reading from the wrong book". Like I had ever read the "Holy word of God". I'm ashamed of all the wrong I did during that time. All the people I was so cruel to.
I'm thankful that I actually got around to reading the bible to learn how wrong I had been.
I'm sorry to all the scientist I called wrong Einstein and I'm sorry to all the worshiping nuts out there. Worship Slaves I hope one day you learn the real truth. Heart

Heart
13-09-2012, 09:52 PM
(13-09-2012 09:05 PM)TheYoungOne Wrote:  
(29-12-2010 11:52 PM)Observer Wrote:  I wonder... Are most of the forum users "converted believers" or where they always atheist?.

I was very much so a believer. I even was taught to say things like "Scientist are reading from the wrong book". Like I had ever read the "Holy word of God". I'm ashamed of all the wrong I did during that time. All the people I was so cruel to.
I'm thankful that I actually got around to reading the bible to learn how wrong I had been.
I'm sorry to all the scientist I called wrong Einstein and I'm sorry to all the worshiping nuts out there. Worship Slaves I hope one day you learn the real truth. Heart

Welcome aboard kid, we need more teens like you an me.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
14-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I once believed in a god creator, yes, Christian.
God believers often make the mistake of thinking that athiests believe in nothing. I tell them, "on the contrary, I am free to believe in and support a great many things about being human that you the god believer cannot. I am free"
I moved away from belief in god when I was fully compromised, that is, separated from being fully human and the ability to experience and love the human as we are--wonderful and often not wonderful.
[+] 2 users Like depat's post
21-09-2012, 01:01 AM
I was a believer when i was young. when i was 9 years old my school gave out a bible to everyone, and once i read it i said to myself, " well now that just doesn't make sense at all. " What i can't understand with theist people is why do they still believe? i was 9 when i realized the bible was just complete;y full of crap, why cant they understand that? lol
28-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes.
I was fortunate to never having to attend church however. My mom came from devout Catholics. My Catholic grandma doesn't like the church and firmly believes women should be allowed in the priesthood and she never attended church, but still firmly believes in basic Catholicism and she taught me how to pray Catholic style. My grampa was always attended church and he was the nicest person I ever met. My mom did that whole catechism purity thing and had me dunked in water when I was born but my dad didn't like her going to church and made her stop. On my dad's side I have ancestry traced back to Puritans. My grandma was raised baptists, is educated, says she is an existentialist, but goes to church, prays, and said she laughed hysterically when her friend who's a Baptist minister said he knew evolution was wrong in a sermon he talked her into going, much to her disliking. My other grampa was Jewish and I never knew him.
My dad had degrees in sociology and anthropology but believes in some higher power. But my mom believes in a very personal theistic god. My mom really thinks atheism is doom and gloom and didn't want me to grow to not believe in God. When I was a kid my guitar teacher, an evangelical, talked my mom into giving me a book that he said would make me be close to god. It was an intelligent design book. I read it and I kind of liked it only because of how it made it seem like humans were descended from higher beings. I used to fancy the idea that maybe scientists will one day discover how to make us live to be 900 like Adam in the Bible. It was what was in it though that made me question creationism though; a claim it made about the air the dinosaurs must have breathed made me think right then and their that would make it the other way around - evolution was right. So I knew I was baptized as a Catholic, looked up online what we believe on evolution, saw the Vatican saw no problem with it, and my interest turned back to Harry Potter, UFO stories, Lord of The Rings, etc.
When I was an older kid I used to think communism meant atheism was no good and American atheist were just whiny depressed people who had nothing better to do than argue about the Pledge of Allegiance.
Then I got morbidly depressed as a teenager and tried to pray to God for help but I just shrank and shrank into a deeper depression until the pains I felt in my head and body from the clinical depression were so great I just couldn't think anymore. It was very painful. When I got out of that I leaned more and more about Christianity from the History Channel. It got me really interested in religion but whenever I watched the shows on The Seven Deadly Sins they always showed what science has to say, whether it was lust, greed, pride, sloth, or hatred. I learned about deism too, figured hey are founding fathers were deist they were pretty smart, maybe the deist god made a heaven maybe it didn't, I'll just live as nice as I can. Then college. The fact that I was gay and couldn't change myself no matter how hard I tried surfaced from the back of my head. What I was seeing from politics made me anguished. I found online for every religious moderate that said if Jesus is real I'll be fine for being gay and having doubts, there was a hundred more who said I'll rot in Hell. I could reach no conclusion on if Hell was Sheol, the grave, or Gehenna, the lake of fire. Said to myself evolution is correct, discount what non-evolutionist say. Found it was only the Catholic church that was cool with evolution yet still believed I was evil and bound for Hell. I learned what theoretical physicists have to say about atheism, bought it, and was cool for a few months. Watched plenty of debates online on the existence of God for my own amusement. Got comfort from my atheist philosophy teacher. Then got depressed again, probably from my super-ego punishing my ego for my grades and shyness with no results, and went into a faith crisis again just wanting someone to tell me I'll be ok in my life.
Now I'm finally balanced. I know both Descartes, Aquinas, and Hegal, as well as Marx, Nietzsche, evolution (university level), and the big bang and M theory (only in laymen terms), and I'm very content with myself for having escaped a faith crisis where others have not.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
[+] 2 users Like Chase's post
28-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks so much for such a heart opening look into your life: you have so much to offer, and I am glad you are free.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post